BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2023, 10:03 AM   #1
DanATL
Private
Rep
Drives: '89 635CSi, '16 M235i, '23 X5

AdaptiveM Suspension from ConnectedDrive store

I noticed that the ConnectedDrive store has an AdaptiveM suspension software upgrade for $500 for my 2023 X5 S40i. This was a pleasant surprise since I feel the car is generally too squishy riding/handling and the Sport and Sport+ settings don't allow suspension adjustments just steering, throttle, brake, and shifts. I had no idea the HW was in the car and just needed to be activated. I know it comes with the M sport package but I did not want that due to the big wheels.

If AdaptiveM was an option on the order form or was showing as a Monroney label line item on an in stock car then I would have happily paid it. But now that I know it's just SW I want a 30day trial. So questions are 1) is a trial possible and 2) anyone do the SW upgrade and how adaptive is the AdaptiveM?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 11:04 PM   #2
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
I purchaed iconsound, it got activated a day later. Then on December 12 I also purchased adaptive m, never got activated. Bmw assist opened a ticket, no resolution in over a month. Today they emailed me saying they'll be refunding the purchase. Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 1
DanATL42.50
      02-02-2023, 08:10 PM   #3
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Very interesting - looking forward to seeing what you guys find out
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATL View Post
I noticed that the ConnectedDrive store has an AdaptiveM suspension software upgrade for $500 for my 2023 X5 S40i. This was a pleasant surprise since I feel the car is generally too squishy riding/handling and the Sport and Sport+ settings don't allow suspension adjustments just steering, throttle, brake, and shifts. I had no idea the HW was in the car and just needed to be activated. I know it comes with the M sport package but I did not want that due to the big wheels.

If AdaptiveM was an option on the order form or was showing as a Monroney label line item on an in stock car then I would have happily paid it. But now that I know it's just SW I want a 30day trial. So questions are 1) is a trial possible and 2) anyone do the SW upgrade and how adaptive is the AdaptiveM?

I'm thinking when it comes to "bigger" changes like this, a trial isn't feasible until there's new base-level iDrive version. I.e., remote engine start is built in already. It's an on/off by enablement-code, based on if it was pre-purchased or later added to via the CD store, but either way, iDrive already knows that's an "on/off" feature.

Iconic sound and M-Sport adaptive, however, require an iDrive software update to enable the function. Those options don't [or didn't] exist for anything but M-Sport models initially, so for your non-M-Sport, there is no "on/off" logic in the software.

For your 30-day trial to work, you'd have to download and upgrade the vehicle software. Then after 30 days, download and upgrade to turn it off if you don't want to buy it. I assume that's why you don't get a trial of it; that approach is far too clunky.

I purchased it and I feel in sport mode the response is firmer and feels a bit tighter overall.
      02-14-2023, 07:25 PM   #5
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

There's no difference in software between M-Sport or non. The features are all enabled via coding and licensing (FSC), whether factory installed or OTA.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 09:21 AM   #6
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
There's no difference in software between M-Sport or non. The features are all enabled via coding and licensing (FSC), whether factory installed or OTA.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but drive recorder, traffic camera, remote start do *not* require a software download & update? Perhaps m susp etc. it is in the code but it’s not enabled for that vehicle in the software (vs being enabled in software but not FSC activated?), thus the more robust install experience?
      02-15-2023, 01:58 PM   #7
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but drive recorder, traffic camera, remote start do *not* require a software download & update? Perhaps m susp etc. it is in the code but it’s not enabled for that vehicle in the software (vs being enabled in software but not FSC activated?), thus the more robust install experience?
Right. BMW's just making it easier to obtain options that were not chosen at time of purchase but the HW already exists. Some features do require specific hardware of course and there's no way to turn on something that doesn't exist, by BMW or otherwise. The M Drivers Package is an example of something that's already in the software but needs to be enabled and licensed. Hopefully that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
timmahh480.00
      03-04-2023, 03:30 PM   #8
Mcc514
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i G05

Does anyone know if I enable the adaptive suspension through the my connected drive suspension I will have any issues due to me running a flash tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #9
RoxieDB
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 X40i

Just bought and downloaded it last night and it makes a huge diff with the handling in Sport, Sport Plus and Comfort is noticeably smoother. No issues with download and install except I forgot that I needed to turn off the engine for the install to start. From purchase to I stall was 20 minutes including my user error
Appreciate 0