11-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
For the record I am calling this place today to try and pay this. I posted this to see what people's thoughts were. I promise I'm not an a-hole
He paid his bill, not his fault they never took the money. If he never gave them his card or his card was bad or something then 100% it's on him.

Personally if they did not charge me I'm betting I wouldn't even notice. I don't keep track of everything I charge on my card and then cross reference with my transactions. I download all my transactions in quicken and basically quickly look at them. If it's shit that sounds familiar it's good to go. So not only would I have no idea if I did not get charged, I'm betting places I frequent a lot could probably charge me twice and I would be none the wiser.

This happened to me a long time ago. Went to the keys and ended up renting an electric boat after our normal boat rental was canceled. We could not find the guy who rented the boats at his stand and we were told he hangs out at the bar that was on the same dock. Anyways, worst boat rental ever. I gave the guy my card but I think the systems were down or something happened where he did not charge it on the spot, he wrote it down or something. Anyways I never thought about it again until maybe many months or even a year later I see a charge on my card that I did not recognize. Anyways after some digging I realized it was for that boat rental.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113235.50
      11-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #24
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
He paid his bill, not his fault they never took the money. If he never gave them his card or his card was bad or something then 100% it's on him.

Personally if they did not charge me I'm betting I wouldn't even notice. I don't keep track of everything I charge on my card and then cross reference with my transactions. I download all my transactions in quicken and basically quickly look at them. If it's shit that sounds familiar it's good to go. So not only would I have no idea if I did not get charged, I'm betting places I frequent a lot could probably charge me twice and I would be none the wiser.

This happened to me a long time ago. Went to the keys and ended up renting an electric boat after our normal boat rental was canceled. We could not find the guy who rented the boats at his stand and we were told he hangs out at the bar that was on the same dock. Anyways, worst boat rental ever. I gave the guy my card but I think the systems were down or something happened where he did not charge it on the spot, he wrote it down or something. Anyways I never thought about it again until maybe many months or even a year later I see a charge on my card that I did not recognize. Anyways after some digging I realized it was for that boat rental.
You make a good point about not even noticing if this happened. The only reason I noticed this is that I had to use a different credit card I never use (since they couldnt use my Amex) and I was going to zero out the card I used before I forgot about it and got late fees, etc. If it had been on my Amex I wouldn't have caught this.
      11-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #25
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
So if you bought a TV from Amazon and it showed up and they never charged your card you would call Amazon and tell them to charge it?
On a similar thread, look at all of the Amazon reviews of people who have received used/dirty tools because someone needed it for a weekend and then returned it for a refund. Ethics, folks.....
      11-11-2022, 10:45 AM   #26
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

So we booked a stay at this timeshare place through this service that rents it out, about 5 days or something and I think it was going to cost around $2K or less, can't remember exactly.

We get an email, less than 24 hours before we are supposed to check in that "our plans had changed" and they were sorry to "learn that" and the reservation would be canceled. Our plans DID NOT change, and we were pissed. Of course, they send it out 30 minutes before management leaves for the day and we didn't get the email right away, so by the time we call, we are stuck dealing with the poor lady at the call centre, to whom we made our extreme dissatisfaction clearly known.

So they put us up in this other hotel, which did not have two bedrooms which we had in the other, and we mentioned this was not OK and we wanted to talk to management on the following day. The call centre offered us a credit of one night stay, which we said that wasn't nearly enough and again, we want to speak to management.

Long story short, management NEVER called, we made this other hotel work (though we would have preferred the one we actually booked) and figured when they charged us we'd figure out what sort of charge it was in comparison to what we were going to pay for the other hotel and whether it was reasonable in the grand scheme.

They never charged us. We wait a month or two, nothing. So now we aren't sure if they just forgot to charge us, or whether this was a freebie for the fuss we kicked up. At any rate, we are going to keep our mouths shut, and not volunteer anything. If they charge us, they charge us, and at that point we'll look at what it would cost. But it has been like 3 months now, so I doubt they are going to charge the card now.

If they hadn't pulled what they did, I might feel bad. But all I feel is joy at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #27
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I see a potential for scams and abuse/misuse of CC numbers when people "write them down" especially when they record the 3 digit code as well.
I would not be contacting anybody about it..Unless it's my own credit card company regarding suspicious or unauthorized charges
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      11-11-2022, 11:27 AM   #28
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
On a similar thread, look at all of the Amazon reviews of people who have received used/dirty tools because someone needed it for a weekend and then returned it for a refund. Ethics, folks.....
The obligation of payment is upon the business, not the customer. If they don't have a way to contact him that's on them. It's not his problem to chase around this business and try to pay his bill
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Bought a pair of running shoes from zappos.com once. When I opened the box I couldn't believe how worn they were. They looked like at least 6 months old and like they were worn by someone running through a forest or something.

I called Zappos to return them and complain and got an honest person on the phone, to my surprise, who said when they get returns they don't even look in the box. Needless to say that was the last time I bought from Zappos.

Not sure if they record their phone conversations or not but that person could've got himself fired for being so honest. lol
      11-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #30
n33d4speed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [0.00]
2003 BMW E53 X5  [0.00]
2001 BMW E46 325CI ...  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
So if you bought a TV from Amazon and it showed up and they never charged your card you would call Amazon and tell them to charge it?
Yes, and have. I received an item I would have loved to have (over 1K $) from Amazon I did not order. Called and let them know it was mis-shipped.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #31
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
The obligation of payment is upon the business, not the customer. If they don't have a way to contact him that's on them. It's not his problem to chase around this business and try to pay his bill
So if you’re at a restaurant and the waiter/ress forgets to ring one of the drinks you had, and you notice it, it’s your lucky day right? After all, it’s on them to collect the payment.

From all the threads you posted, I already knew you’d be fun at parties. But now you’re taking the cake and eating it too.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #32
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
So if you're at a restaurant and the waiter/ress forgets to ring one of the drinks you had, and you notice it, it's your lucky day right? After all, it's on them to collect the payment.

From all the threads you posted, I already knew you'd be fun at parties. But now you're taking the cake and eating it too.
And I bet if there's an extra drink charge on there he'll go to the manager to get her fired or to get the whole meal free.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #33
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
So if you’re at a restaurant and the waiter/ress forgets to ring one of the drinks you had, and you notice it, it’s your lucky day right? After all, it’s on them to collect the payment.

From all the threads you posted, I already knew you’d be fun at parties. But now you’re taking the cake and eating it too.
No, that's the waitresses fault. Again, the onus is on the business to provide correct payment.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I'd call them once to straighten it out. If they still don't charge you after that, then I'd say you've done plenty and move on.
      11-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #35
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Since you say you paid the concierge, probably the place who actually took you out (mom/pop) won't get paid. THAT sucks.

I ordered 2 bags of Zoomies (dog treats) I just got 4 bags. Have to go back and make sure I didn't screw up, then pay them for four if I did.

(Yes, I feed my dog fly larvae treats, and she freakin LOVES them)
      11-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #36
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Since you say you paid the concierge, probably the place who actually took you out (mom/pop) won't get paid. THAT sucks.

I ordered 2 bags of Zoomies (dog treats) I just got 4 bags. Have to go back and make sure I didn't screw up, then pay them for four if I did.

(Yes, I feed my dog fly larvae treats, and she freakin LOVES them)
I tracked down the printed receipt that shows my card was charged with an authorization number and everything. Talked to the hotel front desk, talked to the concierge, and I ended up explaining what happened. They tried for a few minutes to look it up and then put me on hold and the call disconnected. I called my credit card company and they do not see any evidence of a transaction. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm hoping the people I paid do some review of their books and realize they are short and then call the credit card company to get the funds. Feels like if I get a hold of someone that could run my card again I'm afraid i could get charged twice.

The outfit that took us out was Cancun Adventures and they have a pretty big operation going so not a mom/pop type of place.
      11-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #37
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I tracked down the printed receipt that shows my card was charged with an authorization number and everything. Talked to the hotel front desk, talked to the concierge, and I ended up explaining what happened. They tried for a few minutes to look it up and then put me on hold and the call disconnected. I called my credit card company and they do not see any evidence of a transaction. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm hoping the people I paid do some review of their books and realize they are short and then call the credit card company to get the funds. Feels like if I get a hold of someone that could run my card again I'm afraid i could get charged twice.

The outfit that took us out was Cancun Adventures and they have a pretty big operation going so not a mom/pop type of place.
I think you took reasonable steps and should let it go now. Their problem if you tried to pay twice and they didn’t get paid. Probably not the first time and probably won’t be the last.
Esteban43763.00
      11-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #38
S65M3AL
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30435i, 2009 E92M3

Do what is morally right, then you'll be able to sleep at nite.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:01 AM   #39
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

You tried twice. No longer your problem, and you can't spend your life tracking this down trying to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Turns out in my case I bought 2 @ 24oz, but the bags are only 12oz each, so 4 was the correct number of bags to arrive.

Agent was impressed with my actions, so gave me a code for $10 off my next purchase.
      11-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #41
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Negative, negative, negative!

Taking advantage of someone when you are undercharged and not charged still comes back to the purchaser. Make it right.

And to put this another way, I had a restaurant lose track of my credit card for about 3 minutes (they said they found it on the floor) while returning with my bill. By the time I got home I had 3 fraudulent charges on my card. Is that also not the business's fault? But of course, I had to fix the problem, including cancelling my credit card; getting a new one; and calling the restaurant. And of course, they denied culpability. Nope, the waitress dropped my card on the way to the cash register. It was their fault.

Bullshit.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #42
duffmanwoo
Rep
Drives: BMW430i

I think op did his due diligence. If the company really wanted to track you down they can contact the hotel. Donate the money to up your karma.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #43
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: the charge finally showed up on my credit card statement this month. Crazy. The CC company had no record of any transaction or card being swiped. Now it's there and dated back to October. I feel better about this now.
Esteban43763.00
      12-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Update: the charge finally showed up on my credit card statement this month. Crazy. The CC company had no record of any transaction or card being swiped. Now it's there and dated back to October. I feel better about this now.
Problem solved, and right before Christmas.