02-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #639
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Is it illegal to flash your lights to warn another motorist about a speed trap?
I've heard that flashing headlights to warn of most anything is OK, being a form of free speech.
But I live in the Peoples Republic of Brooklyn.

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      02-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #640
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I've heard that flashing headlights to warn of most anything is OK, being a form of free speech.

Murf
I don't think the law would be specific to the "warning" aspect of it as much as a safety issue of flashing high beams at oncoming drivers and the impact it might have on their ability to see the road.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #641
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I don't think the law would be specific to the "warning" aspect of it as much as a safety issue of flashing high beams at oncoming drivers and the impact it might have on their ability to see the road.

Murf
As I recall from back in the 80's, it was a quick on-off-on of the regular driving lights, not a flash to high beams and back. It was really common. Also, CB radios were the first version of Waze. If there was a cop setting up to shoot radar somewhere, he wouldn't even have the cruiser in "Park" and it'd be announced on the CB.
      02-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #642
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
As I recall from back in the 80's, it was a quick on-off-on of the regular driving lights, not a flash to high beams and back. It was really common. Also, CB radios were the first version of Waze. If there was a cop setting up to shoot radar somewhere, he wouldn't even have the cruiser in "Park" and it'd be announced on the CB.
So the other thing I'll mention along the "free speech" argument goes back to when I worked with Morality and the Drug Squad. When we were doing drug buys on the street occasionally someone would recognize the UC and start yelling that they were a cop, that person occasionally got arrested for Obstruct Police.

For the most part, flashing at oncoming motorist to warn them is probably not going to land you in trouble, but if the police see you do it they may want to talk to you and that may lead to other offences being found. Food for thought.
Appreciate 4
Maynard3804.50
vreihen1614882.00
David0ff1055.00
OrcaPod73.50
      02-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #643
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I remember this made the news several years ago. It went to court and was held to be protected under the first amendment.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #644
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the other thing I'll mention along the "free speech" argument goes back to when I worked with Morality and the Drug Squad. When we were doing drug buys on the street occasionally someone would recognize the UC and start yelling that they were a cop, that person occasionally got arrested for Obstruct Police.

For the most part, flashing at oncoming motorist to warn them is probably not going to land you in trouble, but if the police see you do it they may want to talk to you and that may lead to other offences being found. Food for thought.
Yup, and I think that's fair. But I could also argue that my warning the other motorists and said motorists then slowing down, is in fact producing the very behavior that the cop is trying to encourage and enforce with his/her presence. Getting a ticket, of course, will have a much more lasting speed reduction effect than seeing me flash my lights will.
      02-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #645
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
I remember this made the news several years ago. It went to court and was held to be protected under the first amendment.
Thank you Charlie!

A related item is the right to use a radar detector. I think the relevant ruling was that we have the right to "inquire' into who is surveilling us.
I think only Virginia (& Canada!) still prohibit radar detectors. Used to be way more states banned them.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 02-23-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #646
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Murf
In this day & age of people running DRLs, headlights, & foglights on sunny days, I find a quick few flashes to be no dangerous thing.
Mr. Pennsive, since the '70s I've been flashing hi-beams (as Euro cars generally can), not using the low beams as I think you are saying.
And I don't trust the cops to glance in my car. I often try to drive in a collared shirt, & keep the 'bad' stuff in the trunk.

Murf

PS:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post:

Murf

^^^
Hey Salty!
You signed off with my name above!
We don't want to confuse people....

Last edited by Littlebear; 02-22-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #647
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In this day & age of people running DRLs, headlights, & foglights on sunny days, I find a quick few flashes to be no dangerous thing.
Mr. Pennsive, since the '70s I've been flashing hi-beams (as Euro cars generally can), not using the low beams as I think you are saying.
And I don't trust the cops to glance in my car. I often try to drive in a collared shirt, & keep the 'bad' stuff in the trunk.

Murf

PS:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post:

Murf

^^^
Hey Salty!
You signed off with my name above!
We don't want to confuse people....
it's also my last name....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #648
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Keep in mind that Paul Revere lived in Boston, and thus was a Red Sox fan. Just saying, since I once heard about a New Yorkistan state police officer giving someone a ticket and telling them that they weren't Paul Revere and the British were not coming.....
      02-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #649
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it's also my last name....
Congrats! I guess I shouldn't be surprised....

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #650
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Keep in mind that Paul Revere lived in Boston, and thus was a Red Sox fan. Just saying, since I once heard about a New Yorkistan state police officer giving someone a ticket and telling them that they weren't Paul Revere and the British were not coming.....
That's pretty funny! But I'm sure Massachusetts cops have a good sense of humor when they have the 'draw' on you, also.
They be Red Sox fans, right?!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #651
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Congrats! I guess I shouldn't be surprised....

Murf
It's not like Murphy is an uncommon name back in the old country.....and there are a few Murphy's in the police dept. At least there used to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #652
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

CA freeways are filled with idiots driving at 65 on the left most lane. This often holds up 30-40 vehicles, with everyone going at same speed and with short distances between.

It is tempting and probably safer to just pass the slower vehicle on the HOV lane and then merge back. Any leeway if a cop sees this?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #653
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
CA freeways are filled with idiots driving at 65 on the left most lane. This often holds up 30-40 vehicles, with everyone going at same speed and with short distances between.

It is tempting and probably safer to just pass the slower vehicle on the HOV lane and then merge back. Any leeway if a cop sees this?
I wouldn't. It's not worth the carpool violation.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #654
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Speaking of carpool lanes, I have on occasion when in LA for work crossed into the HOV lane when not at one of the designated entry/exit points (usually on my way to Ontario right after going from the 105 to the 605).

I always figured that if I got pulled over I would tell the office I'm sorry and that I'm out there for business and didn't know there were special areas to get into and out of the HOV lanes.

Any likelihood I'd see any leniency if I got caught?
      02-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #655
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Speaking of carpool lanes, I have on occasion when in LA for work crossed into the HOV lane when not at one of the designated entry/exit points (usually on my way to Ontario right after going from the 105 to the 605).

I always figured that if I got pulled over I would tell the office I'm sorry and that I'm out there for business and didn't know there were special areas to get into and out of the HOV lanes.

Any likelihood I'd see any leniency if I got caught?

Probably! I might cut you some slack.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #656
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's not like Murphy is an uncommon name back in the old country.....and there are a few Murphy's in the police dept. At least there used to be.
So you're the guys behind Murphy's Law? Great. Thanks a fucking lot.

My kin on my mom's side are all O'Brien, Kavanagh, McDonald, O'Gara, and O'Shaunessy.
      02-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #657
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:

My kin on my mom's side are all O'Brien, Kavanagh, McDonald, O'Gara, and O'Shaunessy.
Murphy's law has been with me for a very long time.....and a number of folks have cursed me for it.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      02-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #658
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's also why we don't have user names to reflect our last name (I use my dog's name); they are all taken!
Another prob with being named Thomas Murphy is that the cops (& banks) can always find an open warrant on you!

Murf

PS: I'm ~ 1/8 Irish, but since I'm named Murphy everyone thinks I'm a Mic!

Last edited by Littlebear; 02-23-2020 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #659
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's also why we don't have user names to reflect our last name; they are all taken!
Another prob with being named Thomas Murphy is that the cops (& banks) can always find an open warrant on you!

Murf
Yeah, having a name that common would have downsides like you mention. Mine's really common in the Eastern part of the US, but much less so here in the Midwest. An upside to a common name is that you don't have to spell it out every time you say it to someone. Unless of course your parents did something horrible and cursed you with a spelling like "Tommus Merfy". Why do parents do shit like that?
      02-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #660
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Salty Dog and Sedan_Clan

Have you ever stopped a bicyclist and gave him/her ticket/warning for a violation?
e.g. riding on pedestrian crossing or sidewalk or weaving through traffic lanes etc?

Are there any unwritten rules that you follow RE: bicyclists in general ?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0