BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Connected app stopped working

I’ve had pretty good luck with the connected app until today. I went to remote start the car and it just kept loading and wouldn’t start the car. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to “reset” the app? I deleted it and reinstalled it to no avail
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #2
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
I’ve had pretty good luck with the connected app until today. I went to remote start the car and it just kept loading and wouldn’t start the car. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to “reset” the app? I deleted it and reinstalled it to no avail
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
I've had pretty good luck with the connected app until today. I went to remote start the car and it just kept loading and wouldn't start the car. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to "reset" the app? I deleted it and reinstalled it to no avail
Welcome to the game! JK. it hasn't worked for 4 months for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

First screen that pops up the first time after purchasing this vehicle...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
mspete75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24' i760m 20' X6M50 19' X5M

Exact same issue. Works for my 2019 X5 flawlessly with remote start, camera, everything. My 2020 X6 - nothing. I send commands and it does nothing. I had it working briefly last week when I read a fix was to plug it in and drive about 40 miles. Sure enough it triggered the app to respond after I parked. Then it stopped again. So dumb... I want remote start to work now in the cold northeast. I like landing at the airport, using the app, and getting the car to start in the parking garage. Now I get to remote start 30 feet away with the fob.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

I had this problem a month ago. In my case, it was that the car stopped communicating with the connected drive servers, it wasn’t the app. I know, because my wife’s car is also in the app and it was working fine.

I worked with the dealer, they did the following:
Updated my firmware on the X6
Deleted my profile
Reset the iDrive (hold power button for like 30 seconds with engine running)
Reloaded my profile

The combination of those started everything back up and it’s been flawless for the last month or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

The App has not been updated in two months. The developers that handle it for BMW are totally clueless and have been for years.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Just reading these comments...all these "solutions" from BMW might work, but are totally unacceptable.

Under Promise, Over Deliver OR Over Promise, Under Deliver?

I would have no issue if they never mentioned these features in the app or coming to the vehicle...but, they did...and for me, spending much for a car, I expect better. Too many people say "oh you're being too critical" or "stop complaining". If you go to the grocery store and spend $300, but only get 50% of the items you purchased....what do you do?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Just reading these comments...all these "solutions" from BMW might work, but are totally unacceptable.
I completely agree with you. Honestly, I barely used the app prior to my X6. But the remote start capability was advertised to me and would be of value. When it stopped working, I was very irritated.

All I can say is that I reported it to the dealer, they tried what they could think of and since the FW update, it's been working without flaw.

Since I'm sure the issue was in the car, and not the app, perhaps the FW fixed the issue. And it had to be done by the dealer since the car itself could not find a FW update on it's own.

Lastly, I double-checked the invoice and they also found that there were ethernet errors logged. Having some experience in that area, my guess is that the communication system in the car was down and needed a good solid kick to get going again.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
I completely agree with you. Honestly, I barely used the app prior to my X6. But the remote start capability was advertised to me and would be of value. When it stopped working, I was very irritated.

All I can say is that I reported it to the dealer, they tried what they could think of and since the FW update, it's been working without flaw.

Since I'm sure the issue was in the car, and not the app, perhaps the FW fixed the issue. And it had to be done by the dealer since the car itself could not find a FW update on it's own.

Lastly, I double-checked the invoice and they also found that there were ethernet errors logged. Having some experience in that area, my guess is that the communication system in the car was down and needed a good solid kick to get going again.
It's funny...the vehicle is a pleasure to drive, but gets frustrating with the hit or miss tech. 99% of the time it works great, but the 1% seems to be the time when it matters most! Still waiting on remote software upgrades...on here, people say it's N-1 as far as the version. This is not what BMW advertises. I have no idea what's up with the app/vehicle as far as communicating. I get concerned when the app locks the vehicle and confirms it is locked, but you go to the status page and it's "unlocked". Small things and first world problems!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
mspete75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24' i760m 20' X6M50 19' X5M

The fact the app works for my X5 but not my X6 is just crazy! ANd the X5 was running the old software, just got updated yesterday at dealership with full service and it still works with the App.

The X6 100% updated since it rolled off assembly line and it doesn't work. LAME!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

The app stopped updating my i8 on 1/20 and X5 on 2/1. I am heading to the dealer today, this is frustrating. No connection to either car, latest iPhone 11. It worked quite well for some time when I purchased my i8 but lately it has been a joke. I rely on the app to remote start my cars to warm them up s using the Chicago winter and fall!

Seems like everybody is having different issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
Bancroft
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Speaking of software upgrades, my dealer says that they won't upgrade the software of my car unless I have issues with it. Is that normal procedure?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post
Speaking of software upgrades, my dealer says that they won't upgrade the software of my car unless I have issues with it. Is that normal procedure?
No not really normal but I wouldn’t go looking for a update if your system is stabile with what you currently have.

We all got a email a few months ago from BMW to bring our cars in for a exciting new update. This gave us caring car and many other updated features and graphics. I ran my original November 2018 operating system all the way up to January 1 of this year for the latest firmware which was November 2019. I skipped about six updates by doing this but actually I had much less aggravation in the end by waiting for a significant update.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post
I can't say if this normal or not, but I asked BMW of NA the exact same question. They replied with:
- Any factory required updates are free of charge at any dealership (that's similar to what you described);
- Any updates over the air are free of charge;
- Any updates per a customer request (except those I mentioned above) are paid.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #15
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

In my M50i back in Oct 2019 upon delivery, the X5 was in for PPF and tint. During that weekend, my remote cams could be seen working from the Connect Drive app. but now the CD app only shows those early Oct pics and fuel level etc. The weird thing is the CD apps def does work to send destinations to my car, I use that alot. Plus the app shows the vehicle in the correct location. but all other features , locking/unlock doors, horn honk, etc all does not work and hasn't for a long time.
      03-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
In my M50i back in Oct 2019 upon delivery, the X5 was in for PPF and tint. During that weekend, my remote cams could be seen working from the Connect Drive app. but now the CD app only shows those early Oct pics and fuel level etc. The weird thing is the CD apps def does work to send destinations to my car, I use that alot. Plus the app shows the vehicle in the correct location. but all other features , locking/unlock doors, horn honk, etc all does not work and hasn't for a long time.
Mine is misbehaving just like yours is.

I posted a similar question to the Forum here. I tried deleting the app hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1697468
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:38 AM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Forgot to ask...are you using iOS or Android?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #18
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep

I know I said mine was working without flaw. Must have jinx'ed myself because it stopped working yesterday. No location updates, no remote start.

It's a shame because it was working so well. Made another appointment to bring it in again for them to take another look.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #19
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Forgot to ask...are you using iOS or Android?
In my case IOS. It worked flawlessly on my i8 for years. Now it went dark for both cars, last update February 1. Maybe the leap year confused the software....joking.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #20
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

picked up my car a week ago today and the app has worked fine so far. Not a huge feature for me but nice to remote start when i need to. would much rather have ipod work properly. can't understand the issue with this, should be pretty straight forward. very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #21
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Not sure if you already did this, but the iOS app updated yesterday. Nothing big, but it says "bug fixes".
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #22
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure if you already did this, but the iOS app updated yesterday. Nothing big, but it says "bug fixes".
The only difference I noticed is that last version listed "Climatize Off" in Disabled Features and now entire Disabled Features section is gone along with "Climatize Off". I've been waiting for months with bated breath for this extraordinary UI cleanup, it is now perfection.

Ugh, well, also 3D view now appears to be broken in a brand new way. No, my car is not, in fact, in a desolate dessert void with no objects around it. Morons.
Attached Images

Last edited by LexxM3; 03-03-2020 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 1