BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Need a new microwave

We need a new over-the-stovetop microwave that can't be more than ~16.5" tall. Is there that much difference between a 1.1 cuft and 1.6 cuft microwave? How about brands? Any standout?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 09:51 PM   #2
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I just bought Kitchen Aid. Check bestbuy they have killer deals sometimes. Mine was $1050, bought new open box for $280. Samsung crapped out after less than 3 years
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 10:17 PM   #3
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Buy the cheapest one. New appliances are built not too last so you replace them. I have all cheap appliances in my house because I know they will crap out
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35134.50
2000cs3502.50
      12-20-2022, 10:18 PM   #4
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I had a 1980s washer / dryer in my old condo. Never crapped out. Your “fuse” will magically go out in your brand new microwave within 3 years.
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      12-21-2022, 05:49 AM   #5
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Many microwave issues are caused by the cheap door switches. I have repaired our over-the-range Viking one twice over 15 years with switches that cost under $10 from Amazon. If you are somewhat mechanical then you should be able to do it and there are lots of videos on YouTube about how. Most microwave internals are made by Sharp (I think) and are surprisingly similar inside no matter what brand you have.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 06:55 AM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Buy the cheapest one. New appliances are built not too last so you replace them. I have all cheap appliances in my house because I know they will crap out
I haven't had any issues with appliances. Cheap Samsung microwave is the only thing that crapped out in probably 10 years of owning different things. LG fridge also came defective when we moved.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 07:04 AM   #7
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Samsung here - a hole started burning on the inside panel while in use - we were amazed to see such a faulty scenario take place. They did send someone out to replace the inner panel for free. We were without a microwave for about 5 days. We'd had it for 2 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 07:09 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Recently had to have a service repair guy come out for my GE (which is a rebranded Samsung) fridge. Easiest and fastest $100 that guy has ever made as I already did all the work for him. He only told me why my water dispenser wasn't working and gave me a hint on how to unclog the condensate drain in the back of the refrigerator section. So I guess it wasn't money totally wasted.

Anyways, I asked him if I were to decide to replace this fridge which ones would he recommend. He said really not any of them. Said with the situation of supply chain and labor quality control is a total mess. Said new appliances were breaking prematurely and even the parts he gets are failing. But said if I absolutely need one that GE or Whirlpool. He said those still have their problems but not as bad as the other brands. Said LG has history of compressor issues and he won't even touch any Samsung. And the feedback I have gotten from other repair companies have mirrored this guy's sentiment. They won't touch Samsung appliances. He only agreed to come out to look at mine because the water system is GE even though the fridge is mainly a Samsung.

Funny thing is I've had nothing but problems in the past with GE side by side fridges.

On topic with this thread, I'm still rocking the GE over the range microwave I got with my house from my builder in 2001. Still works. I did have a problem with the control panel/board somewhat early on. GE sent a repair guy and fixed it but they mistakenly sent me an extra board. Well, that came in handy recently when I noticed one day that the display was pretty dim. Over the years I just got used to it. Dropped in the new board and back to as good as new. I have a nice GE Profile series over the range microwave with built in convection oven functionality at my vacation home. I bought and installed it in 2012. Still works but the center knob which functions as the Start button is now intermittent. Thinking it's from possible corrosion in the contacts as I don't use that microwave that often.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #9
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

I heard alot of bad things about Samsung and I did hear about LG compressor issues (mine was replaced for this). I think it's the new "linear" high efficiency compressor that constantly has issues

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 12-21-2022 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #10
antgenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 Infinity Q50  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I heard alot of bad things about Samsung and I did hear about LG compressor issues (mine was replaced for this). I think it's the new "liner" high efficiency compressor that constantly has issues
My Samsung microwave is 20 years old and never had issues. My newer Kenmore washer/dryer (made by Samsung) run without any problems for over 10 years, just had to replace a small external part on the door. My Kenmore (another Samsung) fridge had no problems being about 8 years old. I guess the trouble can be model related, not necessarily the brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgenn View Post
My Samsung microwave is 20 years old and never had issues. My newer Kenmore washer/dryer (made by Samsung) run without any problems for over 10 years, just had to replace a small external part on the door. My Kenmore (another Samsung) fridge had no problems being about 8 years old. I guess the trouble can be model related, not necessarily the brand.
Well, there's been enough problems with Samsung appliances where many of the local shops will refuse to even look at them. This was the first question that came out of the person I talked to on the phone. There's apparently a class action lawsuit against Samsung with regards to the ice maker. On a local FB community forum I saw a ton of people complaining about their failed ice maker in their Samsung fridges. I recently replaced the ice maker in mine. The repair guy said my rebranded GE is also unique from a full blown Samsung fridge because the cold air to freeze the water in the ice maker is sourced from the freezer section. He said the normal Samsungs have a cooling element integral with the ice maker section and that is the source of many of the issues.

Oh and with respect to washer/dryers, I'm still rocking my basic non electronic control panel Maytag units that are now 21 years old....still working without any issues. I did the same with the washer/dryer I got at my vacation home. No frills basic GE units still running fine since 2012.
Appreciate 1
antgenn319.00
      12-21-2022, 10:43 AM   #12
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

We have a Breville countertop microwave. It's been reliable for several years. That said I do expect to replace it at some point. It's our 4th microwave in 30 years, to give some lifetime perspective.

The Breville is nice because it has a whole bunch of presets for stuff like popcorn and melting butter. Handy items. I don't see where they make one for over a stovetop however.

If I were shopping now I'd probably look at one of the combo units; microwave, convection oven, air fryer. My son and his family swear by theirs, use it for all kinds of stuff.
Appreciate 1
antgenn319.00
      12-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
Many microwave issues are caused by the cheap door switches. I have repaired our over-the-range Viking one twice over 15 years with switches that cost under $10 from Amazon. If you are somewhat mechanical then you should be able to do it and there are lots of videos on YouTube about how. Most microwave internals are made by Sharp (I think) and are surprisingly similar inside no matter what brand you have.
I replaced the micro-switches a couple of years ago. The issue is the paint under the turntable is starting to peel. I'm not keen on repainting, especially as I've read from various sources that the repaint doesn't last all that long.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Our new Maytag washer is being finicky lately. Our old washer was 20 yrs old - no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0