BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
mvgossman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440ix

Safe and convenient gun storage in your X5? Safe to drill where? Seat bolt mount?

I've never had a permanently mounted gun safe in a car because they're all too bulky, more suited to a big pickup truck or something. I also don't want to sacrifice space in the center console in my 2021 X5.

What have you X5 and pistol owners used?

Then this item popped up as a Facebook ad, it looks intriguing:

https://varasafety.com

Evidently this is their second generation, quicker response to fingerprint. What intrigues me is what appears to be the small size. I don't suppose anyone has installed this in their car? Or something similar? There's a broad expanse of carpeted real estate on the left side of the center console where your right knee is. What's under there in case I need to screw a mount in there? See photo.

This company provides a seat mount kit, one option being to attach it to a seat bolt. See photo, it's not obvious if there's a bolt there, or how to access it, anyone know? I can see it would be a problem using the seat bolt mount option because moving the seat forward would interfere with it. I always have my seat all the way back, but another driver could cause trouble there.

A broad piece of Velcro might attach securely enough to that carpeted area, but not sure if there's a mount option to allow that.

Anyone else found a pleasing solution to this issue? I currently use a Gun Vault on the floorboard, you can see it in the photo. Having it unlocked is not an option, and having it locked in a way that makes it impossible to have ready quickly is not an option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Wow, us Brits only have to worry about where to screw a phone mount
Appreciate 29
TXSchnee1306.00
TSMC55126.50
Rodrick34.50
volodp196.50
Paladin15513.50
sahajesh2292.50
MB_F3121.00
slampert162.00
jonatious249.50
Grogu52.00
seoul32.00
4ML INC65.50
ravinxd74.00
kolosy1466.00
155ND905.50
      11-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
mvgossman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
I wonder if anyone has screwed a phone mount into this area. I'd probably consult with the dealership on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Most Americans don't mount gun safes in their vehicles, this is just as strange to me (going to quantify this as my father has been a lifetime NRA member since 1961, and I started shooting target practice at 4). I don't understand those people who feel so scared that they need a gun available at all times.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 5
      11-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Most Americans don't mount gun safes in their vehicles, this is just as strange to me (going to quantify this as my father has been a lifetime NRA member since 1961, and I started shooting target practice at 4). I don't understand those people who feel so scared that they need a gun available at all times.
I guess these days situation is a bit chaotic in the States..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
I know many that do! Here is the situation. You carry all the time and find yourself needing to go somewhere that does not allow guns, think like a bank. You don't want to leave the gun in the car because a quick smash of the window and well the gun is in the hands of the bad guy.
Appreciate 4
      11-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I guess these days situation is a bit chaotic in the States..
Not as much as it seems. The "need" to have a gun on your person at all times represents a small fraction of US citizens. They like to say most people carry, that is not true.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
Quote:
I know many that do! Here is the situation. You carry all the time and find yourself needing to go somewhere that does not allow guns, think like a bank. You don't want to leave the gun in the car because a quick smash of the window and well the gun is in the hands of the bad guy.
Nothing is to the point in the US that a civilian needs to be armed at all times. While many people you know may carry, I believe that is a bit of confirmation bias, as most don't.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 3
      11-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Nothing is to the point in the US that a civilian needs to be armed at all times. While many people you know may carry, I believe that is a bit of confirmation bias, as most don't.
Chill out. I was not making a political statement. I outlining an example situation.
Appreciate 4
M40i4me1037.00
IFlyX5236.50
      11-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Do you guys trust those fingerprint readers to function when you absolutely need to pull the firearm? Why not just toss it in the glovebox and keep it locked? Although I don't remember if it can be even be locked these days.
      11-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #11
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Do you guys trust those fingerprint readers to function when you absolutely need to pull the firearm? Why not just toss it in the glovebox and keep it locked? Although I don't remember if it can be even be locked these days.
The fingerprint reader, yes.

The batteries that allow it to work, no.

I have never had an issue with my biometric vault detecting my fingerprint but have had batteries unexpectedly die with no warning or indication in advance. I only knew because I went to open the vault and it did nothing. Fortunately I knew where the backup key was, so I could access it to change the batteries.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #12
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Chill out. I was not making a political statement. I outlining an example situation.
That was actually addressed to someone else. People outside the US generally think we are some third world hellscape with excessive gun violence. So, pointing out we aren't should be a big deal.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
That was actually addressed to someone else. People outside the US generally think we are some third world hellscape with excessive gun violence. So, pointing out we aren't should be a big deal.
Please don't quote my post when making that kind of redirected comment. I was not going to get into any kind of world political views. I don't think you are really going to change someones point of view on guns IMHO, never my i didn't want my post dragged into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #14
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Please don't quote my post when making that kind of redirected comment. I was not going to get into any kind of world political views. I don't think you are really going to change someones point of view on guns IMHO, never my i didn't want my post dragged into it.
You could just not respond if it offends you. I was answering two different posts and pointing out to you specifically (why I quoted you) that most people in the US do not carry a gun on them all the time. Nothing political about that. I am not scared to go places without one, you must feel otherwise. I also find it sad that non US forum members think that the US is a gun crazy, violent and scary place, and some push back to that idea is necessary.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 2
seoul32.00
ravinxd74.00
      11-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Many of the gun incidents in the US are from people that did not buy or access them legally. Now, why that is the case, and why there are so many around that could be bought is another topic entirely. In some places in the US, it's fairly easy to get a carry permit, in others, it can be quite difficult. In some places, there's no permit required for open carry, but there may be for concealed carry.

FWIW, drilling a hole in the chassis of the vehicle risks your rust warranty. In general, BMWs are pretty good about not rusting unless some modifications or repairs were done that were not done properly. Finding a place that can be easily accessed that the safe can be firmly anchored is a good question. Maybe somewhere under the dash that you wouldn't be bumping with your knees or shoes. Depends somewhat on how flexible you are and how long your arms are. You might be able to modify a door covering, but when it came time to sell, that could be a problem. There are more possibilities if you didn't need access from within the vehicle while driving like in the luggage area in the back.

Last edited by jad03060; 11-10-2020 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:57 PM   #16
jc.bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

A suggestion is a 'Vaultek LifePod' tucked under the seat (mostly) with its steal cable laced on the seat's frame.

It has a digit based password and the 9V battery it uses is meant to last for a year. Change the battery every 6 months for extra safety.
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #17
König
König
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvgossman View Post
I've never had a permanently mounted gun safe in a car because they're all too bulky, more suited to a big pickup truck or something. I also don't want to sacrifice space in the center console in my 2021 X5.

What have you X5 and pistol owners used?

Then this item popped up as a Facebook ad, it looks intriguing:

https://varasafety.com

Evidently this is their second generation, quicker response to fingerprint. What intrigues me is what appears to be the small size. I don't suppose anyone has installed this in their car? Or something similar? There's a broad expanse of carpeted real estate on the left side of the center console where your right knee is. What's under there in case I need to screw a mount in there? See photo.

This company provides a seat mount kit, one option being to attach it to a seat bolt. See photo, it's not obvious if there's a bolt there, or how to access it, anyone know? I can see it would be a problem using the seat bolt mount option because moving the seat forward would interfere with it. I always have my seat all the way back, but another driver could cause trouble there.

A broad piece of Velcro might attach securely enough to that carpeted area, but not sure if there's a mount option to allow that.

Anyone else found a pleasing solution to this issue? I currently use a Gun Vault on the floorboard, you can see it in the photo. Having it unlocked is not an option, and having it locked in a way that makes it impossible to have ready quickly is not an option.
Without trying to be presumptuous on how much homework you've done already - Personally, I would make sure that you figure out exactly how you need legally transport and/or store your firearm before you start thinking about where to mount. The rules on firearm storage can vary from a state, county and even city basis and will ultimately dictate the storage solution(s) you have available to you to implement.

Check out the Hornady RAPiD auto safe. It should allow you to pass the most stringent requirements: https://www.hornady.com/security/rapid-safes/rapid-vehicle-safe#!/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Just fucking put it in your glove box. This is way too complicated.

Or just carry it on you.

You are looking for solutions to problems that don't exist my friend.
Appreciate 3
Sdupp14.00
seoul32.00
      01-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #19
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Just fucking put it in your glove box. This is way too complicated.

Or just carry it on you.

You are looking for solutions to problems that don't exist my friend.
The problem is if he has to go in somewhere a weapon is prohibited, i.e. a school, hospital, government building, business that do not allow weapons, etc. A responsible owner will not and should not leave the weapon unsecured where it can easily be stolen. At least he’s trying to do the right thing!
Appreciate 3
Al Pină1839.50
Tenac4537.00
      01-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #20
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
The problem is if he has to go in somewhere a weapon is prohibited, i.e. a school, hospital, government building, business that do not allow weapons, etc. A responsible owner will not and should not leave the weapon unsecured where it can easily be stolen. At least he’s trying to do the right thing!
glove box
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #21
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

As a European it's funny to read how "carrying or not carrying" gets to be a political topic or related to one.

For us all as humans it should just be a 'normal common sense' topic.
Appreciate 4
JB M40i24.00
Koenig129.50
Rondi143.50
      01-17-2021, 02:03 AM   #22
MB_F31
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Gun culture is big 'over here' and before I get deemed a "LIB"(look it up Euro friends) - my family owns a licensed firearm(s) however going on a Forum asking where the best place to 'keep' a handgun in a Luxury SUV is what makes it all so ridiculous to be American. And Yes I love the good old Red White & Blue.

So in short: Keep your gun at home Cowboy.
Appreciate 10
volodp196.50
Beefcake188.00
wrickem2101.00
TXSchnee1306.00
Sdupp14.00
seoul32.00
Koenig129.50