BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
Chilipalmer
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

Which Charging Point for UK 45e

Took delivery of my 45e last week and currently charging from a 3-pin plug in the garage at home. And of course it is so slow. I am thinking of the Pulsar Plus from wallbox or the Ohme wall charger, both at about £600 installation included but wanted to see what other UK 45e owners have installed, are there others that I should consider?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipalmer View Post
Took delivery of my 45e last week and currently charging from a 3-pin plug in the garage at home. And of course it is so slow. I am thinking of the Pulsar Plus from wallbox or the Ohme wall charger, both at about £600 installation included but wanted to see what other UK 45e owners have installed, are there others that I should consider?
Hi

I've stuck with the three pin. I had an external Power point fitted running directly from the fuse box and on a heavy duty cable. It charges at 10A and 2.3kw per hour. As I am charging overnight there was no real speed benefit to paying £600 to reduce charging time by a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
45e X5
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipalmer View Post
I have the EO I love how small it is. https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-pro-2
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      01-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The vehicle has a maximum input of 16A, while the included device is a 10A one. SO, yes, you can increase the charging rate, but don't 'need' anything bigger than 16A at your 220vac input Power = volts * amps, so 220*16= 3520W, still not quite the maximum the vehicle can accept, but if your voltage truly is 220vac, that's it. To max it out at 16A, you'd need 3700/16=231.25vac coming in. A higher amperage unit won't help, but would be good for future proofing as many vehicles will benefit from a higher rate. All vehicles limit their charging based on what the EVSE says in amps, and never tries to pull more than that, and on the X5, that's 16. In my case, I have about 247vac coming in normally, so a 16A device would max mine out, but I have a 30A unit I installed for my i3 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 02:42 AM   #5
En70
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d mercedes E220 Bmw X3

I've got the pulsar plus, looks great[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e M Sport (ordered)

I got the non-tethered BP Chargemaster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
JonnyDangerous
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkiokbye View Post
Hi

I've stuck with the three pin. I had an external Power point fitted running directly from the fuse box and on a heavy duty cable. It charges at 10A and 2.3kw per hour. As I am charging overnight there was no real speed benefit to paying £600 to reduce charging time by a few hours.
same as me. Biggest frustration with the 45e is the slow charge rate. If it was faster i would definitely get a wall box but there's so little benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDangerous View Post
Quote:
Hi

same as me. Biggest frustration with the 45e is the slow charge rate. If it was faster i would definitely get a wall box but there's so little benefit.
Agreed. 7 hours compared to about 10 hours on an overnight didn't seem worth it for me. But appreciate everyone's needs are different.

I have solar panels so am looking forward to the sunshine months in the Uk to really exploit the free energy 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e M Sport (ordered)

Quote:
Agreed. 7 hours compared to about 10 hours on an overnight didn't seem worth it for me. But appreciate everyone's needs are different.
This is a good point.

I had originally ordered an i3 as a commuter car back in January but the week it was supposed to be delivered we went into the first lockdown. That’s when I cancelled the i3 and later on ordered the 45e. But I’d already got the BP Chargemaster installed.

Ironically, it cost £800 but I got the £500 grant from the UK government (not sure if they still do that) and then a further £300 from the Scottish Energy Saving Trust making it zero cost to me.

And you’re bang on about 7 hours - that’s how long it’s taken mine from a complete empty starting point.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #10
PAULX545E
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Similar for me except it was down from £500 to £350 government grant when I did mines and then the £300 from the energy saving trust in Scotland as a rebate once installed -not far off for free.

Granted it's not massively faster than 10A via the 3 pin but I found the plug / socket heating up (in my garage when I used the 3 pin) and out of concern of fire risk I reduced the charge amps on the car settings.

I'm mostly on an overnight charge but often out a few times at weekend or back out in evening after tea time - so a couple of hours with a type2/ 16A charge has been beneficial
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
Oddkid
Rep
Drives: X3, X5 45e

Quote:
Granted it's not massively faster than 10A via the 3 pin but I found the plug / socket heating up (in my garage when I used the 3 pin) and out of concern of fire risk I reduced the charge amps on the car settings.
First time poster here, hopefully getting my 45e in a few weeks when its battery has been sorted out. I've been looking into charging and I'm curious to know what you reduced the charge amps to in the car? Out of interest, did the 3 pin plug charger cable come with the car or did it come with the type 2? Wondering what to expect! And hope this is 'on topic'...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The only reason a plug would become hot when the wiring is correct, would be if the socket is wearing out, and the connection is loose.

There's a menu in the vehicle that can set the charging rate from maximum down to 6A (6-16A range). The only reason to lower it is to protect what it is plugged into, not the vehicle.

The X5 comes with a level 1 or level 2 device depending on the local normal power (120vac level one in places where that power is normal and 240vac level 2 devices elsewhere). For better or worse, it's a 10A device to allow it to easily be plugged in by nearly anyone, anywhere. To minimize the time to recharge, you want a level 2 device that can provide at least 16A, and for futureproofing, I'd put in a larger one. The two devices have a protocol, so the vehicle won't try to pull more power than it tells the vehicle it has, so a larger one will work just fine. And, if the device is larger, just like a 10W light bulb can be plugged into a circuit that can provide more, it works just fine.

A 10A level 2 device can recharge the X5 overnight...a level 1, unless the battery isn't very discharged, cannot.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #13
Oddkid
Rep
Drives: X3, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The only reason a plug would become hot when the wiring is correct, would be if the socket is wearing out, and the connection is loose.

There's a menu in the vehicle that can set the charging rate from maximum down to 6A (6-16A range). The only reason to lower it is to protect what it is plugged into, not the vehicle.

The X5 comes with a level 1 or level 2 device depending on the local normal power (120vac level one in places where that power is normal and 240vac level 2 devices elsewhere). For better or worse, it's a 10A device to allow it to easily be plugged in by nearly anyone, anywhere. To minimize the time to recharge, you want a level 2 device that can provide at least 16A, and for futureproofing, I'd put in a larger one. The two devices have a protocol, so the vehicle won't try to pull more power than it tells the vehicle it has, so a larger one will work just fine. And, if the device is larger, just like a 10W light bulb can be plugged into a circuit that can provide more, it works just fine.

A 10A level 2 device can recharge the X5 overnight...a level 1, unless the battery isn't very discharged, cannot.
Thanks that's very helpful
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #14
Chilipalmer
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddkid View Post
First time poster here, hopefully getting my 45e in a few weeks when its battery has been sorted out. I've been looking into charging and I'm curious to know what you reduced the charge amps to in the car? Out of interest, did the 3 pin plug charger cable come with the car or did it come with the type 2? Wondering what to expect! And hope this is 'on topic'...
Mine came with the 3 pin cable and the type 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
JesoloJames1973
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Additional UK advice

Hi All,
First time post and apologies for asking my questions on an existing thread but the members that charge using standard 3 pin UK plug may be able to assist.
I’m just deciding if to get a EV charging point or just to use the standard 3 pin. I will usually charge overnight and have charging facilities during the day at work so I’m not sure the extra expense is worth it.
The standard 3 pin charger that comes with BMW X5 45e is it waterproof and what is the official IP rating? Do members leave it out in all weather?
Will the plug fit in a standard outdoor weatherproof socket? Sometimes the lead is oversized and won’t fit a standard socket.
Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesoloJames1973 View Post
Hi All,
First time post and apologies for asking my questions on an existing thread but the members that charge using standard 3 pin UK plug may be able to assist.
I'm just deciding if to get a EV charging point or just to use the standard 3 pin. I will usually charge overnight and have charging facilities during the day at work so I'm not sure the extra expense is worth it.
The standard 3 pin charger that comes with BMW X5 45e is it waterproof and what is the official IP rating? Do members leave it out in all weather?
Will the plug fit in a standard outdoor weatherproof socket? Sometimes the lead is oversized and won't fit a standard socket.
Thanks for your help.
Hi

I charge mine overnight only using the 3 pin. Leave it out with the plug socket covered. Left it out in rain and now snow and no problems.

No need to invest in an expensive wall charger as the difference in charging speed in terms of time saved is about four or five hours. Overnight this makes no difference.

Just need to make sure your plug point can cope of setting to 10amps charge. This can lead to overload and heating of the wiring.

Solving that solution is still cheaper than the wall charger. Cost me £190 to get a dedicated heavy duty wiring and wall socket fitted that can cope with 10amps for eleven hour charge.

Hope that helps 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The supplied device is 10A, while the vehicle can accept up to 16A. If your voltage is 220vac, power=volts*amps, so 2200W/hour. If you upped it to 16A at the same voltage, it would be 3520W/hr, or nearly 150% faster. It's up to you whether that extra speed is worth the expense. If I were going to do it, I'd probably run wiring that was larger than required to support a bigger EVSE. So, down the line, with your next vehicle, you'd only need to buy a larger EVSE rather than having to replace the wiring, too.

In the USA, the supplied EVSE is still 10A, but it's designed to plug into our 120vac sockets, so is maybe not as useful, since overnight won't fully recharge the X5 45e. Codes in the US require a device that can run continuously for the time something like an EVSE to be limited to 80% of the mains wiring, so you'd want a circuit capable of at least 12.5A, but the local codes may differ. It's still a good idea, even if it isn't required.

The internal conversion from ACV to DCV needed to recharge the batteries isn't perfect, so you'll need to put in more watts than eventually will be stored. Some of that goes into heat during the inefficiencies, and some may be used for cooling during the process, depending on conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #18
ADY282
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang, BMW Z4 and X5e

Cant remember the IP rating on the charger but its waterproof for sure. I think its actually on the charger. I brought one of these on Ebay as you say the lead its thicker so you need the correct socket. Everythings good and I just charge overnight
Ady

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesoloJames1973 View Post
Hi All,
I’m just deciding if to get a EV charging point or just to use the standard 3 pin. I will usually charge overnight and have charging facilities during the day at work so I’m not sure the extra expense is worth it.
Will the plug fit in a standard outdoor weatherproof socket? Sometimes the lead is oversized and won’t fit a standard socket.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #19
hsk4u
Registered
Rep

hello all,
new to this forum so apologies if a repeat question. I shall spend sometime later to go through the existing info but I have a quick question. I am getting delivery of my new car tomorrow- X5 45e. I have an existing charge master unit for my old Mitsubishi outlander (type1). I dont want to pay too much so was thinking to get a converter for Type 1 to Type2. can you please recommend a suitable converter for this car if any. I searched on google and can find converter for old 40e models but nothing for the new one?

Generally, is it good idea to use the adaptor? . my current unit is 32amp one so the cables etc are already there. As it was a tethered unit, I can not use Type 2 without a converter or change the whole unit?

Not sure I am eligible for grant or even with grant is is going to cost me more changing the whole unit rather than a getting a converter.

Sorry for asking too many questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #20
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

You should be able to just plug your existing EVSE into the X5 without any adapters or changes. You might want to check the iDrive menu to ensure it is set to 16A charge maximum (that's all it can take, but it will work just fine on a larger EVSE).

It also comes with one, but it is limited to 10A to make it more universally capable of being plugged in most anywhere without changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #21
hsk4u
Registered
Rep

Thanks jad03060- mine is UK version and have Type 2 connector but as i said my existing charging point has Type 1 lead so cannot connect with X5 without using a adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sorry, confused over the type designations. I looked it up. Pretty much all newer vehicles now use type 2 connectors, but adapters are available. Looks like an adapter is around 40 pounds or so.
Appreciate 0