BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2024, 08:00 AM   #1
formerE36M3/4/5
Private
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab (the fun car)

How do i create route in phone app

I’m picking up my X5 at PCD the end of this month (so I don’t yet have the car), after pickup I’ll be driving to my sister’s place in NC. The direct route is highway with LOTS of construction and congestion so I’ll be taking a back-road route better suited for breaking in a new car. Is it possible to create the route on the iPhone app and transfer it to the car during pickup?
I’ve already created a bunch of my destinations (addresses and even renamed them) in the app but if possible I would like to set up my back roads route directly from the PCD address to my sister’s place ahead of time.
TIA
Assorted Porsche's over the last 20+ years
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 08:11 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerE36M3/4/5 View Post
I’m picking up my X5 at PCD the end of this month (so I don’t yet have the car), after pickup I’ll be driving to my sister’s place in NC. The direct route is highway with LOTS of construction and congestion so I’ll be taking a back-road route better suited for breaking in a new car. Is it possible to create the route on the iPhone app and transfer it to the car during pickup?
I’ve already created a bunch of my destinations (addresses and even renamed them) in the app but if possible I would like to set up my back roads route directly from the PCD address to my sister’s place ahead of time.
TIA
I don’t believe you can create the route on the app as meticulously as it sounds like you want to. you can only add stops along the preloaded route, so maybe that will ‘change’ the route along the lines of where you prefer to go
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 08:15 AM   #3
formerE36M3/4/5
Private
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab (the fun car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I don’t believe you can create the route on the app as meticulously as it sounds like you want to. you can only add stops along the preloaded route, so maybe that will ‘change’ the route along the lines of where you prefer to go
I think that could work as I would only need to add a city (destination) I would be going through to redirect my route. Now just need to figure out how to add the destination…..I don't want to input it road by road, just take me through on a secondary/southern route.
Assorted Porsche's over the last 20+ years

Last edited by formerE36M3/4/5; 03-11-2024 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerE36M3/4/5 View Post
I think that could work as I would only need to add a city (destination) I would be going through to redirect my route. Now just need to figure out how to add the destination…..I don't want to input it road by road, just take me through on a secondary/southern route.
BMW doesn't allow you to add road by road. I don't think it is possible to add a stop in the app but it could be as I have only sent destinations and created favorites.

When you are in the vehicle you can create a trip and put the stops in there or once you started navigation to your destination then you can add a stop.

I would probably tackle it by creating a favorite for your destination and one or more for your alternate route points. When you start out put your alternate route point as your destination and when you are close to that then kill that nav and choose either the next point or your destination.

Also keep in mind that the navigation usually offers alternate routes. You could start your navigation to your destination and then check the alternate routes to see of the get around the areas your want to avoid.