BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

CarPlay options - wireless or wired

Hi all. My X5 is in the paint booth so should have it fairly soon!

Had a question about CarPlay. I know there is the option for wireless CarPlay using the wireless charging pad.

I’m curious if you can plug an iPhone in via usb and use CarPlay and charging via that setup or only through wireless. Couldn’t really find anything that specified this. Also, are there specific USB ports that would be the only ones to connect to I-drive with this option vs charging only?

I will try the wireless charging first but just planning ahead for the reported heat issues and also saw some folks reporting issues with the wireless CarPlay dropping on occasion.

Would love to hear about anyone’s experiences with the above or if recent updates solved the connectivity issues.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

The iPhone will connect wirelessly without using the charging pad, as far as I know BMW is the only manufacturer that has wireless Apple CarPlay too. I haven’t had any heat issues with my iPhone 11 Pro Max but the longest I’ve had it on the charger is ~90 minutes, I do use wireless charging 95% of the time at home though without issue.

I only use wired charging for the occasional Apple Watch charge, other wise the wire mess is distracting.

Hope this helps — Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      01-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
Kripster
Techie
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
Hi all. My X5 is in the paint booth so should have it fairly soon!

Had a question about CarPlay. I know there is the option for wireless CarPlay using the wireless charging pad.

I'm curious if you can plug an iPhone in via usb and use CarPlay and charging via that setup or only through wireless. Couldn't really find anything that specified this. Also, are there specific USB ports that would be the only ones to connect to I-drive with this option vs charging only?

I will try the wireless charging first but just planning ahead for the reported heat issues and also saw some folks reporting issues with the wireless CarPlay dropping on occasion.

Would love to hear about anyone's experiences with the above or if recent updates solved the connectivity issues.

Thanks in advance!
You can plug in and continue to use CarPlay though I'm not sure if that's considered wired or wireless CarPlay at that point. I had no overheating issues with iPhone 11 Pro but do with iPhone 12 Mini (when using Waze).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
HouseMD
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

I had my iPhone 8 in the wireless charger for almost all of a 6 hr trip. The phone was warm but no issues. I have the phone in a thin case.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone - much appreciated!
Kripster I think your thread about Waze was got me thinking about the heat issues - I have an iPhone 12 Pro.

Also was curious if the audio quality was any different between wired and wireless. I upgraded to the B&W system but typically listen to Apple Music, etc so I know I won’t be using the system to it’s fullest either way.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #6
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Carplay connects via the cars built in wifi. It does not use bluetooth or wired connection. If you connect a wire, you are doing that strictly for charging purposes.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Also was curious if the audio quality was any different between wired and wireless. I upgraded to the B&W system but typically listen to Apple Music, etc so I know I won’t be using the system to it’s fullest either way.
Wireless Carplay uses Wifi and quality is same as wired.
For Apple Music, if data usage is not a concern, remember to turn on high quality streaming (default is off):
Settings -> Music -> Cellular Data -> High Quality Streaming - toggle ON.
Appreciate 2
jg05303.50
adamcb9.00
      01-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Carplay connects via the cars built in wifi. It does not use bluetooth or wired connection. If you connect a wire, you are doing that strictly for charging purposes.
That’s what I thought. Super helpful, thanks for confirming!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
For Apple Music, if data usage is not a concern, remember to turn on high quality streaming (default is off):
Great reminder, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Kripster
Techie
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great reminder, thanks!!
I use Tidal Hifi which provides CD-quality 1411 kbps FLAC (lossless). Thought I'd go whole hog for the B&W and give it the best input available.
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      01-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
Kripster
Techie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Great reminder, thanks!!
I use Tidal Hifi which provides CD-quality 1411 kbps FLAC (lossless). Thought I'd go whole hog for the B&W and give it the best input available.
Just to add to that if you really want to benefit from FLAC you need to play music from USB or transfer to car's hard disk. I haven't done that but just might now!
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      01-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I am all in on the Apple ecosystem unfortunately and use family sharing so kinda stuck with it. Like I said, between that and satellite, won’t really be using the B&W to its fullest.

I have looked but haven’t been able to find anything specific to the B&W but there are some car audio systems that can supposedly ‘simulate’ a lower compression ratio. Mixed results from what I’ve heard but haven’t seen anything on that for the B&W.

It’s not like you can actually uncompress or add data to compressed audio but the algorithms used in some of those systems are supposedly pretty good at the simulation of doing that?? Have no personal experience though.

And I haven’t purchased music from anywhere but Apple in years and ripped all of my old CDs into iTunes years ago as well. Probably never going to go back and do that again to put on a usb stick.

Thanks again!

Last edited by jg05; 01-17-2021 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #13
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
By the way, don't forget to turn off 'Low data mode' on iPhone settings. Thank me later ha ha ..
Attached Images

01-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #14
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Quote:
Just to add to that if you really want to benefit from FLAC you need to play music from USB or transfer to car's hard disk. I haven't done that but just might now!
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe 2021 no longer has a hard disk where you can transfer songs to its internal HDD like previous MYs.
      01-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #15
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
Quote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe 2021 no longer has a hard disk where you can transfer songs to its internal HDD like previous MYs.
No HDD on 2021.
      01-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
By the way, don't forget to turn off 'Low data mode' on iPhone settings. Thank me later ha ha ..
Does that affect sound quality in some way? Thought it just did what the description says - would be interested in hearing if it impacts other things as well.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #17
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
The default is OFF, so you should not need to adjust it unless you have turned it ON yourself previously.

And yes, if this option is turned on, high quality music streaming will stop (at least for those apps which use this setting).

The options for 5G network is slightly different. Instead of a Low Data Mode toggle, you can select one out of three options: "Allow more data on 5G", "Standard" or "Low Data Mode".
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #18
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
The default is OFF, so you should not need to adjust it unless you have turned it ON yourself previously.
Don't recall changing the setting myself; however, this option needs to be off regardless of iPhone models, iOS versions, carrier settings you may have. Without this being turned off wireless AirPlay doesn't work well for many.
      01-19-2021, 11:47 PM   #19
f30_Vincent
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
as far as I know BMW is the only manufacturer that has wireless Apple CarPlay
'20 Chevrolet Camaro has wireless CarPlay so this isn't unique to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #20
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Picked up my car today. Drove it about 25 mins from the dealership to home with Waze running on CarPlay and wireless charging. Phone heated WAY up and the iPhone screen displayed the ‘phone must cool down’ warning. Grrr

B&W sounded pretty good with CarPlay, even with the compressed music. Wasn’t ‘knock your socks off’ impressive but it sounded pretty good. More happy I upgraded for the cool speaker lights
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #21
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Picked up my car today. Drove it about 25 mins from the dealership to home with Waze running on CarPlay and wireless charging. Phone heated WAY up and the iPhone screen displayed the ‘phone must cool down’ warning. Grrr

B&W sounded pretty good with CarPlay, even with the compressed music. Wasn’t ‘knock your socks off’ impressive but it sounded pretty good. More happy I upgraded for the cool speaker lights

Did you have the console door open and the phone display turned off?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #22
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Did you have the console door open and the phone display turned off?
Yes and yes. I only have the Apple MagSafe case on the phone, not a thick case or anything like that either.

Just runnin’ hot and charging hot. Need to get this figured out as I can see a huge deterioration in battery life if this is the norm. I could almost fry an egg on my phone it was so hot.
Appreciate 0