02-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Having taking delivery two weeks ago (1/30) I thought now would be a good opportunity to offer my thoughts on the vehicle and what I might do differently.

The Vehicle:
X5/ M50i
Mineral White/ Black Extended/ Fine Wood Ash Grain with High Gloss Silver/ 21" wheels
Executive/ DHP/ DAP/ Heated front seats
Luxury Seating/ leather dash/ glass controls/ acoustic/ extended shadow line/

Background: to better understand these comments I believe it's helpful to understand our situation. We're both retired, me from international finance positions. We have two vehicles (650i) despite the fact my wife rarely drives. An SUV is a necessity as 1. easy entry/exit 2. room for golf and gardening equipment, etc. 3. room for four adults 4. comfort for short trips visiting family in DC area.
I drove a 2015 Audi SQ5 which I really liked so was looking for a replacement that provided similar handling/power but bit more size and luxury. Decided preference was 60% luxury/ 40% power/handling. Considered MB/ Audi/ Lexus/ Porsche/ but quickly focused on BMW: X3/M Competition (too small) / X7 (too big); X6 (I liked/wife hated) before deciding on X5. Drove the 40i and was pleasantly impressed with power but handling I found a little "soft". Tried the M50i, liked the power but again thought handling was soft. At suggestion of this forum found a DHP model at a dealer an hour away and absolutely loved it. Negotiated the build with several regional dealers and placed an order 12/27. I know I've mentioned in other threads that my research on models/ colors/ options etc took a long time (3 months) probably because I'm retired so have the time and was in no rush as I really liked my Audi. However once I knew what I wanted, negotiating a price was a relatively quick and painless process (5 days).

Things I like:
-absolutely love the vehicle handling with the DHP package. Makes handling this relatively larger vehicle a pleasure. Anything will get us from point A to point B. This vehicle makes this trip itself enjoyable. Similar to flying in FC vs YC.
-the power. I'll never take the car to the track or even exceed 85 MPH. However the sound of that motor starting, the power every time you pull away from a stop, the knowledge that you always have more power to enter traffic or pass a slower vehicle is exciting and comforting.
-am still getting accustomed to the DAP driving package/ features and find I'm using much more than originally anticipated. I thought it was similar to cruise control which I only use on longer highway trips. I find I use this all the time allowing me to keep one hand lightly on the wheel while the car remains in it's lane. It's still going to take another month before I'm fully comfortable with how the system works and have it set to my preferences.
-there are several features we have in my wife's car that initially may seem "frivolous" but are now must have to include heads up display and soft close doors.
-with a goal of wanting more luxury than the SQ5 and to get the feel closer to the 650, certain options are necessary IMO: glass controls/ acoustic glass / leather seats, dashboard/ luxury seating. In reality, the cost to get the luxury we wanted was relatively inexpensive vs to get the handling/power features I wanted.

Things I got that I now question:
-roof light package (I don't see it but part of Executive package)
-hot/cold features (haven't used yet and part of package)
-rear shades (part of same package)
-leather dash (I could live with standard dash)

Things I wish I got:
-the upgraded headliner. Really didn't focus on it but in hindsight it would have added more luxury feel.
-upgraded stereo. I doubt the BG's, Temptations or Journey would sound much better but would have been tempted if the incremental price was easier to justify.
-full merino leather. Really like the look of the additional leather on the doors, post and dash.
-spare tire. I didn't notice explanation as why to get with run-flats in this forum until order was placed.

Things I would never give up:
-power of M50i
-handling of DHP

Things I would consider dropping to economize in order of priority; (not happily):
-Mineral to Alpine White
-upgraded trim (most trim options look good/acceptable)
-acoustic glass (I understand car is quiet w/o)
-leather dash (the standard dash isn't bad)
-luxury seats (massaging/ventilating features I rarely use however wife uses daily)
-downgrading from executive to premium package
-DAP
-21 to 20" wheels.

In summary, I believe I've been fortunate making good selections with this vehicle purchase that make sense for us. I have to attribute most of that result to this forum and the cumulative advice of your postings. While we tend to sometimes become, IMO, overly critical and judgmental I believe at some level our intention is to share our knowledge and experience to the benefit of all participants. I will attempt to do the same going forward.

I will update this review in another 30 days if my opinions tend to change which I doubt.
Appreciate 11
scotchy210.00
bluzbra270.00
Auricom4361.50
wtwo317971.00
araje58.50
Mtn2Srf282.00
Tek-dad160.50
VTENGR1052.50
Cooltones241.00
      02-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Congrats on the new car! I haven't driven the M50i or anything with DHP. The forum was a huge help in confirming that was the right way to go though.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy167.00
      02-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Congrats on the new car! I haven't driven the M50i or anything with DHP. The forum was a huge help in confirming that was the right way to go though.
Thanks for the "appreciation" as it put me at 100. I think I'm now a general and can retire at 80% compensation.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the "appreciation" as it put me at 100. I think I'm now a general and can retire at 80% compensation.
Lol. Maybe if you're nice your wife will bake you a cake.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Congrats and glad you're enjoying the car.

I sometimes wish we had gone for the 50i/M50i with DHP. At the time (and still now I suppose) we viewed the X5 as just an uber-comfortable family hauler. And for that purpose the 40i has plenty of power, and the air suspension along with acoustic glass and the luxury seating package all combine to make a very serene and relaxing driving experience. Sort of what Lexus should have been but they're stuck in the year 2010.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Congrats and glad you're enjoying the car.

I sometimes wish we had gone for the 50i/M50i with DHP. At the time (and still now I suppose) we viewed the X5 as just an uber-comfortable family hauler. And for that purpose the 40i has plenty of power, and the air suspension along with acoustic glass and the luxury seating package all combine to make a very serene and relaxing driving experience. Sort of what Lexus should have been but they're stuck in the year 2010.
There is no one perfect car for everybody. We each have different expectations, desires and needs. We don't have children in car frequently (grandchildren are older); I do all driving; we drive 5K miles/year; local traffic is easy and roads are in good shape; snow is not concern; gas is cheap; I need room for golf clubs/gardening, etc. Change a few of these issues and the car can change dramatically.
If I was still working and used for commuting I would have gotten the X5/40 as I was pleasantly surprised with the power, reduced luxury (leather seats/dash/trim) and chosen premium vs executive package as I would be putting on more miles and leaving at airport for extended periods. (Don't miss those business trips at all).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Very nice to see your review. I have been following your updates on this forum ever since I decided and zeroed down on X5.

I had the same spare tire situation like you and will just be living with it.
My wife tells me I am being overly obsessed about getting everything in order before the X5 arrives.
But then, how do I keep myself sane while waiting, I say.

Will be looking forward to your 30day review.
Oh and by the way, my status changed today to Awaiting carrier assignment.

Wishing you and your family many many happy miles with your M50i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Very nice to see your review. I have been following your updates on this forum ever since I decided and zeroed down on X5.

I had the same spare tire situation like you and will just be living with it.
My wife tells me I am being overly obsessed about getting everything in order before the X5 arrives.
But then, how do I keep myself sane while waiting, I say.

Will be looking forward to your 30day review.
Oh and by the way, my status changed today to Awaiting carrier assignment.

Wishing you and your family many many happy miles with your M50i
I'm fortunate and pleased that my misses have been few. The spare tire miss I'll accept.

Your very close waiting carrier assignment and I'm sure anxious to take delivery. I'm unsure if our ability to track production is a blessing or a curse. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Please let us know how delivery goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Congrats and thanks for your review! Confused about one thing - you mention the leather dash could have been skipped but you also wonder if you should have gotten the extra leather as you like the look. do you like the extended but don't feel the leather dash adds enough to that package/look?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
Congrats and thanks for your review! Confused about one thing - you mention the leather dash could have been skipped but you also wonder if you should have gotten the extra leather as you like the look. do you like the extended but don't feel the leather dash adds enough to that package/look?
I was questioning that logic myself. It's the incremental value an option brings vs the alternative.

With the full merino it includes the leather dash so the incremental cost of the full merino is really $1500 over the extended merino. I think it's worth it given the additional leather on the doors, etc.

Alternatively, having only optioned the leather dash for $850, I didn't think it alone added sufficient incremental luxury vs the standard product offered, whatever it's called. Both options are nice. Conversely, the glass controls I like significantly more than the standard controls.

Hope that helps explain my tortured logic.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
I was questioning that logic myself. It's the incremental value an option brings vs the alternative.

With the full merino it includes the leather dash so the incremental cost of the full merino is really $1500 over the extended merino. I think it's worth it given the additional leather on the doors, etc.

Alternatively, having only optioned the leather dash for $850, I didn't think it alone added sufficient incremental luxury vs the standard product offered, whatever it's called. Both options are nice. Conversely, the glass controls I like significantly more than the standard controls.

4M5 Leather dash option ($850) adds leather upper dashboard and leather covered front and rear window sills.

ZB Full Merino leather option when upgrading from Extended Merino with 4M5, just replaces the soft touch lower dashboard with covered leather.

M50i
Vernasca standard = $0

4M5 Leather dash = $850
Extended Merino = +$1,000
Extended Merino with 4M5 = $1,850 / $1,000 + $850

Upgrade to Full Merino from Extended with 4M5 = $1,500 for lower leather dashboard = $3350 total

Upgrade to Full Merino from Vernasca (Extended Merino + 4M5 + leather lower dashboard) = $3350

Replacing SensaTec dashboard and door window sills for $850 is a good value that most owners option versus going full Merino. The $1500 incremental value to go from Extended Merino + 4M5 to full, one could put that $1500 + $400 towards: acoustic glass, glass controls and alcantara headliner.

Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      02-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:

4M5 Leather dash option ($850) adds leather upper dashboard and leather covered front and rear window sills.

ZB Full Merino leather option when upgrading from Extended Merino with 4M5, just replaces the soft touch lower dashboard with covered leather.

M50i
Vernasca standard = $0

4M5 Leather dash = $850
Extended Merino = +$1,000
Extended Merino with 4M5 = $1,850 / $1,000 + $850

Upgrade to Full Merino from Extended with 4M5 = $1,500 for lower leather dashboard = $3350 total

Upgrade to Full Merino from Vernasca (Extended Merino + 4M5 + leather lower dashboard) = $3350

Replacing SensaTec dashboard and door window sills for $850 is a good value that most owners option versus going full Merino. The $1500 incremental value to go from Extended Merino + 4M5 to full, one could put that $1500 + $400 towards: acoustic glass, glass controls and alcantara headliner.
Thank you for the clearer description of available options.

IMO, the extended merino/ leather dashboard selection is a means of "splitting the difference": getting some leather in highly visible areas yet at the same time economizing to add other options. I understand and admit it's the direction I took. I don't dislike it however now that I have it I regret not getting full merino because my goal was to maximize luxury not economize.
I should also note that we don't lease and hold onto cars for 4-5 years so we have a longer period of time to enjoy upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:

IMO, the extended merino/ leather dashboard selection is a means of "splitting the difference": getting some leather in highly visible areas yet at the same time economizing to add other options. I understand and admit it's the direction I took. I don't dislike it however now that I have it I regret not getting full merino because my goal was to maximize luxury not economize.
I should also note that we don't lease and hold onto cars for 4-5 years so we have a longer period of time to enjoy upgrades.
I agree, I took the same approach - rarely economized and try max luxury. Also, I didn't want to check off too many boxes since this was a brand new year model and I usually wait until LCI to lease.

I'm going full Ivory White with Night Blue with blue Alcantara headline next time versus extended - the blue leather dash and window sills is a nice touch.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. makes total sense and i understand completely. I kind of did the same thing with regards to luxury and ordered extended merino.

You had mentioned to me in another thread about the glass controls but I decided it was not for me so i passed.

Porsche really makes it tough for folks like us. the way they option things out they make it impossible to stop adding things! lol especially leather. almost every piece can be optioned in leather and eventually you're saying "well, if i cover that in leather i have to cover that or it will look unfinished". I'm embarrassed to tell you what i spent on options on my 997 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #15
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. makes total sense and i understand completely. I kind of did the same thing with regards to luxury and ordered extended merino.

You had mentioned to me in another thread about the glass controls but I decided it was not for me so i passed.

Porsche really makes it tough for folks like us. the way they option things out they make it impossible to stop adding things! lol especially leather. almost every piece can be optioned in leather and eventually you're saying "well, if i cover that in leather i have to cover that or it will look unfinished". I'm embarrassed to tell you what i spent on options on my 997 turbo.
Lol. I played around optioning out a 718 cayman shortly after they came out. You can double the msrp pretty easily. Pretty sure you can add $30ish thousand just in leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #16
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol. I played around optioning out a 718 cayman shortly after they came out. You can double the msrp pretty easily. Pretty sure you can add $30ish thousand just in leather.
Ding Ding Ding, good guess! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #17
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:

I was cross shopping a Cayenne withe the X5 and every little thing was an added option. By the time I was done optioning out an equivalent Cayenne it was about $20k more than the X5. Couple that with terrible leasing, and I just couldn't stomach it. The Porsche badge is nice to have but I just couldn't justify spending that much more just for a badge.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations! Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy167.00
      02-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I was cross shopping a Cayenne withe the X5 and every little thing was an added option. By the time I was done optioning out an equivalent Cayenne it was about $20k more than the X5. Couple that with terrible leasing, and I just couldn't stomach it. The Porsche badge is nice to have but I just couldn't justify spending that much more just for a badge.
That 100% reflects my experience. All the Cayennes I saw around $70K were totally base cars, without "basic" options like comfort access. You have to minimally get the "premium" package there for $6K to get these stuff. By the time I was done with my Cayenne build I was looking at extra $12-15K, and that's without the third row that I got with my X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #20
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

@RVAGuy can you comment on your rear seats please. How's your wrinklegate situation. Is it acceptable ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #21
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
@RVAGuy can you comment on your rear seats please. How's your wrinklegate situation. Is it acceptable ?
I have been following the wrinkle gate saga for several months now so I was aware of its existence when I took delivery 1/30. In all honesty I didn't bother to check on wrinkles at delivery and their existence wasn't obvious or distracting. It wasn't until yesterday that I bothered to actually focus on the rear seats and noticed there were subtle wrinkles in both seats and to a lesser extent on the seat backs. Perhaps because ours are black merino that has a design in the middle anyway, I really don't notice them.

I understand several others on this forum are disappointed with their existence perhaps due to the impression the wrinkles are a sign of poor quality leather or instillation workmanship. In fact, I am coming to the conclusion the wrinkles are intentional due to their frequency and existence on the back but not front seats. As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue. I absolutely love everything about the vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ Those look good and reflect what probably 99+% of the seats look like. Unfortunately what appears to be far out of spec ones get through QA and that reflects poorly on BMW. We keep hoping that problem would be resolved but unfortunately after almost a year and a half of production that does not seem to be the case.
Appreciate 0