05-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #1
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Non-Comp vs. Comp Owners, how do you feel about your F95

Hey All,
Looking to solicit opinions from non-comp owners vs. comp owners on their F95s. I'm considering adding a F95 (maybe replace my M50i) and wanted to know people's opinions on the non-comps. I'm looking at pre-LCI as I haven't yet warmed up to the interior in the LCI. To me the two biggest factors are exhaust and ride. I can stomach either and have had several M cars so I am use to the stiff ride although I have found driving the comp has a very harsh ride which I know the wife will hate, kids will survive as they like to go fast. I do find the exhaust note in the non-comp a bit weak. If I get one it will likely be a family hauler, so I am keeping that in mind. What are people's thoughts on non-comp vs. comp? For those that went non-comp what made your choice? Anyone change-up the exhaust to enhance the sound of the non-comp?
      05-22-2023, 06:52 PM   #2
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I had a comp so I might be biased but there really isn’t that much difference between the versions. I went with the most powerful version because why not?!.

Suspension is exactly the same. I think the non comp has smaller wheels which is probably why the ride quality might be slightly better. But otherwise both should ride very similarly.

Biggest differences between the the two is the extra horse power in Comp, the black trims, bigger wheels/tires and some standard options (full leather, track mode on I drive etc). I may be wrong but I don’t think the exhausts are different either, just the tips are chrome versus black.

My wife and kids did not mind the ride quality of the comp, as long as the tire tread was good. Once it got low, the ride quality suffered a lot.

If you’re using it as a family hauler, I’d say go non comp as you’ll save some money on the purchase, and tire replacement costs would be cheaper as well (this beasts goes through tires fast and the 21/22 comp combo are very expensive)... Unless you really want the fastest version or prefer the black trim and rims

You certainly could buy a racechip for extra power and exhaust for more sound. Exhausts are very expensive for this truck so that’s something to consider (DINAN might be the cheapest). You could also just cut off the mid pipe resonators and that should give you a bit of extra grunt. I did racechip, downpipes and cut the resonator off and it sounded fantastic albeit very very loud. Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:04 PM   #3
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Went from an F85 to now an LCI X5M and although I can't compare with the pre-LCI, I also have kids (3) and my wife prefers the ride in the X5M than her 2022 Chevy Tahoe. Everyone commented on how the ride is better than my previous F85 and they also like it better than my now gone F80. So everyone is happy, myself included lol

But seriously maybe test drive an LCI if you can find one. KrisV, who upgraded from the pre-LCI said that he noticed maybe a small improvement over the non LCI. BMW did state that the suspension has been upgraded, not sure how much or what exactly.

No better judge than your own butt on this one. One thing guarantee is that it will be a bit more stiff than the M50i, but also a lot more fun to drive fast
vitipr171.00
      05-23-2023, 05:41 AM   #4
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I have a non comp and I agree with the other posts. Main thing is to test drive one to confirm you love. Ride is stiff but far from punishing (and I live in NYC so the roads here are crap). For ride, at least as I’ve found, what matters most is to stay on top of PSI - a few lbs in either direction impacts ride.

To your original question, I agree completely with the first reply. I don’t think there’s any meaningful difference between comp and non comp that you can really feel from the seat of your pants, especially if the non comp has the staggered wheels, which was a common option for the non comps. I certainly get someone wanting the ultimate and going for the comp. For me, I didn’t care about the extra 17 hp and I actually prefer the look of the non comp (especially from the rear). So I think if you have a few options to choose from, get whichever one most closely matches the color and options you’re looking for, irrespective of comp vs non comp.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

How much do they differ on the used market usually? Obviously the non-comp is cheaper but as a % of original MSRP how do they compare?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:59 AM   #6
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
How much do they differ on the used market usually? Obviously the non-comp is cheaper but as a % of original MSRP how do they compare?
I ran into this a bit with my non-comp X3M
The used market was less friendly to my sale. Dealers especially did not want much to do with my non-comp bc it didn’t sell as easily for them. In the end I got a fair price, but it was (for its lack of differences), surprisingly less in demand.

Depends what the price difference is between the x5m and x5mc you want to buy is. I’d expect that premium to continue whenever you choose to sell your car later.
      05-27-2023, 08:54 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

There is a reason BMW dropped the non competition X5M/X6M for the 2024 model year. 99% of the market for the X5M/X6M chose the competition model.
So resale on them will take quite a hit.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 09:10 PM   #8
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I chose to go with the non comp to save myself some $$. I don't regret it. I have the upgraded wheels, leather upgrade and I purchased the black grill, fender trim, tips and x5m emblem separately and installed them. Looks identical to a x5 comp minus the black Rear diffuser that the comp has.
The suspension is just as hard in the non comp than it is the comp. I have the secondary cat delete and it sounds great in my opinion. I don't think there's much of a difference in exhaust sound between the comp and non comp.
I also.have the MSS suspension to take care of the hard stock suspension and awful ride height.

Last edited by Mo2002; 05-27-2023 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0