BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
jukedogg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M

2020ish X5M Builds

I placed an order on January 2nd for a X5M, after getting pricing from two dealers in December 2019. I was told the car would be ready by late April or early May, pre-corona. My dealer has absolutely zero information. I don't know if and/or when BMW is going to build the X5M I ordered.

Has anyone received information from their dealer about when your X5M order is expected to be built and delivered? This is a crazy time, so I'm being as patient as possible, but I don't understand why the Spartanburg plant can't communicate with dealers....or maybe they do communicate and my dealer doesn't want to tell me they won't have the car for another 6 months.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Your dealer might not have an allocation.

I ordered my X5M in March. It was supposed to be a May build, but got pushed back to June production due to COVID-19.
      05-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
jukedogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Your dealer might not have an allocation.

I ordered my X5M in March. It was supposed to be a May build, but got pushed back to June production due to COVID-19.
Just got a reply from the dealer and they did say they got the allocation a few months ago, which is nice to know, but that's all they know for sure. At 100% capacity it was going to take 6 weeks from the factory acknowledging the order and committing to the build. So at 33% capacity it will probably take a minimum of 18 weeks, which puts these getting on the roads late September/October by my guess. There may not be any more 2020 X5M's other than the few that are already out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

I got an allocation from my dealer in mid-February for a week14 build, but obviously that didn’t happen. My build date got pushed back to late June, but then got moved up to the end of May (as of two weeks ago), delivery early June. I’ll be a little surprised if that actually happens.

I could be wrong, but if your dealer has an allocation for you, they should have a production number they can give you so you can follow the timeline of the production process on MyBMW.com. However, I’ve noticed that website isn’t always accurate.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Did they resume production?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
Did they resume production?
Yes, on May 4th, but I believe their capacity is not near 100% yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
South Carolina Starting To Re-Open Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG5 View Post
Yes, I called the plant yesterday with my production number, and they stated "they only have the day shift working." On May 26 they will start both shifts night and day.

I check my status on MyBMW.com and my Car is schedule for production in June. I was told expect 2 months after production start, so I can expect the car around Late Aug or early Sept. He also, stated they will start with all 2020 build first, and after Aug will be a 2021 build. I asked are there any changes in the two models he said yes, small cosmetic. I asked what are they, he said I don't have my list.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
jukedogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG5 View Post
Yes, I called the plant yesterday with my production number, and they stated "they only have the day shift working." On May 26 they will start both shifts night and day.

I check my status on MyBMW.com and my Car is schedule for production in June. I was told expect 2 months after production start, so I can expect the car around Late Aug or early Sept. He also, stated they will start with all 2020 build first, and after Aug will be a 2021 build. I asked are there any changes in the two models he said yes, small cosmetic. I asked what are they, he said I don't have my list.
It is great to hear that all 3 shifts get to go back to work on 5/26! My dealer told me that "all production numbers are being reassigned due to the allocations all being re-done because of plant shutdowns. As soon as we have the new production code, we'll send it to you so you can track the build"

I think I'll be getting the 2021, not sure how they could improve cosmetics, they hit a home run already, but I'd love to see how BMW makes the X5M even better.

Word.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post

Interesting. I would really like to know exactly what “small cosmetic” changes are planned for 2021. It also sounds like the timing of the model year transition to 2021 isn’t all that delayed from COVID, if at all.

I just exchanged some emails with my SA today apparently my production week now sits at week 24. He said BMW bounced around the production weeks several times recently. Until production on my car actually starts, I don’t have any confidence in the timing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

i highly doubt the 21's will have any cosmetic changes especially for the X5M's that just started going into production. I also haven't seen any solid evidence that even the normal X5's will have any changes.

When I email bmw genius they've been telling me i'm scheduled for June 1st build. My dealer is telling me June 24th build.

Now today bmw genius says its June 8th build.

I am at the point where i don't even care if i get the car or not.... If it comes it comes and if the numbers aren't favorable then i'll walk. My sales guy tells me since i locked in the March rates I am good for that whenever the car shows up given the covid situation but typically the rate lock is only for 60-90 days which I will surpass.
      05-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
i highly doubt the 21's will have any cosmetic changes especially for the X5M's that just started going into production. I also haven't seen any solid evidence that even the normal X5's will have any changes.

When I email bmw genius they've been telling me i'm scheduled for June 1st build. My dealer is telling me June 24th build.

Now today bmw genius says its June 8th build.

I am at the point where i don't even care if i get the car or not.... If it comes it comes and if the numbers aren't favorable then i'll walk. My sales guy tells me since i locked in the March rates I am good for that whenever the car shows up given the covid situation but typically the rate lock is only for 60-90 days which I will surpass.
Yes, i was told the 0.9% APR may not be available in Aug or Sept. I tried to lock in that rate and was told only 60 days?

So Alan, are you getting a white X5M Comp? They have one in Atlanta, with black and tan insert seats with driver package listed at $126K I don't like the interior or wheels, but was offer this 2020 X5M for $115K, Talk to Nathan Redford if anyone is interested. The pictures are on AutoTrader, if you don't want to wait on your build? I'm looking for orange interior and 818M wheels.

Appreciate 0