01-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5MC; '97 M3

Check Control Error Messages

Hi all,

(Searched forum and didn't see anything)

Wondering if others have encountered this problem during their ownership. I picked up my X5M not even a month ago - currently has <300 miles. While driving to work today, had a series of error messages arise simultaneously after a few minutes of driving. Turned off the car, started it again once I got to the office and they were cleared. Called the service department to arrange for it to be brought in and during my drive there they popped up again.

Adding picture but its:
- cont driving possible: four wheel drive system
- cont driving possible: chassis stabilization
- cont driving possible - drivetrain
- rear axle differential lock
- reduced driver assistance

This resulted in a lot not working - 4 wheel drive, ABS, traction, etc. etc. Car in limp mode. Dangerous merging onto highways.

Not ideal! If helpful, I'll update this post once they figure it out. Edit: they didn't.

Update: 6.28.2022 ~3,100 miles. Happened four total times. Car has spent over 30 days in service.
Attached Images

Last edited by MNBart; 06-28-2022 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
irpirate
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 x5mc

Same thing happened to me, charge the battery.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue220.00
      01-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #3
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpirate View Post
Same thing happened to me, charge the battery.
Thanks for the insight. That actually makes good sense because I left the car outside last Saturday night (after a few beers which required an Uber) and it was really cold in MN...
      01-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #4
redpill
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5mc SB, 2022 x5mc WM

yeah those usually pop up when the battery is low..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:03 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Kinda odd for just a low battery
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #6
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

Delayed follow-up, but nonetheless thought it would be helpful to post in case others on the forum have this issue arise.

The dealer drove the car and the same error messages popped up for them. They diagnosed the issue as being an error caused by the acceleration pedal. They replaced the part and it hasn't come back in the last 1,000 miles.
ajob454.50
      03-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #7
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

Perhaps spoke too soon, but for the benefit of the forum, here is the information.

Started the car last week, all the error messages came back up with the addition of "parking assistance malfunction". Took it to the dealer. On this trip to the dealer, unlike last time, the error messages did not reappear.

They sent the information to BMW Germany. BMW deduced there may be defective pins in the DME wiring harness connector. Replaced pins.

Picking it up tomorrow. Wish me luck!
      06-02-2022, 04:34 AM   #8
CAVOK
South Korea
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBart View Post
Perhaps spoke too soon, but for the benefit of the forum, here is the information.

Started the car last week, all the error messages came back up with the addition of "parking assistance malfunction". Took it to the dealer. On this trip to the dealer, unlike last time, the error messages did not reappear.

They sent the information to BMW Germany. BMW deduced there may be defective pins in the DME wiring harness connector. Replaced pins.

Picking it up tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Was it fixed now? I have a X5 M50i and It's been a week from receiving BMW. But, I got same message three times while I was driving.. I'll go to service center next week. But, I'm worried if they can find the problem at once.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Was it fixed now? I have a X5 M50i and It's been a week from receiving BMW. But, I got same message three times while I was driving.. I'll go to service center next week. But, I'm worried if they can find the problem at once.
After spending 2+ weeks at the dealer (third visit w/ same issues) where they rewired the harness I've put over 1000 miles on the car and it's been fine. Guess only time will tell whether this a lemon or not.
      06-08-2022, 03:25 AM   #10
CAVOK
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
After spending 2+ weeks at the dealer (third visit w/ same issues) where they rewired the harness I've put over 1000 miles on the car and it's been fine. Guess only time will tell whether this a lemon or not.
Thank you for telling your story how is it going.
Yesterday my M50i(It is installed adaptive M suspension professional with ears, M diff lock) was taken by service center.

I just got phone call from them, they said that exactly what your dealer did.
1. The acceleration pedal is suspicious. Will replace this first.
2. DME pin.

I told them your story but they said, they can't directly jump to 'DME pin' due to internal procedure.

So,,,, I need to check after replacing acceleration pedal.
Perhaps, It seems highly likely that I will follow your process as well....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Thank you for telling your story how is it going.
Yesterday my M50i(It is installed adaptive M suspension professional with ears, M diff lock) was taken by service center.

I just got phone call from them, they said that exactly what your dealer did.
1. The acceleration pedal is suspicious. Will replace this first.
2. DME pin.

I told them your story but they said, they can't directly jump to 'DME pin' due to internal procedure.

So,,,, I need to check after replacing acceleration pedal.
Perhaps, It seems highly likely that I will follow your process as well....
Sorry to hear. Hopefully your issue is easier to resolve. Unfortunately this weekend, the issues came back. That's about a month since the last repair and 1,300 more miles (total mileage of 3,100). Same error messages. Car goes into limp mode and acceleration is dramatically reduced making getting onto highways somewhat dangerous. This time, I also have a check engine light on... This is now the 4th time this has happened.
      06-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #12
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry to hear. Hopefully your issue is easier to resolve. Unfortunately this weekend, the issues came back. That's about a month since the last repair and 1,300 more miles (total mileage of 3,100). Same error messages. Car goes into limp mode and acceleration is dramatically reduced making getting onto highways somewhat dangerous. This time, I also have a check engine light on... This is now the 4th time this has happened.
I have some crazy stuff going on too. Some issues are the same as yours, some different. My issue began with difficulty starting, then throwing malfunctions left and right. Right now I'm waiting on a Valvetronic Unit to arrive. Not sure if our issues are related.

This really sucks. I hope you/we get it sorted out.

Here's my thread
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1922693
      06-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
CAVOK
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
My service engineer guy says he checked the DME pin using special tool, but there was nothing unusual, and he re-programmed the vehicle. My M50i didn't be replaced acceleration pedal.
He says he feels uncomfortable because he honestly can't find out exactly what the problem is. So, He asked me to let him know as soon as there was a problem again while driving the car.
What I'm worried about is that this issue will be very dangerous while driving on the highway, like you said.
It would be good if we could continue to share our issue and what each service center do.
When issue occur again, I will record and share you what I did just before. I will also share what the service center try to fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #14
CAVOK
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I have some crazy stuff going on too. Some issues are the same as yours, some different. My issue began with difficulty starting, then throwing malfunctions left and right. Right now I'm waiting on a Valvetronic Unit to arrive. Not sure if our issues are related.

This really sucks. I hope you/we get it sorted out.

Here's my thread
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1922693
My issue is..
My X5 M50i was shipped out to me two weeks ago. It has adaptive M suspension professional(EARS) with IAS instead air suspension.
When I drove 600km(370mile), the following check message appeared.
So, I turned engine off then waiting few min then start again, My X5 came back to normal condition. The message didn't be appeared.
But, few hours later the message was appeared again. power was very reduced.80km(50mph) with full acceleration. I again to turned engine off then waiting few min then start again, it came back to normal condition. The message didn't be appeared... I've got this situation three times. I've tried to find same case in Korea, I couldn't find.
Name:  checkControl.JPG
Views: 1864
Size:  203.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:04 PM   #15
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, it happened again. Been in the dealer for the last ~2 weeks waiting for a new control module this time. This has now been escalated as I qualify under lemon law (4 break downs, 30+ days in service) and expect BMW NA to make it right... Waiting to hear what they offer.
      06-29-2022, 05:47 AM   #16
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, it happened again. Been in the dealer for the last ~2 weeks waiting for a new control module this time. This has now been escalated as I qualify under lemon law (4 break downs, 30+ days in service) and expect BMW NA to make it right... Waiting to hear what they offer.
I feel your pain. This really sucks.
      05-30-2023, 07:58 AM   #17
Aziego
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 2023 X5, 2023 i4

Hey, wondering if you got this resolved? My 23 45e just had this error this morning and wife said it was like driving with the brakes on. Going to call the dealer and have them look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I know this was mentioned early on but usually when people get this whole list of errors its usually due to low battery charge. Especially if the car was recently sitting at a dealer for sale or not driven long distance regularly.
      05-30-2023, 05:47 PM   #19
Aziego
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 2023 X5, 2023 i4

Yes I read that but we drive our car regularly, majority on electric but 30-40% on gas. I have appointment set with the dealer for this Friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:13 PM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziego View Post
Yes I read that but we drive our car regularly, majority on electric but 30-40% on gas. I have appointment set with the dealer for this Friday.
despite this and relying on the premise that a fully charged HV battery should mitigate 12V battery issues, there have been several reports of the 12V battery(ies) prematurely failing on the 45e. good thing you booked a service appt
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 01:29 AM   #21
AUSX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5m

Quote:
Hi all,

(Searched forum and didn't see anything)

Wondering if others have encountered this problem during their ownership. I picked up my X5M not even a month ago - currently has <300 miles. While driving to work today, had a series of error messages arise simultaneously after a few minutes of driving. Turned off the car, started it again once I got to the office and they were cleared. Called the service department to arrange for it to be brought in and during my drive there they popped up again.

Adding picture but its:
- cont driving possible: four wheel drive system
- cont driving possible: chassis stabilization
- cont driving possible - drivetrain
- rear axle differential lock
- reduced driver assistance

This resulted in a lot not working - 4 wheel drive, ABS, traction, etc. etc. Car in limp mode. Dangerous merging onto highways.

Not ideal! If helpful, I'll update this post once they figure it out. Edit: they didn't.

Update: 6.28.2022 ~3,100 miles. Happened four total times. Car has spent over 30 days in service.
Mines done that twice, both times whilst backing out my mates driveway as it’s a sharp turn and a drop off on one side.

Turned it off & back on and it went away.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 10:35 AM   #22
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Check for loose electrical connector at rear differential. Just a guess but has not been mentioned as something the dealers have checked and could very well be the problem. After 29 years as an electronics technician I have seen where a wire on certain systems, especially ones with firmware resident on circuit boards as these cars have, the wire opens up intermittently and becomes an "antenna". This open wire with say 5-12 ft of conductor is an "antenna" picking up all sorts of noise from the other onboard systems and injects garbage into a control board sending the firmware into a fault mode. This is why a reboot clears the problem.
Appreciate 0