BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
EV77
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Anyone else experience this? Spots on wind screen.

Hi everyone. I don't know if you have experienced this but last week I took my car for a hand washing and when I went to pick it up it was sitting under the sun. At that moment I havent notice anything but next morning when the sun hit directly the windshield i noticed some spots on the whole of the glass (maybe water spots or something else). I haven't paid much attention and i thought is something that can be easily removed. So today, after six days of washing the car I tried to clean the glass with home glass cleaner. For my supprise the spots were still there. I tried mixing white Vinegar with water but still nothing. I am very disappointed as it seams to be something permanent embed in the glass. I called the guy who is in charged in the car wash and told me, maybe it was wax who they didnt see it and dried at the sun. He told me to take it back there and he can remove it. However I am not sure if he can make it. Maybe there are some specific products that can remove this. My car is ceramic coated so i can't understand the use of wax after washing it. It's so frustrating. Anyone else experience this and in your opinion is it something that can be removed?
Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by EV77; 10-19-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV77 View Post
Hi everyone. I don't know if you have experienced this but last week I took my car for a hand washing and when I went to pick it up it was sitting under the sun. At that moment I havent notice anything but next morning when the sun hit directly the windshield i noticed some spots on the whole of the glass (maybe water spots or something else). I haven't paid much attention and i thought is something that can be easily removed. So today, after six days of washing the car I tried to clean the glass with home glass cleaner. For my supprise the spots were still there. I tried mixing white Vinegar with water but still nothing. I am very disappointed as it seams to be something permanent embed in the glass. I called the guy who is in charged in the car wash and told me, maybe it was wax who they didnt see it and dried at the sun. He told me to take it back there and he can remove it. However I am not sure if he can make it. Maybe there are some specific products that can remove this. My car is ceramic coated so i can't understand the use of wax after washing it. It's so frustrating. Anyone else experience this and in your opinion is it something that can be removed?
Maybe some pics??

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
docklevi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i, 2020 440i conv

In my own experience, spots left after washing your car, be it on the windshield or paint, is due to the residual chemicals in the water. I use a water filter/deionizer when rinsing my car off and have no spotting on the car. To remove those spots on the windshield, you can to try a windshield polish and follow the instructions carefully. I have used Griots Garage Fine Glass polish with great success in the past. Hope this helps you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

waterspots disaster

I just had this happen to me the other day. See the photo..it was taken after 2 extra attempts to re-wash the glass. I washed it outside in the sun and I guess I didn't get in inside the garage soon enough to dry it. Too busy learning how to use the new pressure washer and foam cannon lol.

Later that day, when I backed it out of the garage, I saw the disaster I had. Hard water spots on all the glass...I was freaking out. I recently got it back from getting Xpel PPF and ceramic on it too. I thought I was going to have to take it back to the shop for them to fix it for me. Last resort, we tried white vinegar on a rag and that got the spots off. Had to go over it a couple of times and then re-clean them with the glass cleaner.
Attached Images

'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV77 View Post
If ou are from Cyprus, its plain and simple limestone from water.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
This product took care of 90% of my issue on the first application. A second application made it hard to notice any hard water stains.

https://www.amazon.com/Bio-Clean-Pro.../dp/B01M7T3D99
Appreciate 0