BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
AutoFFF
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M Competition

Seeking Advice: Choosing Between 2024 BMW X5M and X5 M60i

Hi everyone,

We are new to this forum. As first-time BMW buyers, we find ourselves at a crossroads between the 2024 BMW X5M and X5 M60i (slightly leaning towards X5M). While both models have their unique appeal, We are particularly interested in understanding how they hold their value over a period of four years.

Given the unpredictable nature of the market, especially with the impact of the pandemic, we would greatly appreciate hearing from those who have insights or personal experiences regarding the depreciation and value retention of these models over a four-year period. While we recognize that factors such as market conditions, mileage, and maintenance play a role, we would greatly appreciate any input or opinions on which of these models is more likely to hold its value over the course of four years.

Plus, any data points for discounts in PA, NJ, DE and NY would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Hi and welcome to the forum. As you’ll see shortly you probably will get a few different options and hopefully good points of view to help in that decision.

But having said that I think choosing between the X5M and M60 purely based on depreciation is probably the wrong way to approach it. Frankly that would be the last think I would consider. I did too briefly consider both cars and ended up getting the 24 X5M 2 weeks ago and absolutely don’t regret the decision.

They are very different cars in my opinion, drive quite differently and just have a different purpose. If you haven’t driven either one, please do so, you can always test drive a pre LCI X5M to get an idea.

I made the mistake in the past when I bought a 335i and should have got an M3. Eventually rectified the problem but yeah ended up loosing quite a bit on deprecation.

Finally yes an X5M will be more desirable in the secondary market but also harder to sell. All will depend on what the market will be,how well you maintain the car etc etc. Also this might me the last V8 X5M so maybe it will hold value better maybe not.
ERC429.50
R-M4302.00
      05-20-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
AutoFFF
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. As you’ll see shortly you probably will get a few different options and hopefully good points of view to help in that decision.

But having said that I think choosing between the X5M and M60 purely based on depreciation is probably the wrong way to approach it. Frankly that would be the last think I would consider. I did too briefly consider both cars and ended up getting the 24 X5M 2 weeks ago and absolutely don’t regret the decision.

They are very different cars in my opinion, drive quite differently and just have a different purpose. If you haven’t driven either one, please do so, you can always test drive a pre LCI X5M to get an idea.

I made the mistake in the past when I bought a 335i and should have got an M3. Eventually rectified the problem but yeah ended up loosing quite a bit on deprecation.

Finally yes an X5M will be more desirable in the secondary market but also harder to sell. All will depend on what the market will be,how well you maintain the car etc etc. Also this might me the last V8 X5M so maybe it will hold value better maybe not.
Thanks for your response, and congratulations on your new X5M! The ceramic + MBB truly adds an impressive shine to the vehicle. We recently had the opportunity to test drive both the 23 M50 and the 24 X6M. We felt that the X6M handled noticeably better during our test drive. Our salesperson did mention that the X6M would feel more rigid than the X5M.

Taking into account our estimated annual mileage of 10,000 miles and our plan to trade in for the next gen model, we are considering the potential depreciation over time. However, we have faced some challenges in securing discounts on the 24 X5M from the dealers we have reached out to. We're wondering if we might have missed something in the forum discussion regarding discounts on the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:09 PM   #4
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoFFF View Post
Thanks for your response, and congratulations on your new X5M! The ceramic + MBB truly adds an impressive shine to the vehicle. We recently had the opportunity to test drive both the 23 M50 and the 24 X6M. We felt that the X6M handled noticeably better during our test drive. Our salesperson did mention that the X6M would feel more rigid than the X5M.

Taking into account our estimated annual mileage of 10,000 miles and our plan to trade in for the next gen model, we are considering the potential depreciation over time. However, we have faced some challenges in securing discounts on the 24 X5M from the dealers we have reached out to. We're wondering if we might have missed something in the forum discussion regarding discounts on the X5M.
Glad to hear you had a chance to drive both. Yes the M version will definitely be a bit more firm than the 60i version but from what I gather the 24 does have revised suspension so I think it rides better then the pre-LCI; can’t confirm since I haven’t driven a pre-LCI.

There was some discussion about discounts but I think it might be very difficult to get one for the X5M or X6M. I think we should be happy not to get a ADM. I got mine at MSRP with the loyalty rebate.
vitipr171.00
      05-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #5
AutoFFF
Private
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear you had a chance to drive both. Yes the M version will definitely be a bit more firm than the 60i version but from what I gather the 24 does have revised suspension so I think it rides better then the pre-LCI; can’t confirm since I haven’t driven a pre-LCI.

There was some discussion about discounts but I think it might be very difficult to get one for the X5M or X6M. I think we should be happy not to get a ADM. I got mine at MSRP with the loyalty rebate.
That's good to know. We drove down to a dealer at mid DE and they charged $5k+ over MSRP. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

Congrats on the 24 x5m! You said it perfectly in your response. I also tested both and ended up with the x5m. It has a slightly firmer suspension than the i60m but it is almost unnoticeable. But the way the m drives, feels, its much more “higher quality feeling” and more sportier. My two previous cars were a f80, G80 respetively, and I have to say this is an amazing suv. Beats them all. If you want to talk about a firm suspension get on a g80 competition. Good luck with getting discounts for a 2024 lci x5m. I got a couple of thousands of but this is my 4th car in 5 years with them. But they are charging 10k over msrp in Florida for m60s and x5m lci.
Appreciate 1
AutoFFF29.50
      06-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
bmwsocal_
Ozy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
That's good to know. We drove down to a dealer at mid DE and they charged $5k+ over MSRP. Ridiculous.
5k over for the X5M right now is reasonable, however survey your local market. See if another dealer is willing to earn your business by reducing or eliminating the markup all together. However if your state or area has very few dealers, or if there is a shortage of X5M or M60, you may have no other choice than to pay the market adjusted price.

----------------------------------------
Ozy
BMW C.A. in Los Angeles, CA

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@bmwsocal IG: https://www.instagram.com/bmw.socal/
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      06-04-2023, 02:07 PM   #8
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsocal_ View Post
5k over for the X5M right now is reasonable, however survey your local market. See if another dealer is willing to earn your business by reducing or eliminating the markup all together. However if your state or area has very few dealers, or if there is a shortage of X5M or M60, you may have no other choice than to pay the market adjusted price.

----------------------------------------
Ozy
BMW C.A. in Los Angeles, CA
Huh? ~5% discount is a standard deal. There’s 1 broker on the forum here and tons on leasehackr if you need help.
Appreciate 1
AutoFFF29.50
      06-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #9
bmwsocal_
Ozy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis1 View Post
Huh? ~5% discount is a standard deal. There’s 1 broker on the forum here and tons on leasehackr if you need help.
Different regions have different prices, idk what the NJ market is like, but that makes little to no sense considering there are only two on the ground in the entire state of NJ. However, I don't work in that part of the country so I don't know what they go for out there. Here in the western region there is 14 total X5 M on the ground at the moment, that's extremely light.

------------------------
Ozy
BMW C.A. in Los Angeles

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@bmwsocal IG: https://www.instagram.com/bmw.socal/
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      06-04-2023, 07:48 PM   #10
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsocal_ View Post
Different regions have different prices, idk what the NJ market is like, but that makes little to no sense considering there are only two on the ground in the entire state of NJ. However, I don't work in that part of the country so I don't know what they go for out there. Here in the western region there is 14 total X5 M on the ground at the moment, that's extremely light.

————————————
Ozy
BMW C.A. in Los Angeles
That’s pretty much same scenario in Florida. He probably referring to a 2023 models, which are in fact getting some discounts. Before buying my 2024 x5’, I almost got one. It was like 6-7% discounted (incluing loyalty credit). Thanks for the info Ozy.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2023, 06:50 PM   #11
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Quote:

Well said!!
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      06-05-2023, 10:55 PM   #12
KiwiNedNZ
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Competition

After having my X5M Comp for the last couple of weeks going down the X5M path is a no brainer.
Appreciate 2
vitipr171.00
      06-14-2023, 02:47 PM   #13
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are new to this forum. As first-time BMW buyers, we find ourselves at a crossroads between the 2024 BMW X5M and X5 M60i (slightly leaning towards X5M). While both models have their unique appeal, We are particularly interested in understanding how they hold their value over a period of four years.

Given the unpredictable nature of the market, especially with the impact of the pandemic, we would greatly appreciate hearing from those who have insights or personal experiences regarding the depreciation and value retention of these models over a four-year period. While we recognize that factors such as market conditions, mileage, and maintenance play a role, we would greatly appreciate any input or opinions on which of these models is more likely to hold its value over the course of four years.

Plus, any data points for discounts in PA, NJ, DE and NY would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!
Well I have owned both and other than the general appearance they are not very similar. The M50 or M60i (same thing) is a quick all around family SUV. The X5M/X6M competition is a corvette in an SUV body. It will ride firmer, louder, and pull much harder. This is particularly true if you like to accelerate out of a corner. The M50i won't let you have all the power immediately, it rolls on in a more luxurious way. Both models have the same torque but the X5M will give you the raw sports car vibe.

Remember that there are tradeoffs to performance. The X5M competition is a bit louder in the neighborhood and has a deep drone sound the is pretty much always present with the exhaust baffels open or closed. The brakes sometimes squeal at a slow stop, and the ride is much firmer and that does transfer some additional road noise in the cabin. However, if you want a sports car but need the SUV space this is the one for you.

Lastly, depreciation is significant on BMWs but might be slightly less on the X5M.
Appreciate 4
AutoFFF29.50
vitipr171.00
CarMan77424.50
      06-14-2023, 04:50 PM   #14
redpill
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5mc SB, 2022 x5mc WM

the shifter changes everything..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 04:50 PM   #15
Appalachian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

I went from an F15 50i to an F95 X5M as a daily driver. The X5M is everything I wanted the 50i to be, but the 50i wasn't. The ride is marginally more firm, but definitely not harsh. It's more quiet inside than the 50i was. The acceleration and handling are just about perfect.
Appreciate 1
AutoFFF29.50
      06-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #16
AutoFFF
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
Well I have owned both and other than the general appearance they are not very similar. The M50 or M60i (same thing) is a quick all around family SUV. The X5M/X6M competition is a corvette in an SUV body. It will ride firmer, louder, and pull much harder. This is particularly true if you like to accelerate out of a corner. The M50i won't let you have all the power immediately, it rolls on in a more luxurious way. Both models have the same torque but the X5M will give you the raw sports car vibe.

Remember that there are tradeoffs to performance. The X5M competition is a bit louder in the neighborhood and has a deep drone sound the is pretty much always present with the exhaust baffels open or closed. The brakes sometimes squeal at a slow stop, and the ride is much firmer and that does transfer some additional road noise in the cabin. However, if you want a sports car but need the SUV space this is the one for you.

Lastly, depreciation is significant on BMWs but might be slightly less on the X5M.
Thanks for your input. We have decided to go with the X5M. Now, we will reach out to the dealer and inquire about their allocations.
Appreciate 2
vitipr171.00
UltraDave127.00
      06-14-2023, 05:42 PM   #17
AutoFFF
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
I went from an F15 50i to an F95 X5M as a daily driver. The X5M is everything I wanted the 50i to be, but the 50i wasn't. The ride is marginally more firm, but definitely not harsh. It's more quiet inside than the 50i was. The acceleration and handling are just about perfect.
Thanks for your input. Didn't expect X5M is quieter than M50 tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 06:09 PM   #18
Appalachian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

Quote:
I had a 2018 F15 50i. I haven't driven a G05 M50i. But it's definitely quieter than my F15.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 06:36 PM   #19
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Thanks for your input. We have decided to go with the X5M. Now, we will reach out to the dealer and inquire about their allocations.
Great, I hope you enjoy it. You might also want to consider a used model to offset depreciation which is always highest the first couple years. I bought my 22 X5M competition used. It was 6 months old with 3k miles and it was 20k less than a brand new. Also the 2024 model has a big price increase with no performance gain.
Appreciate 1
CarMan77424.50
      06-18-2023, 07:58 PM   #20
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Great, I hope you enjoy it. You might also want to consider a used model to offset depreciation which is always highest the first couple years. I bought my 22 X5M competition used. It was 6 months old with 3k miles and it was 20k less than a brand new. Also the 2024 model has a big price increase with no performance gain.
Fwiw; the price increase for 2024 is largely due to more features being not-optional. Also the mileage in the 2024 is theoretically better than the 2023; the window sticker seems to show the same, but IRL, I’m getting 24mg on highway trips consistently. Albeit I can’t speak for non 2024s, so it’s possible people with 2023s get similar mileage but I haven’t seen much of it discussed on the forum.
      06-18-2023, 08:19 PM   #21
CarMan77
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2021 Porsche Cay

Garage List
Quote:
So true! If I didn’t lease for business purposes, I would go this route. I have seen slightly used 2023’s for low 100’s.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 01:00 PM   #22
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
Quote:
The exhaust is louder on the M50s then the Ms. Something to do with the turbo setups in both cars. I was surprised how QUIET the exhaust actually was on the full M.

Road noise wise roughly similar, especially if you spec with 21/22" wheels.
Appreciate 0