BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-26-2024, 10:59 AM   #1
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Turning off the engine sounds and other questions.

I've searched through this section and the coding section but not finding anything on: Turning off the fake engine sounds.

I'm thinking about picking up a 24 X5M and the engine sound is way overcooked for this old man, I don't mind loud, I hate the clearly fake nature of it.

I want to know if this can be coded out.

I believe I can turn on the matrix function of the headlights and keep the highs on with anti-glare or whatever it's called with BMW. Can I get a confirmation or denial?

Start/stop: I'm unclear if this can be disabled or not. Some posts indicate no, some yes.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:10 AM   #2
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I've searched through this section and the coding section but not finding anything on: Turning off the fake engine sounds.

I'm thinking about picking up a 24 X5M and the engine sound is way overcooked for this old man, I don't mind loud, I hate the clearly fake nature of it.

I want to know if this can be coded out.

I believe I can turn on the matrix function of the headlights and keep the highs on with anti-glare or whatever it's called with BMW. Can I get a confirmation or denial?

Start/stop: I'm unclear if this can be disabled or not. Some posts indicate no, some yes.

TIA
Coding is not possible on a 24 as far as I know, most of the module are locked. I have a 24 as well. If you do find otherwise will let me know.
      03-26-2024, 12:24 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
as mentioned, modules are locked from coding in 2024+ models. I don’t know what the menu items look like for that model, but hopefully someone can chime whether or not they can be disabled
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Quote:
I

TIA
Congrats on the new X5M!

Start/Stop: By default, meaning EVERY TIME you start the car, the auto start/stop will be enabled (car shuts off when stopping). Unlike every other M car I have owned/driven, that setting cannot be changed and cannot be remembered between shutting the car off and starting it again.

To turn off, you have 2 options: Press the button in the console OR use one of the M1/M2 button to set that to off. A little annoying but you get used to it.

Here is my daily procedure for the last 10 months: Start the car and start driving. Depending on my destination leave the start/stop on until the car is warm, then press M1 (Sport/ D2, etc) which has the start/stop disabled. Otherwise, first stop light 200 yards from garage, car turn off, mumble some profanities at BMW and press the console button.
Bottom line you'll get used to it and as smooth as it is, I absolutely hate it, find it pointless. There's nothing more stupid than stopping at a red light, seeing the guy next to you admire an otherwise perfect performance SUV only to have it shut off and be like any other grocery getter out there.
      03-26-2024, 07:25 PM   #5
crabman
Captain
Rep

I don't get used to start/stop; them there is fighting words!

Edit, I meant to stick a smilie in there...

Last edited by crabman; 03-26-2024 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: emoticon fail
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:04 PM   #6
Bimmersurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: X6MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Congrats on the new X5M!

Start/Stop: By default, meaning EVERY TIME you start the car, the auto start/stop will be enabled (car shuts off when stopping). Unlike every other M car I have owned/driven, that setting cannot be changed and cannot be remembered between shutting the car off and starting it again.

To turn off, you have 2 options: Press the button in the console OR use one of the M1/M2 button to set that to off. A little annoying but you get used to it.

Here is my daily procedure for the last 10 months: Start the car and start driving. Depending on my destination leave the start/stop on until the car is warm, then press M1 (Sport/ D2, etc) which has the start/stop disabled. Otherwise, first stop light 200 yards from garage, car turn off, mumble some profanities at BMW and press the console button.
Bottom line you'll get used to it and as smooth as it is, I absolutely hate it, find it pointless. There's nothing more stupid than stopping at a red light, seeing the guy next to you admire an otherwise perfect performance SUV only to have it shut off and be like any other grocery getter out there.
on my 22 XMC the start stop was pressed once and stayed off since the day i picked up the car. not sure when that would have changed but i know it is really annoying when its on.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:26 PM   #7
crabman
Captain
Rep

Not anymore, it's every start now. The switch is right next to the start so it's easy enough to hit one and then the other but I'd like to disable it once and for all.

Anyone know if some smart person is working on this and the status of that work? I've found one post stating that the software can be pulled, edited and pushed back, something about editing an FA and SVT, whatever those are; but I haven't been able to follow it through to pay dirt.

Yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:08 AM   #8
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersurfer View Post
on my 22 XMC the start stop was pressed once and stayed off since the day i picked up the car. not sure when that would have changed but i know it is really annoying when its on.
Yes the pre-LCI was like all other M cars, remembered the last setting which meant you could turn off on day 1 and never had to be changed again.
The LCI with the Hybrid system does not. Thanks BMW. I like the faster gear changes but this would have been nice too.
Quote:
Not anymore, it's every start now. The switch is right next to the start so it's easy enough to hit one and then the other but I'd like to disable it once and for all.

Anyone know if some smart person is working on this and the status of that work? I've found one post stating that the software can be pulled, edited and pushed back, something about editing an FA and SVT, whatever those are; but I haven't been able to follow it through to pay dirt.
You sir are much braver than me. I’d be too paranoid to code the car just to test this one out. I can live with it.

The best way to cope with it is that the unfortunate souls that bought an M60i will never be able to turn it off. Even in sport mode from what I can recall (LCI that is). Not bashing anyone that did (had one on order myself) just trying to justify my frustration knowing it could be worse.
      03-27-2024, 11:08 AM   #9
crabman
Captain
Rep

I've actually pursed a MM action all the way to a courtroom. The various things you learn there are really for a different thread, but it's enough here to note that they can't just void your warranty in total unless your car meets very specific criteria that is spelled out in law.

Odo tampering, salvage title, modified so significantly as to change it from it's original intended purpose to a different purpose, a couple more. There aren't many of them, and most cars do not see a warranty voided in total.

What you do see is a denial of coverage on a case by case basis, or if you have a power adder(s) in the mix, a voiding of your powertrain warranty.

So on one side it's not as bad as some make out, but the other is darker. All that crap about they have to prove a part caused a failure or they can't deny a coverage is just that, crap.

When the dealer denies you warranty coverage it will usually come after a flagged part or repair is inspected by a rep and that guy/gal doesn't sell cars, they guard the gates. Once they deny you have to hope your dealer is willing to come out of pocket for the labor and parts and most of us won't be that good a customer. Or you can stay broke down. Or come out of pocket until the end of a long process many will wish they never started. But what's for certain is spouting Moss/Mag, jumping up and down, yelling, does nothing.

Thats the dark side of the equation but it's not so scary when you put it in context. No one is going to argue over fixing a hinky power mirror, for example. In nearly all cases a simple change like disabling start stop or making it remember last isn't going to come up at all.

So that's the short version; I'm not brave, and I'm not advocating anyone do anything of the sort. Having been there, it's not so bad if you're in the right and willing to accept that some hassle may stand between you and your warranty coverage in some instances.
Appreciate 0