United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Possible to Code Welcome Lights On While In Reverse?

Do any of you with experience coding the G05 know how to code the Welcome Lights to be on in reverse?

In the BMW F3x/F8x there are LEDs in the door handles that will illuminate the ground when you unlock the car or use comfort access. Coding allowed these lights to come on when the car was in reverse. This was great because when using the "birds eye" camera view while in reverse at night, the side of the car was illuminated providing additional visibility. This functionality was standard in EU cars, but not on US spec cars.

Fast forward to the G05 (I actually have a G07 X7, but I am assuming the coding for this would be identical if it is possible), I think it would be great to code the same thing with the Welcome Lights installed on the G05/G07. I don't know if this functionality is available on EU cars though. Also, unlike the door handle LEDs on the F3x/F8x, the LEDs on the G0x don't illuminate the ground so even if the door LEDs could be coded on while in reverse, it would not be as functional.

The modules in the F3x/F8x and the G0x are mostly different. But to help those with the coding tools to search in the G0x, in the F3x/F8x, the coding parameters for this functionality were in the Front Electronics Module (FEM_BODY) under the parameter "OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHRLICHT" so I will speculate that the first place to look for such a parameter in the G0x would be the Body Domain Controller (BDC).

Thoughts?

For those who don't know what lights I am talking about, here is a pic below. They are installed on most new G-series BMWs:

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I was actually trying to find a way to make the light carpet stay on longer. Seems like it only stays on for around 30 seconds after opening the door but it'll be nice if it can stay on permanently while the car is in park.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I was actually trying to find a way to make the light carpet stay on longer. Seems like it only stays on for around 30 seconds after opening the door but it'll be nice if it can stay on permanently while the car is in park.
This is how it works on my X7. Do you not have the same options on the X5? You can pick from various time frames for how long the lights stay on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:52 AM   #4
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Do any of you with experience coding the G05 know how to code the Welcome Lights to be on in reverse?

In the BMW F3x/F8x there are LEDs in the door handles that will illuminate the ground when you unlock the car or use comfort access. Coding allowed these lights to come on when the car was in reverse. This was great because when using the "birds eye" camera view while in reverse at night, the side of the car was illuminated providing additional visibility. This functionality was standard in EU cars, but not on US spec cars.

Fast forward to the G05 (I actually have a G07 X7, but I am assuming the coding for this would be identical if it is possible), I think it would be great to code the same thing with the Welcome Lights installed on the G05/G07. I don't know if this functionality is available on EU cars though. Also, unlike the door handle LEDs on the F3x/F8x, the LEDs on the G0x don't illuminate the ground so even if the door LEDs could be coded on while in reverse, it would not be as functional.

The modules in the F3x/F8x and the G0x are mostly different. But to help those with the coding tools to search in the G0x, in the F3x/F8x, the coding parameters for this functionality were in the Front Electronics Module (FEM_BODY) under the parameter "OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHRLICHT" so I will speculate that the first place to look for such a parameter in the G0x would be the Body Domain Controller (BDC).

Thoughts?

For those who don't know what lights I am talking about, here is a pic below. They are installed on most new G-series BMWs:

Did anyone figure this out?
Appreciate 0