BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

size of wireless charging tray in X5 M Sport

Dose anyone know the max size the wireless tray is able to accept?

I am looking at the Samsung S20 Ultra but I'm wondering if it will fit in the tray.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post

I am looking at the Samsung S20 Ultra but I'm wondering if it will fit in the tray.
My Note 9 barely fits - that is, it fits exactly - in its compact case, and I think the S20 Ultra is a half-inch larger, so my best guess would be not. The mid-range S20 seems to be the same size as the Note in Samsung's specs. That said, haven't tried it, but mid-March or so there should be some users....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:

My Note 9 barely fits - that is, it fits exactly - in its compact case, and I think the S20 Ultra is a half-inch larger, so my best guess would be not. The mid-range S20 seems to be the same size as the Note in Samsung's specs. That said, haven't tried it, but mid-March or so there should be some users....
oh no
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Phones just seem to be getting larger. Might fit without a case, but from the specs, I'm almost 100% certain it wouldn't with any case now made.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

is it a note 9 or note 9 plus ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a Note 9 - SM-N960U, right now in a Seido case, but have also used an Otterbox Defender with success - just. I was curious, so I measured the actual charging space (flat area between raised borders), and it's exactly 6.75" long (the exact length of my Note 9 in its Seido or Otterbox case). The Note 9 without a case is exactly 6.375" long, so the cases add 0.375" to the length. The new S20 Ultra dimensions list it as 6.57" long, so it appears it would, in fact, fit without a case. With the Defender case, extrapolating, it would be 6.945", or about 0.2" too long - or more. Width doesn't seem to be a problem, as the space is pretty deep.

That said, I believe it would physically fit in the covered space in a case - it just wouldn't lie flat, presumably preventing charging. It's also possible that with another type of case it might squeeze in, but I would suspect most cases would add at least 0.1" to either end, making the fit at the very least snug, and there isn't any "give" on either end of the charging space - hard plastic. Maybe we'll hear from someone in a few weeks who actually owns one of the new Samsungs with a report.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's a Note 9 - SM-N960U, right now in a Seido case, but have also used an Otterbox Defender with success - just. I was curious, so I measured the actual charging space (flat area between raised borders), and it's exactly 6.75" long (the exact length of my Note 9 in its Seido or Otterbox case). The Note 9 without a case is exactly 6.375" long, so the cases add 0.375" to the length. The new S20 Ultra dimensions list it as 6.57" long, so it appears it would, in fact, fit without a case. With the Defender case, extrapolating, it would be 6.945", or about 0.2" too long - or more. Width doesn't seem to be a problem, as the space is pretty deep.

That said, I believe it would physically fit in the covered space in a case - it just wouldn't lie flat, presumably preventing charging. It's also possible that with another type of case it might squeeze in, but I would suspect most cases would add at least 0.1" to either end, making the fit at the very least snug, and there isn't any "give" on either end of the charging space - hard plastic. Maybe we'll hear from someone in a few weeks who actually owns one of the new Samsungs with a report.
Three weeks in, I'm finding I don't use the charging tray on shorter trips. It's somewhat of a pain opening the compartment, inserting the phone properly, retrieving at destination and then closing the compartment.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Three weeks in, I'm finding I don't use the charging tray on shorter trips. It's somewhat of a pain opening the compartment, inserting the phone properly, retrieving at destination and then closing the compartment.
Yes, the phone will certainly work without the tray (Bluetooth), and you could in fact just hook up a charging cable from one of the charging ports if you needed a charge (center console for example), so lots of options - I did that for years in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well thanks for taking the time to do the measuring. I want to be able to use my phone as a digital key so I think it will need to be flat.. I'm going to buy unlocked from Samsung direct so if it doesn't work out I have 14 days to send it back.

I am on Verizon and their software locks the phone from being able to be used as a key. So I'll buy a unlocked from Asking to get past this.
Appreciate 0