BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2023, 05:32 AM   #1
nokia3310
Rep
Drives: M3

should i buy X6 M with no additional warranty?

for someone that drive like 2500 miles per year, in 5 years that is 12,500 miles

is it ok to purchase a used 2020-2021 BMW X6 M without any coverage other than the factory 4 years/50k miles? Lets say i ensure all looks good at time of purchase and as mentioned 2500 miles per year without any crazy driving. I can keep same tires, rotors, shocks and all for the whole 5 years at 12,500 miles just to get context of this

i know things can get crazy as soon as the notorious check engine comes on, but it is possible it never comes on

Planning on getting a used one not more than 30k miles on it, so that way i only have to add 12,500 miles and all just around 40k miles

please pour your comments on this. all opinions and experiences are welcomed

Last edited by nokia3310; 06-03-2023 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I wouldn’t personally. The issue is that you are buying it used and you have no idea how the car was treated or maintained prior. It could have been tuned and ragged on for 30K miles and you take it over right when things start to fail.

If you were to go down this route I suggest you have the dealer provide you with its entire service history. Also buy the BimmerLink app with a Bluetooth dongle and scan the car while you take it on a test drive. Takes 2mins to do so you can see all of the codes stored on the ECU. Based on the codes you can have an idea what issues might come up.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 12:27 PM   #3
nokia3310
Rep

nopes, getting it pre-owned with all stock parts no tunning or anything of such and yes will be getting all service history of the car

i am even seeing one right now that is like less than 15k miles very clean

just thinking if the risk is worth it especially me knowing how sensitive these cars can get. So not sure if driving it sanely for 10k-12.5k miles in 5 years can survive not getting destroyed with maintenance costs
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #4
nokia3310
Rep

Also the car will still have like 1 year and what is left of 50k miles factory warranty

but not sure if those factory warranty covers much from the mixed message si get. Sometimes i hear people say it is the best full coverage for the car and other time si hear it does not cover as much as bumper to bumper extended warranty

so am not even sure what the factory warranty covers really
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:37 PM   #5
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
It’s a gamble but if you don’t drive it much then it’s likely you’ll avoid a lot of maintenance costs. That said, you don’t know how it was driven by the previous owner so there’s always that risk. If you buy one between 20-30k, be prepared to do all 4 corners pads and rotors. I think the rears are due around 20-22k and the fronts will be in similar condition and in need of a change. That’ll be a hefty bill. Tires are also an issue to consider. You might get 10-15k out of them so again be prepared to pay to replace (or negotiate a new set at purchase). There’s also spark plugs due at 15k and differential fluid drain and fill so once you’re out of warranty, you’ll need to pay for that as well if you hit the mileage.

If you don’t plan to drive this truck as it’s designed then really you should be buying a different vehicle. My recommendation is Either try to work another year if CPO warranty in the deal which would help extend you out longer with protection. Otherwise you’ll have to self insure. In your case that might be the cheapest route with how little you plan to drive. The N63 and S63 aren’t the most reliable engine platforms so keep that in mind as well
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:51 PM   #6
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

You can always buy third party warranty. Also, it appers that you need to find a good local German mechanic shop. Usually they charge a fraction of what BMW’s shop charges, take that into account when making a decision and I would even take the car to them after you buy it for an inspection. That beeing said driving behaviors and prevention maintenance can extend greatly your car’s life. Good luck.
Appreciate 0