BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #23
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Yeah it definitely seems like an unusual amount of issues with this update versus previous. We won’t ever know the truth but I suspect BMW put tighter checks on ensuring battery charge state before beginning an upgrade but forgot about the fact their charging sucks balls and ultimately shot themselves in their OTA foot. I still haven’t gotten the notification there’s even an update available. I’m prob just going to grab my laptop and do the ISTA update to 11/2022 and call it done. I’d rather have some small control over the success of the update at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 06:34 PM   #24
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

My update screen is slightly different than what's been posted here. Mine says "The upgrade or activation will be automatically resumed shortly."

My guess is BMW is well aware of the issues with this update but is staying quiet about it. They won't be able to hide this under the table for much longer.

My dealer has already told me they are getting a slew of complaints about this update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 06:01 AM   #25
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

I contacted the Connected Drive team and got this email back:
"I can confirm the problem your having is a known issue within BMW. It's currently being looked into by our Technical Support Team, who are working towards fixing this. I've tagged your vehicle so our team are aware your vehicle has also been affected. Once the issue has been resolved, you'll be contacted.

In the meantime, please confirm if the following steps are being followed while trying to install the update.

Car key must be inside vehicle.
Selector lever must be in PARK
Parking brake must be applied
No device connected to OBD socket, for example insurance tracking devices
Exterior lighting must be off
Hazard warning lights must be off
vehicle parked on level ground)
Vehicle battery must be above 70%"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 01:43 PM   #26
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
"I can confirm the problem your having is a known issue within BMW. It's currently being looked into by our Technical Support Team, who are working towards fixing this. I've tagged your vehicle so our team are aware your vehicle has also been affected. Once the issue has been resolved, you'll be contacted.

In the meantime, please confirm if the following steps are being followed while trying to install the update.

At least we have a data point on the battery state of charge required. This should be trivial to check with BimmerLink or similar. Example from mine. Although the last replacement seems a bit suspect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #27
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post

Thanks for posting this. Of course, BMW isn't going to advertise the fact that their is an issue.

Please keep us posted on what BMW tells you plus how you wind up resolving the issue. We're finally getting some concrete data from actual owners that are experiencing issues with this update instead of being told that there are no issues with this update.

Your communication with BMW pretty much solidifies the fact that there are "KNOWN" issues with this update. This will help us all make an informed decision on how we want to deal with the current update. It's kind of looking like BMW is going to try and roll out a fix via OTA. At least we can hope that's what they will do.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ LOL Still trying to be correct, just give it up already. There are issues with the OTA update, there are no KNOWN issues with 07/2022.58.
      01-03-2023, 03:45 PM   #29
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
My update screen is slightly different than what's been posted here. Mine says "The upgrade or activation will be automatically resumed shortly."

My guess is BMW is well aware of the issues with this update but is staying quiet about it. They won't be able to hide this under the table for much longer.

My dealer has already told me they are getting a slew of complaints about this update.
So mine looks this now too. I’ve tried restarting iDrive. No help. I’ve given up on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #30
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
^ LOL Still trying to be correct, just give it up already. There are issues with the OTA update, there are no KNOWN issues with 07/2022.58.
Nice PLOY! So now it's semantics? Why can't you just apologize for your derogatory comment about dismissing anyone's comments/opinions, other than your own, on what the posters were told? It's really just about your attitude and "know it all" verbiage in your comments that people see in your posts.

Who was the one who said we should just ignore the Service advisors and Geniuses on not installing the very "UPDATE" that we are talking about here? Do you want me to quote it for you? Maybe the confusion is that you are trying to differentiate a problem with the update installing and a problem with the changes the update made to the vehicle. Either way, "A problem still exists with this update". Why do you seem to have a problem with that?

How about you just give it up already and admit that you are human and can make a mistake now and then by posting derogatory statements on a forum.

C'MON man, this is not the first time for you on similar incorrect interpretations of how features and functions work on BMW cars. I don't want to drag your other false and incorrect tirades here but you know very well what I'm talking about. Even Auricom had to jump in and set you straight but you still refused to admit that you were wrong.

Granted, my initial post was: I'll say it again, a re-post from another member who was told about issues with this update. But that still doesn't excuse your derogatory comments. My re-post was addressing another posters information from his SA/Geniuses who told him not to install the update due to issues. But you insisted on immediately dismissing that statement because you obviously have inside knowledge that none of us have. At least that's how you presented it. Additionally, it looks pretty clear to me that all of your "assumptions" were based on vehicles outside of the US.

One last thing, although I'm sure you will dismiss this as irrelevant as well because you personally know many people across the globe that haven't heard or experienced any of what this poster posted. Including BMW themselves!

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=25
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:41 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Nice PLOY! So now it's semantics? Why can't you just apologize for your derogatory comment about dismissing anyone's comments/opinions, other than your own, on what the posters were told? It's really just about your attitude and "know it all" verbiage in your comments that people see in your posts.

Who was the one who said we should just ignore the Service advisors and Geniuses on not installing the very "UPDATE" that we are talking about here? Do you want me to quote it for you? Maybe the confusion is that you are trying to differentiate a problem with the update installing and a problem with the changes the update made to the vehicle. Either way, "A problem still exists with this update". Why do you seem to have a problem with that?

How about you just give it up already and admit that you are human and can make a mistake now and then by posting derogatory statements on a forum.

C'MON man, this is not the first time for you on similar incorrect interpretations of how features and functions work on BMW cars. I don't want to drag your other false and incorrect tirades here but you know very well what I'm talking about. Even Auricom had to jump in and set you straight but you still refused to admit that you were wrong.

Granted, my initial post was: I'll say it again, a re-post from another member who was told about issues with this update. But that still doesn't excuse your derogatory comments. My re-post was addressing another posters information from his SA/Geniuses who told him not to install the update due to issues. But you insisted on immediately dismissing that statement because you obviously have inside knowledge that none of us have. At least that's how you presented it. Additionally, it looks pretty clear to me that all of your "assumptions" were based on vehicles outside of the US.

One last thing, although I'm sure you will dismiss this as irrelevant as well because you personally know many people across the globe that haven't heard or experienced any of what this poster posted. Including BMW themselves!

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=25
Semantics? No, it is called accuracy. My exact words "Genius can be ignored and your dealer likely also. This update has been in the field for quite awhile and there have been no known issues with AA or CP, or anything else, that we have seen posted."

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=69

I never said there weren't issues with the OTA process, that is well known. We were talking about 07/2022.58 since that was the version being distributed by the OTA update.

Please just stop, you're now going the route off changing positions/argument in order to try and look a little better. You passed on some bad information, it happens just forget about it. You said you were going to give up, just do it.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 01-03-2023 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 11:08 PM   #32
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Semantics? No, it is called accuracy. My exact words "Genius can be ignored and your dealer likely also." This update has been in the field for quite awhile and there have been no known issues with AA or CP, or anything else, that we have seen posted."

I never said there weren't issues with the OTA process, that is well known. We were talking about 07/2022.58 since that was the version being distributed by the OTA update.

Please just stop, you're now going the route off changing positions/argument in order to try and look a little better. You passed on some bad information, it happens just forget about it. You said you were going to give up, just do it.
Really? Seriously? How is my passing on a post from another forum member considered "bad information"? Perhaps "YOU" should be bad mouthing the original poster. Not me, since I was just passing on what he said. Show me where "I" passed on bad information. Please elaborate specifically, on what "bad" information I posted? I qutoed another forum member's post. Please provide specifics on "MY" bad information.

YOU are the one who is posting bad information. "Genius can be ignored and your dealer likely also." Yet, BMW themselves are already admitting that the latest update has issues.

Anyone who can search the BMW forum can see it for themselves. Just admit your faults and admit that your response to my post which quoted another forum members post was inappropriate and we will call it good.

I'll just say it here in case everyone else can't see it. "NARCISSISM". You just can't stand being wrong about anything. It's all about you and you being right. You believe that you are right about everything. It's evident all over in this forum. Don't question "TurtleBoy" because he can't be questioned. He's always right no matter what anyone else says. There are many posts by you that substantiate this fact.

Your intent is obvious. Your agenda is to justify everything you post with or without factual documentation or personal experience to justify your posts. You can't even make a convincing statement by posting your own posts!

I'll leave it here for others to decide who is passing on "bad information". I'm not the first one to call you to the carpet on many of your posts.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 06:18 AM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Never mind, I was always hoping there was a chance you were just very confused and wanted to have a mature, adult conversation about the updates. I see now that is not the case and you are not above lying and being a troll. I'd put you ignore but I'm sure in the future you will post other information that needs to be corrected.

You can gladly have the last comment if it makes your ego, self-esteem or feelings better but I'm not going to continue clogging up threads responding to your nonsense. Good luck and hopefully you get a chance to sit back and evaluate how you react to posts.
spidertri397.50
      01-11-2023, 06:26 PM   #34
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
Had the same issues with 07/2022.58 and ended up clearing codes with Carly, now it’s redownloading the update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:47 PM   #35
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3dkn View Post
Had the same issues with 07/2022.58 and ended up clearing codes with Carly, now it’s redownloading the update.
Keep us posted on whether or not you are able to install it after the car downloads it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 11:10 PM   #36
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Never mind, I was always hoping there was a chance you were just very confused and wanted to have a mature, adult conversation about the updates.
Yeah mitch57, why are you always posting your experiences rather than useful mature stuff like this:
Quote:
^ LOL Still trying to be correct, just give it up already.
Anyway, since everyone already knows I'm an immature scamp, here's what happened to me:

(1.) Today the android app be like, "bro, we gonna yeet a snatched 660MB at ur phone no cap"

(2.) MyBMW: "big yikes 22.58 turnt, phone gonna yeet it @ yo ride"

(3.) iDrive: "bro im shook, update here straight fire but u gotta chill for 30 b4 I can slay cuz u dont want that fomo!"

so I parked in the garage and 30 min later ...

(4.) iDrive: "im ur plug, and 22.58 gonna be dope, but you gotta roll up so I can diamond hands"

So I waited another 30 min, and when I went back the update said it was done installing but some of my preferences are hosed (as in the car beeps now for lock/unlock) so I'll mess with it tomorrow.
Appreciate 3
      01-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #37
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah mitch57, why are you always posting your experiences rather than useful mature stuff like this:

Anyway, since everyone already knows I'm an immature scamp, here's what happened to me:

(1.) Today the android app be like, "bro, we gonna yeet a snatched 660MB at ur phone no cap"

(2.) MyBMW: "big yikes 22.58 turnt, phone gonna yeet it @ yo ride"

(3.) iDrive: "bro im shook, update here straight fire but u gotta chill for 30 b4 I can slay cuz u dont want that fomo!"

so I parked in the garage and 30 min later ...

(4.) iDrive: "im ur plug, and 22.58 gonna be dope, but you gotta roll up so I can diamond hands"

So I waited another 30 min, and when I went back the update said it was done installing but some of my preferences are hosed (as in the car beeps now for lock/unlock) so I'll mess with it tomorrow.
Yeah. That's just how I roll. Posting my experiences with quotes and videos to back up my facts.

Incidentally, I hopped in my 2020 X7 this morning and got the message that 07/2022.58 is ready to install again instead of "The upgrade or activation will be automatically resumed shortly." message that's been there for over 3 weeks.

I haven't decided if I'm going to initiate the install or not. I figure I'll just wait and see what other issues, if any, you find after you fool around with it. Keep us posted please.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      01-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #38
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I hopped in my 2020 X7 this morning and got the message that 07/2022.58 is ready to install
This is exactly the message I got: it made me "ok" & confirm a few times, i.e., it's parked, a key is in the car, etc, then it said I could exit & lock the car, and then made a bunch of weird sounds (like in the engine bay area) and then seemed to wait.

The thing I didn't get is, it wanted to have a key in the car, but also told me to exit & lock the car.

So I did exit, lock, and then set the key on the wiper

After that it made some weird sounds in the engine bay area again, and I just went in the house since there's a smoke alarm in the garage.

Anyway, I went back 30ish min later, noted the ambient lighting was on but iDrive screen dark, and as soon as I grabbed the key from the wiper the iDrive screen lit up in white lettering only saying the install wasn't finished. Coincidence with moving the key?

So I unlocked the car - it beeped which I turned off a year ago - and opened the driver's door, and then the iDrive screen seemed to reboot and came back to the normal welcome screen. I shut the door & clicked lock just to see what would happen, got the beeps, and nothing seemed odd otherwise so I re-opened the car, more beeps, and navigated to the remote software update screen where it said the software had been installed and "online features" would be available during the next drive. I didn't have the mojo to feck with it so I just went back inside the house and watched Recruit on Netflix. Pretty good show BTW.

Anyway, this morning I left to run an errand and checked my settings and the beeps was the only one I spotted that seemed changed, but I didn't do a serious looksee. But everything seems fine so I'm gonna just assume it's all good now!

Overall I've noticed zero different things in the car or myBMW app other than the sound setting for the locked door. 650MB seems like a lot to notice nothing.

Maybe BMW coulda thrown in a new animation like they did for new years?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #39
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly the message I got: it made me "ok" & confirm a few times, i.e., it's parked, a key is in the car, etc, then it said I could exit & lock the car, and then made a bunch of weird sounds (like in the engine bay area) and then seemed to wait.

The thing I didn't get is, it wanted to have a key in the car, but also told me to exit & lock the car.

So I did exit, lock, and then set the key on the wiper

After that it made some weird sounds in the engine bay area again, and I just went in the house since there's a smoke alarm in the garage.

Anyway, I went back 30ish min later, noted the ambient lighting was on but iDrive screen dark, and as soon as I grabbed the key from the wiper the iDrive screen lit up in white lettering only saying the install wasn't finished. Coincidence with moving the key?

So I unlocked the car - it beeped which I turned off a year ago - and opened the driver's door, and then the iDrive screen seemed to reboot and came back to the normal welcome screen. I shut the door & clicked lock just to see what would happen, got the beeps, and nothing seemed odd otherwise so I re-opened the car, more beeps, and navigated to the remote software update screen where it said the software had been installed and "online features" would be available during the next drive. I didn't have the mojo to feck with it so I just went back inside the house and watched Recruit on Netflix. Pretty good show BTW.

Anyway, this morning I left to run an errand and checked my settings and the beeps was the only one I spotted that seemed changed, but I didn't do a serious looksee. But everything seems fine so I'm gonna just assume it's all good now!

Overall I've noticed zero different things in the car or myBMW app other than the sound setting for the locked door. 650MB seems like a lot to notice nothing.

Maybe BMW coulda thrown in a new animation like they did for new years?
Remote start will almost certainly have been disabled as well. You'll have to go click the box for Precondition or whatever they are calling it.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      01-12-2023, 04:49 PM   #40
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
Remote start will almost certainly have been disabled as well. You'll have to go click the box for Precondition or whatever they are calling it.
Good tip! You're right!

BTW, I also noticed that auto-stop/start was back on, though it seems to be back to defaulting to off since I shut if off.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 08:54 PM   #41
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good tip! You're right!

BTW, I also noticed that auto-stop/start was back on, though it seems to be back to defaulting to off since I shut if off.
Did you lose your saved seat settings or your programmable memory buttons? I think a couple of other people posted that they lost both of those settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 10:45 PM   #42
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you lose your saved seat settings or your programmable memory buttons? I think a couple of other people posted that they lost both of those settings.
No, looks like the only changes (I've noticed) are:
  • Auto Start/Stop turned On
  • Lock/Unlock Sound turned On
  • Ventilation Remote Start turned Off
  • Passenger Seat Adj Popup turned On
  • Drive & Passenger climate control temp set to 72

Last edited by GrussGott; 01-14-2023 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:59 AM   #43
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
Same problem here. New to me 2019 X5 40i and there does not appear to have been many OTA updates on this car since it is running 11/2020.50. I downloaded 07/2021.85 to my phone and it was successfully uploaded to the car over wifi. The myBMW app says it has uploaded to the car and I should follow the instructions on the screen but here is where i am stuck. iDrive says it will notify me when I can install the update but it has been 4-5 days with plenty of driving and no progress. I have not even been able to progress to the checkmark page
I got this same message yesterday after downloading everything while driving around town. Nothing I did got rid of that morning.
This morning I started with a quick errand and then a message popped up that the installation would start maybe 30 minutes later after the engine is cool.
I will see what happens once I return home later today.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 03:16 PM   #44
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I got this same message yesterday after downloading everything while driving around town. Nothing I did got rid of that morning.
This morning I started with a quick errand and then a message popped up that the installation would start maybe 30 minutes later after the engine is cool.
I will see what happens once I return home later today.
Seems like M vehicles do require a 30 minute cool down.
Mine did.
Appreciate 0