BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #23
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Resurrecting this post to say we’ve had this issue occasionally with our 45e. It gets to some random point in the charge cycle and bails with the Unable to Charge message and a red light at the port. Unplug and replug and it finishes fine. Happens cold or hot, maybe once or twice a month.

Went to the dealer for something unrelated today and they weren’t able to find any stored fault codes to tell us if it’s the EVSE or the car having an issue. We charge at 16A off a L6-50 outlet so I’m going to replace the receptacle to see if it helps. The same part number receptacle that charges my Tesla gave out last year, but at least Tesla tells you where to look for the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:54 PM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post
Resurrecting this post to say we’ve had this issue occasionally with our 45e. It gets to some random point in the charge cycle and bails with the Unable to Charge message and a red light at the port. Unplug and replug and it finishes fine. Happens cold or hot, maybe once or twice a month.

Went to the dealer for something unrelated today and they weren’t able to find any stored fault codes to tell us if it’s the EVSE or the car having an issue. We charge at 16A off a L6-50 outlet so I’m going to replace the receptacle to see if it helps. The same part number receptacle that charges my Tesla gave out last year, but at least Tesla tells you where to look for the problem.
keep us posted. does sound like a power supply issue at the house side versus vehicle side which would most likely point to the KLE module
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 07:02 AM   #25
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep

I agree it’s probably on the house side but annoying that they can’t or won’t pull useful codes to give me a hint.

When I pulled the old receptacle the plastic was a bit oxidized but nothing obviously wrong. Possibly one of the terminal screws gave me less resistance when backing it off? We'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:53 AM   #26
Georgetheowl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 XDrive 45E

It could easily be your charger. I had several times with my L2 charger that shows a red light on the charging port. Unplug and plug on the charging port won't even solve the issue. I need to unpower and reconnect on the 14-50 socket and it always comes back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #27
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep

We'll see. Since I’ve got so little info to debug with and it happening sporadically I picked the least expensive part to throw at it first.
Appreciate 0