07-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Q7 is a Tesla!

Interesting phenomenon in my 2018 Q7 today - hadn't had a chance to try out the Lane Keeping Assist after the rear camera software update, and when I engaged it, rather than beep and cut off after 15 seconds, it continued to drive. I'm not sure how long, but it was at least several minutes after I noticed it wasn't alerting, before I got nervous and took over. Clear weather, both lane markers green, light traffic, moderate speed (but over 40), fairly straight highway. A first. It continued to do this for the duration of the short trip, in increments as I let it - no cutoff. After I stopped the car and went back home the same route, back to normal. I'm going to chalk it up to MMI gremlins, but it actually did a good job. I see why Tesla owners are infatuated, but I was prepared every second to take over, although no hands on the wheel; it's actually an eerie feeling. I'm interested to test the performance of the X5 system and compare; my impression is that it's similar and requires hands-on-wheel after a fixed time, but after today I think I'm not ready for completely autonomous.

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-10-2019 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I agree. I don’t trust the autonomous driving features, and didn’t order the high-end feature package.

However, I love lane assist. I though I’d hate it but I don’t. And parking assist is also great, shows you objects on all sides when activated.

The one package I added was auto parking. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I’m looking for an opportunity.

Next car I might opt for more of the auto driving features - not sure yet. They are costly and seem foolish if I’ll never use them (just more complexity to go wrong) but I like the ones I have so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Interesting phenomenon in my 2018 Q7 today - hadn't had a chance to try out the Lane Keeping Assist after the rear camera software update, and when I engaged it, rather than beep and cut off after 15 seconds, it continued to drive. I'm not sure how long, but it was at least several minutes after I noticed it wasn't alerting, before I got nervous and took over. Clear weather, both lane markers green, light traffic, moderate speed (but over 40), fairly straight highway. A first. It continued to do this for the duration of the short trip, in increments as I let it - no cutoff. After I stopped the car and went back home the same route, back to normal. I'm going to chalk it up to MMI gremlins, but it actually did a good job. I see why Tesla owners are infatuated, but I was prepared every second to take over, although no hands on the wheel; it's actually an eerie feeling. I'm interested to test the performance of the X5 system and compare; my impression is that it's similar and requires hands-on-wheel after a fixed time, but after today I think I'm not ready for completely autonomous.
When "Driving Assistance Plus" conditions are met, the G05 will drive without intervention for an unlimited amount of time. Otherwise you need to touch the steering wheel every now and then in the standard "Driving Assistant" mode.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      07-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the Lane Keeping on the X5 must work similarly to the Q - hands-on periodically, and I've actually found it useful on the Q7, particularly on long stretches. Even though you have to show it you're paying attention, it does reduce driving fatigue. But this is the first time with the Q7 that it appeared to need no driver input (and I'm guessing some sort of Ghost in the Machine, random electron, or who knows what). It occured to me to wonder as it passed a cement truck on my left, 4 inches away, "What if the car "decides" to swerve quickly to the left?" And calculating how much time I would have to react, based on speed (over 50) and distance (less than a foot), I guessed less than a second. Maybe a lot less. So unlike the confidence some Tesla drivers appear to possess, I'm more convinced now that having periodic driver input is a good thing. Because if its electronic brain can forget that I'm supposed to keep my hands on the wheel every 15 seconds, it can make that swerve. Nothing electronic is fail-safe, so I actually appreciate the German systems in their current versions more now.

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-11-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
When "Driving Assistance Plus" conditions are met, the G05 will drive without intervention for an unlimited amount of time. Otherwise you need to touch the steering wheel every now and then in the standard "Driving Assistant" mode.
Not the Audi system, at least the 2018 version. Slower speeds, stop and go, maybe some utility in fully autonomous, although nervous-making to me now. But again, part of the litany of necessary things for lane keeping is that the lanes have to be clearly demarcated, right and left, and at least in these parts, I doubt there is a 5-mile stretch on any of our city highways that meets that single requirement.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

The self driving works great on my X5 except it brakes too hard when traffic is stopped in front. I am always worried the car behind me is going to slam into me so I turn it off. Otherwise on the highway with very little traffic it works beautifully.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Right on. Driving Assistance Plus" - is the best system on the market. Other companies are buying it from BMW. Cady, MB are all playing catch up.

Current 2019 Audi system is not even close.

Tesla is the only competition in that area - and they are doing their own development there. We will see who wins.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

The A8 has level 3 autonomy which is higher than Tesla level 2 but due to government regulations and the fact that they havent approved level 3 yet in the US, we get the level 2 autonomy but yet it still drives very well base on reviews. However the other models have yet to get that...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
rs4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I cannot get my X5 to stay centered in a lane. Even when it’s not listing back and forth like a drunken sailor, it wants to be closer to the center line on a two lane highway than I am comfortable with.

I’ve had it in twice already, and “system is working” is the diagnosis. Sad I paid extra for this feature. Considering pursuing lemon law if the next software update doesn’t fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I can’t remember exactly but on my last long road trim I layer my finger or knee on the steering wheel with Driving Assistance Plus activated for maybe 90 minutes. The car essentially drove itself on i95 south and auto passed cars using the turn signal. It was amazing and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #11
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4eva View Post
I cannot get my X5 to stay centered in a lane. Even when it’s not listing back and forth like a drunken sailor, it wants to be closer to the center line on a two lane highway than I am comfortable with.

I’ve had it in twice already, and “system is working” is the diagnosis. Sad I paid extra for this feature. Considering pursuing lemon law if the next software update doesn’t fix it.
Are you serious?
Lemon law because the cruise control drives closer to one side than what you prefer?
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50