BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
murkho
Rep
Drives: x5 (G05)

Adaptive Speed Limiter

Any idea how to activate adaptive speed limiter on x5 like the video below shows.

On my 2019 X5 with DA Pro, I see only adjust manually, or show current limit option.

NYC got 2000 new speed cameras and they are active 6am - 10pm and I don’t like pictures taken of my car without permission.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by murkho View Post
Any idea how to activate adaptive speed limiter on x5 like the video below shows.

On my 2019 X5 with DA Pro, I see only adjust manually, or show current limit option.

NYC got 2000 new speed cameras and they are active 6am - 10pm and I don't like pictures taken of my car without permission.
It's country dependent so you'd have to code it to become available for use in the US. (PS. I love it!)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
Alzaabi.ibrahim
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: Audi C7 S6, BMW GO5 X5 M50i

In my car I needed to put the setting as "Adjust Manually" to have the Speed Limit Assist Activated. Note that this option only works when your cruise control is activated whether it is on Assisted Driving mode or Distance Control mode.

My car is a 2020 with the Driving Assistant Professional
      02-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I tried to use this feature but it didnt work as well as I thought. I set it to 40mph on one notorious stretch of road, and when going down a hill, it went to 45mph and gave me these audible warnings that I was going faster than the limit.

When I tried it at the dealership, it wouldnt go past the limit, even if you pushed your foot all the way down on the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I tried to use this feature but it didnt work as well as I thought. I set it to 40mph on one notorious stretch of road, and when going down a hill, it went to 45mph and gave me these audible warnings that I was going faster than the limit.

When I tried it at the dealership, it wouldnt go past the limit, even if you pushed your foot all the way down on the pedal.
The LIM (Limit) button on the left side of the steering wheel controls is not the same as the Manual Speed Limit control (US version). The LIM control only sets a warning at a specific speed you set by pushing it (and/or adjusting it). It then requires a harder push of the accelerator to overcome it (or a coasting run downhill as you discovered), and when the speed exceeds the limit you set, you get a chime warning at 2-3 mph over.

The Manual Speed Limit control - in the US - gives you the option of selecting the displayed speed limit in the center instrument cluster as your current speed, by pressing the SET button (if you have selected ACC previously). Outside the US, I believe the speed can be automatically set if this option is selected, per the video. It was automatic in my US-spec Q7, and I find the manual system in the X5 to be better in almost every respect.

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-22-2020 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #6
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
The LIM (Limit) button on the left side of the steering wheel controls is not the same as the Manual Speed Limit control (US version). The LIM control only sets a warning at a specific speed you set by pushing it (and/or adjusting it). It then requires a harder push of the accelerator to overcome it (or a coasting run downhill as you discovered), and when the speed exceeds the limit you set, you get a chime warning at 2-3 mph over.

The Manual Speed Limit control - in the US - gives you the option of selecting the displayed speed limit in the center instrument cluster as your current speed, by pressing the SET button (if you have selected ACC previously). Outside the US, I believe the speed can be automatically set if this option is selected, per the video. It was automatic in my US-spec Q7, and I find the manual system in the X5 to be better in almost every respect.
I don't get this....then why Audi has this feature enabled for the US market? Confusing as it gets, one German auto company has the approval to have this function but the other one is hesitant to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:24 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
I don't get this....then why Audi has this feature enabled for the US market? Confusing as it gets, one German auto company has the approval to have this function but the other one is hesitant to do it.
I don't think it has anything to do with regulatory requirements. Probably similar to the reason Audi doesn't have an "Auto Hold" button in US cars, or cupholder covers - features that come standard with the same models in Europe. I suspect $$ factor in there somewhere, although this would seem to be just software activation.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

This can be unlocked in coding:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687106

There are similarly confusing regulatory issues with remote start in the UK. Some vendors allow it, some don't. Technically it's illegal to quit/have the engine running on a public road in the UK but perfectly fine on private land.

I guess some car makers allow for private use and others just follow the laws.
Appreciate 0