BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2022, 09:48 PM   #89
TX-BMW
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
When I preconditioned my car this am, the guess-o-meter (love the name) on the app showed 25 miles. When I actually left home, the car showed 27 miles. Drove 4 miles to the Y and it showed 31. Drive home and I was back at 27.

Honestly, I have no idea what the actual capacity is on any given day. In my normal around-the-city driving, I rarely go more than 30, and I have almost never "run out." I tell people my car is an EV 300+ days a year.
I don't know if the BMW shows this, but you can see miles/kWh on most EVs. It is a much better indicator of range than the guess-o-meter.

You can honestly drive yourself crazy with range stuff. I think plug-in hybrids are a smart move right now, especially if most of your average driving is commuting to the office with occasional longer trips.

My unsolicited advice is not to pay much attention to the range. Drive it and enjoy it... punch it occasionally or all the time if that is what you like.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:23 PM   #90
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozhbk View Post
I guess if you show down to 28on yours, on a brand new one it might be plausible to be at 24 from lot, but I would actually expect it to be higher rather then lower driving off. Lets see how it goes, the 24 hour charging is killing me, I just came from xc90 and charging took about 4-6 hours for about 15-19 mile ride so this is annoying and will probably end up getting L2, which I never really needed or used before.
I guess lets see how it improves or not, I hope battery doesn't need service.
Mine was exactly same as yours the first few days out of the dealer. Now two months in, it's exactly like everyone else reports here.

One thing about the L2 charger: For this car, there's no point in putting in more than a 220V-20A circuit because the car can't use any more amps than that. Only reason to put in a higher amp circuit is if you think you might get an EV that can pull more amps.

Also, there's no point in spending $600 on a fancy EVSE. I got this one for $180 and it gives me a full charge in 5.5 hours just fine on 220/20.
      11-23-2022, 11:03 PM   #91
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Depending on how far the wiring must run, the labor is pretty much the same if you run 12g or 6g (but the price of the wire itself will go up!). It highly likely your next PHEV or EV will accept more power. You can install a smaller EVSE onto the heavier wiring, but you can't put a bigger one on smaller wiring. So, depends somewhat on how long you think you'll be there what you install. There's something to be said for a larger EVSE, drawing less power, that might last longer, but that mostly depends on the quality of the unit you select.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 12:09 AM   #92
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-BMW View Post
I don't know if the BMW shows this, but you can see miles/kWh on most EVs. It is a much better indicator of range than the guess-o-meter.

You can honestly drive yourself crazy with range stuff. I think plug-in hybrids are a smart move right now, especially if most of your average driving is commuting to the office with occasional longer trips.

My unsolicited advice is not to pay much attention to the range. Drive it and enjoy it... punch it occasionally or all the time if that is what you like.
I agree here. Just use it as intended. Usable battery is 17.1kWh, max charging wattage is 3.7kW? However long it takes to charge that depend on your EVSE.

To answer the highlighted part, yes 45e show this, but it is a misleading number. It uses the total milage driven (EV + ICE), divided by kWh usage. So if you did some mixed driving, you will see a very high number, makes you think you beat Tesla in mi/kWh.
TX-BMW15.00
      11-24-2022, 12:11 AM   #93
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Power View Post
During warm weather 60~80 F degrees with no HVAC on, I easily get 44 miles on EV

Now, during colder weather 30~40 F with HVAC on, I get @ 32 ~ 40 miles on EV
Mind sharing your trip computer screen shot "since factory" setting?
      11-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #94
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:

Being new to hybrids/EVs of any sort, it has taken me 6 months or so to get to this point. I now know for certain that I can do my daily chores on electric only, no matter what the reading shows, and if for some reason I run out of juice, the machine will just flip into hybrid.

And I d love driving the car, esp in electric mode. It is so quiet and smooth. The ICE loaner the dealer gave me felt archaic. YMMV
Appreciate 2
TX-BMW15.00
admranger2984.50
      11-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #95
TX-BMW
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Being new to hybrids/EVs of any sort, it has taken me 6 months or so to get to this point. I now know for certain that I can do my daily chores on electric only, no matter what the reading shows, and if for some reason I run out of juice, the machine will just flip into hybrid.

And I d love driving the car, esp in electric mode. It is so quiet and smooth. The ICE loaner the dealer gave me felt archaic. YMMV
The noise is something I'm definitely getting readjusted to! That, and missing instant torque. With that said, the ICE X5 is no slouch... it just announces its intentions

I think you have the right mindset on range. If you didn't watch the estimated range in your ICE, then don't do it now. It is a little different for a full EV because you can't pull in and charge everywhere, but no reason to worry about it much with the 45e.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 08:41 AM   #96
TX-BMW
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
One thing about the L2 charger: For this car, there's no point in putting in more than a 220V-20A circuit because the car can't use any more amps than that. Only reason to put in a higher amp circuit is if you think you might get an EV that can pull more amps.
I agree... if you plan to live at your current home for the foreseeable future, it is probably worth putting in a high amp breaker and wire.

A 60A breaker (assuming you have the capacity) and appropriate gauge wire will be nice for the future (48A charge rate on supported chargers). I believe that you get a one-time tax credit (not full credit) for installation and charger, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #97
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
I believe that you get a one-time tax credit (not full credit) for installation and charger, too.
It's IRS form 8911: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

Generally the smaller of 30% or $1000.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax expert.
admranger2984.50
      11-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #98
scungilio
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Appreciate 1
TX-BMW15.00
      11-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #99
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Typical usage for me two days ago. (Pure EV driving; no ICE.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #100
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsOtium View Post
Typical usage for me two days ago. (Pure EV driving; no ICE.)
I saw this from you a few times, but never the trip computer from “since factory”. It is life time consumption, representing the real life usage. In your case 13k miles. The range number from EV mode can be all the place. The can archive 50-55 here if I choose to.
TX-BMW15.00
      11-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #101
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I saw this from you a few times, but never the trip computer from “since factory”. It is life time consumption, representing the real life usage. In your case 13k miles. The range number from EV mode can be all the place. The can archive 50-55 here if I choose to.

I have posted since factory actually on another thread. Cannot remember which one…

My factory results are skewed to a lot of ICE driving as we took the vehicle on a cross country trip. Actually makes miles/kw look extremely high (double digit high); whereas the 2.7 miles per kw is VERY representative of our EV usage around town.

Going on memory we're probably about 9,000 ICE and 4,000 EV.

PS- You and I have already danced this dance. My factory numbers are posted in thread "45e and auto journalism" (or words to that affect) mpg results.

Last edited by LarsOtium; 11-24-2022 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #102
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsOtium View Post
I have posted since factory actually on another thread. Cannot remember which one…

My factory results are skewed to a lot of ICE driving as we took the vehicle on a cross country trip. Actually makes miles/kw look extremely high (double digit high); whereas the 2.7 miles per kw is VERY representative of our EV usage around town.

Going on memory we're probably about 9,000 ICE and 4,000 EV.
With that screen info, we can back calculate the actual kWh used. Then we can use total EV miles / kWh to get a better representation of mi/kWh of the car.
      11-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #103
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e

Just finally was able to get back to 100% on stock charger. App shows 27 while in car says 24. Its not crazy cold either and car has right now about 80 miles. The capacity shows full.

I went and got a 320$ charger but after looking back on the thread Im thinking to down grade, but I already have a 20a circuit to 14-50R. So looking maybe for a cheaper solution for that. Or maybe change the circuit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #104
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think the X5 shows the amount put into the batteries, but the app might take into account power that was used to provide cooling and that lost in the conversion process. You'll always put more watts into the vehicle than eventually get into the battery. That depends some on how hot/cold things are and the capacity of the EVSE. A level 1 device is less efficient getting the high voltage DC needed to charge the batteries versus starting with 240vac versus 120vac.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 05:39 PM   #105
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
electric range in the 20s is to be expected in todays colder temperatures. it's affected by things other than driving that use the HV battery, HVAC in particular especially heat. I highly doubt you have a defective battery. you can always run a CarData telematics report to see your exact battery capacity (should be around 17kWh). my full electric range can be as much as 47 miles in the warmer months versus 27 miles in the colder months (Virginia)

curious about your XC90… how fast was its charger (in kW) and how many amps could you pull from its EVSE while plugged into your household outlet?

the 45e's on-board charger is 3.7kW. its included EVSE maxes out at 10A, so the charger can't go any higher than 1.2kW. also note the XC90 battery capacity was 9.2kWh which is almost half of the 45e capacity, so all things the same, of course the XC90 will fully charge in less time.

if you absolutely need it charged overnight, your best bet would be to get a L1 16A assuming you have a dedicated 20A household outlet for it which will fully charge in ~11h, or a L2 which will take 5.5h

I honestly never paid attention I would be able to go from O to 100% over night and never even cared, there was a point where I was preping to buy a L2 and did install outlet and circuit but only at 20Amps and never went thru with getting a charger this was few years back as getting charged over night was more then sufficient.

Looking at specs its a 11.6kW so at 120 at 10amps over night about sounds about right. Here at 24kW closer to over double sounds right.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #106
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Also any tips for maximizing the range on electric? What are your guys default settings?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #107
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drag goes up non-linearly with speed. IOW, the faster you go, the less efficient.

Driving smoothly versus small speed-up/slow-downs when possible, even with regeneration affects range. Precondition while plugged in when you can.

Using the seat heaters versus keeping the whole cabin warm can make a difference, and having the rear seat heater option can help keep people from complaining back there.

Acceleration isn't a big energy user, but overshooting and then having to slow down is. An ICE tends to be less efficient during acceleration, but an EV motor isn't significantly different in overall usage.

Don't rush up to a stop sign or stopped traffic and use the brakes...regen helps, but coasting is better and you'll still be producing regenerative braking, but for a longer time. If you time it properly, you may not have to stop at all.

Once the cabin is where you want it, Eco mode can help as it makes the throttle less sensitive, so fewer spikes of current requested, and the HVAC will be less aggressive.

Or, just drive and don't worry about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 08:49 PM   #108
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Drag goes up non-linearly with speed. IOW, the faster you go, the less efficient.

Driving smoothly versus small speed-up/slow-downs when possible, even with regeneration affects range. Precondition while plugged in when you can.

Using the seat heaters versus keeping the whole cabin warm can make a difference, and having the rear seat heater option can help keep people from complaining back there.

Acceleration isn't a big energy user, but overshooting and then having to slow down is. An ICE tends to be less efficient during acceleration, but an EV motor isn't significantly different in overall usage.

Don't rush up to a stop sign or stopped traffic and use the brakes...regen helps, but coasting is better and you'll still be producing regenerative braking, but for a longer time. If you time it properly, you may not have to stop at all.

Once the cabin is where you want it, Eco mode can help as it makes the throttle less sensitive, so fewer spikes of current requested, and the HVAC will be less aggressive.

Or, just drive and don't worry about it!

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 09:33 PM   #109
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozhbk View Post
I honestly never paid attention I would be able to go from O to 100% over night and never even cared, there was a point where I was preping to buy a L2 and did install outlet and circuit but only at 20Amps and never went thru with getting a charger this was few years back as getting charged over night was more then sufficient.

Looking at specs its a 11.6kW so at 120 at 10amps over night about sounds about right. Here at 24kW closer to over double sounds right.
you've got a 20A outlet for L2? then can get a 16A L2. check out clipper creek
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #110
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
you've got a 20A outlet for L2? then can get a 16A L2. check out clipper creek
No I got a 50amp outlet a
On a 20amp circuit. But I can just add a 50amp circuit and I have the plug already, or replace the plug and I still have dedicated 20amp outlet.

Im looking at chargers and thinking to get a lower 16amp one for about 100$ cheaper but not smart at all and only 240/16amp. While I got a smart one for 300$ with 110-240 10-40amp (not that this applies much here.)
Any recommendations for a cheaper smart one with low 16/min/max/amp you guys use or see in sale now?
Appreciate 0