BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-28-2022, 05:15 PM   #1
JA06
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40ixdrive

Michelin CrossClimate2 First impressions

Hello folks, just wanted to share my feelings with the Michelin CrossClimate2 as we are getting closer to winter. I had them for a few weeks now.

Background
I bought my G05 CPO late 08/22, it came with the 20 inch 740M wheel along with the Bridgeston Alenza Sport A/S RFT which were actually pretty good tire on dry. However, the very first time it snowed (light snow) the car was ABSOLUTELY undrivable. Inexistant grip and very poor braking. Therefore, I had to start looking for new tires and decided to go with the CrossClimate2. It is good to remember (correct me if I am wrong) that they are the only All Season tires that can be legally considered as snow tires. Michelin is a brand I trust a lot (one of the last thing the French can do right ) and seems to be very popular in the Alps so I felt very confident ordering them.
Had them for 1330 USD on tirerack.

Feeling/Performance

First thing I noticed… HOLY COW these tires are comfortable, they feel much softer than the Bridgestone, much less noise and the ride quality is just smoother in general. However, the driving doesn’t seem as precise as with the Bridgestone, the car also feels a bit slower when punching the pedal. (Probably because these are touring and not sport tires).
So far, I was very impressed by them, they handle very well on snow, and pretty good on dry but a bit lower than the Alenza, seems logical since they are more oriented for winter conditions.

Fuel Economy

I had an average of 23.5 mpg (10L/100km) overall with the Bridgestone and have now dropped to 18mpg (14L/100km)
I will update this as we go through the winter!

Conclusion

The change in tires was definitely worth it. I feel much more confident driving with them!Let’s now see how long they last!
Appreciate 3
Muto101.00
kkpat44.00
cptcolo102.00
      12-04-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
Thanks. That's a huge drop on meg's though
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 12:12 AM   #3
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA06 View Post
Hello folks, just wanted to share my feelings with the Michelin CrossClimate2 as we are getting closer to winter. I had them for a few weeks now.

Background
I bought my G05 CPO late 08/22, it came with the 20 inch 740M wheel along with the Bridgeston Alenza Sport A/S RFT which were actually pretty good tire on dry. However, the very first time it snowed (light snow) the car was ABSOLUTELY undrivable. Inexistant grip and very poor braking. Therefore, I had to start looking for new tires and decided to go with the CrossClimate2. It is good to remember (correct me if I am wrong) that they are the only All Season tires that can be legally considered as snow tires. Michelin is a brand I trust a lot (one of the last thing the French can do right ) and seems to be very popular in the Alps so I felt very confident ordering them.

Feeling/Performance

First thing I noticed… HOLY COW these tires are comfortable, they feel much softer than the Bridgestone, much less noise and the ride quality is just smoother in general. However, the driving doesn’t seem as precise as with the Bridgestone, the car also feels a bit slower when punching the pedal. (Probably because these are touring and not sport tires).
So far, I was very impressed by them, they handle very well on snow, and pretty good on dry but a bit lower than the Alenza, seems logical since they are more oriented for winter conditions.

Fuel Economy

I had an average of 23.5 mpg (10L/100km) overall with the Bridgestone and have now dropped to 18mpg (14L/100km)

Conclusion

The change in tires was definitely worth it. I feel much more confident driving with them!Let’s now see how long they last!
Quote:

Background

Feeling/Performance

First thing I noticed… HOLY COW these tires are comfortable, they feel much softer than the Bridgestone, much less noise and the ride quality is just smoother in general. However, the driving doesn't seem as precise as with the Bridgestone, the car also feels a bit slower when punching the pedal. (Probably because these are touring and not sport tires).

Fuel Economy

Conclusion

The change in tires was definitely worth it. I feel much more confident driving with them!Let's now see how long they last!
I am in similar boat and trying to move from Bridgestone to Cross climate 2.

What was the difference in tire pressure between two? Also I heard the tires are unidirectional and has to be installed in manufacture's recommended way.

May be changing the tire pressure can help with mileage!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Leelanau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW x5 xDrive40i

Hi there, just installed Cross Climate 2's on my wife's x5 yesterday. What you are using for PSI front and rear?

Here's our car's specs:
2020 BMW x5 xDrive40i
740m style wheels, blue M sport calipers
GVWR 6162 lbs 2795 kg
GAWR Front 2921 lbs 1325 kg
GAWR Rear 3616 lbs 1640 kg

Stock run-flat tires were:
Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S
275/45R20 110H M+S RSC
Front: 33 PSI
Rear: 41 PSI

Replacement tires:
Michelin Cross Climate 2
275/45R20 110V XL

I called Michelin Customer Care, and the lady punched in our cars specs and advised the following RCTIP:

Front: 32 PSI
Rear: 35 PSI
29 PSI minimum / 50 PSI maximum

Are you using something close to 32 psi front/35 psi rear?
Appreciate 2
kkpat44.00
      12-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

I would to learn it too. Thanks for posting. I am going to make the same switch. How is the ride quality and noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
Belnir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 - sapphire black

I have them in 255/65/r18 and theyre comfy and quiet. My mpg has not dropped significantly maybe like .4 mpg but i have only been driving in city. Seeing 16-17 mpg. On the highway, i see apmost 30 mpg at times with the lighter wheel and tire package. I have them set to 46/47 front/ rear because i was seeing too much sidewall bulge at 36. 46/47 is still comfortable but will lower to 40/41psi.
Edit: haven't tried them on snow yet but rain performance is very good. Theyre not uhp all seasons and as such will perform poorer than the bridgestone runflats.
From what i can tell and what i throw at my 40i, its still athletic and composed. So far 1k miles on tires

Last edited by Belnir; 12-07-2022 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Adding more info
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      12-14-2022, 12:35 AM   #7
JA06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelanau View Post
Hi there, just installed Cross Climate 2's on my wife's x5 yesterday. What you are using for PSI front and rear?

Here's our car's specs:
2020 BMW x5 xDrive40i
740m style wheels, blue M sport calipers
GVWR 6162 lbs 2795 kg
GAWR Front 2921 lbs 1325 kg
GAWR Rear 3616 lbs 1640 kg

Stock run-flat tires were:
Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S
275/45R20 110H M+S RSC
Front: 33 PSI
Rear: 41 PSI

Replacement tires:
Michelin Cross Climate 2
275/45R20 110V XL

I called Michelin Customer Care, and the lady punched in our cars specs and advised the following RCTIP:

Front: 32 PSI
Rear: 35 PSI
29 PSI minimum / 50 PSI maximum

Are you using something close to 32 psi front/35 psi rear?
I am currently following what idrive says even if it is a bit different from the door sticker. Currently with 34 PSI front and 39 PSI rear.
Gas Mileage has come back to around 23 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 12:38 AM   #8
JA06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
I would to learn it too. Thanks for posting. I am going to make the same switch. How is the ride quality and noise?
Compared to the run flat, it is night and day. The car just feels like floating, it is very noticeable when going over bumps. They do a great job absorbing them. I find them less noisy in town but I have not seen much difference when on the Highway.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 12:41 AM   #9
JA06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
I am in similar boat and trying to move from Bridgestone to Cross climate 2.

What was the difference in tire pressure between two? Also I heard the tires are unidirectional and has to be installed in manufacture's recommended way.

May be changing the tire pressure can help with mileage!
Yes the Cross Climate 2 are sort of V shaped so they need to be mounted with the V shape pointing to the front of the car. They run a bit higher in pressure than the run flat but I have gained by my gas mileage so I am not so stressed about it anymore
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 05:04 PM   #10
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Have just completed a 1000 mile return trip to Canada on Cross Climate 2s. This was during the snow storms over the Xmas period.

I have to say this tyre is magnificent in torrential rainy conditions and very good in snow, bearing in mind this is not a full winter / snow tyre.
At no time did I have any reason not to trust the grip of the tyre, whether running on water logged roads, slushy snow covered or on packed snow. I will add, the tyres were almost new before the trip, so this probably helps a lot.

I do not find the noise of the tyre too obtrusive either.
Fuel consumption is around 23-25 mpg.
Ride is good.

I am very happy. I was thinking of going to a performance tyre in summer, but will see how the Michelins fair once the temperatures go up and the road surface heats up.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 07:00 PM   #11
Salcor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Hey guys,

After using them for a while would you still recommend them?

How long do they last? Should I be worried about durability?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:55 AM   #12
jetfixer320
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Drive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salcor View Post
Hey guys,

How long do they last? Should I be worried about durability?
If you run the 20" (square) setup, Michelin says this is a 60,000 mile tire, and in my experience unless there's another issue, such as alignment, or extreme pressure deviations, you're generally going to get every bit of wear Michelin advertises, and then some.
If you run a staggered setup, Michelin (like nearly every other tire manufacturer) reduces the tread life warranty by half (Because you can't rotate them)
Appreciate 1
Salcor1.50
      03-18-2024, 07:55 PM   #13
dwswager
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX-5

I put Crossclimates on my daughter's HRV. Great tire for what it is. Runs comfortable and quiet.

For an X5 though, I would want better performance in an all-season tire. I would recommend either the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Cheaper option) or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I've run 5 sets of the Conti DWS (3 on an Acrua TL) and 2 on my wife's Honda Odyssey. They are about the best wet weather tire I've driven. The TL is good in the snow, but I did the pittsburgh blizzard in 2010 on them. The Contis will wear quicker than the Michelin and be done 5,000 miles earlier.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:31 PM   #14
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Fuel Economy

Call me skeptically, but if both tires are inflacted correctly, there is no reason one will do 18MPG while another can do 23.5MPG. This is 25% improvement. I think 23.5MPG is the right number for average tire. 18MPG is something wrong.