01-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #23
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
is that normal for it to automatically go up to 16A despite setting it to 10A? is that something inherent only with public charging stations?
I think it is inherent to the public charger indeed I don't know if a wall charger will do the same? I still charge with the standard charger so I can't compare.

I was glad it did charge at 16A. I only thought of it one hour after I left my car in the parking.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #24
PAULX545E
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULX545E View Post
I'd also have thought that the Wallbox would just alter the power to the limit of the car - as it does at 16A - but then I'm no electrical engineer and not too up on my transformers
EVSEs (chargers) don't adjust power output; they're passthroughs. it's the vehicle that adjusts.

For example, I set my car rate back to 6A and connected my level 2 32A charger (non adjustable power output)...no errors from either the car or charger. The car showed max rate at 6A despite my charger putting out 32A.

have you tried a different charger or at an EVSE charging station while set to 6A to see if it charges your car or throws an error? if it throws an error, it's likely the car and not your Wallbox. Good luck!
I've not tried another charger when set at 6A...if I get the chance though will do that - thanks.

I thought the same - the vehicle should just limit whatever comes in according to the max current set at the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #25
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The EVSE sends out a pilot signal that is interpreted by the vehicle as the maximum current it can pull from the device. If it's working properly, therefore, it should never exceed that. I think the power limit in the menu applies to level 1 charging. The only reason to lower it from maximum is if the device is sharing a circuit with other things (say in the garage, it's on the came circuit as the garage door opener or a tool you use often) to prevent you from popping a circuit breaker. That same logic might apply in areas where a level 2 device is supplied. In the US, it is assumed that a level 2 device is likely on a dedicated circuit, but that's not necessarily true elsewhere when 220-240vac is the normal.

There seems to be a bug that will randomly lower the maximum charging rate to 6A in the menu. I'm guessing, eventually, they'll figure that out and fix it. So, you could have a 60A EVSE, plug the X5 in, and it would still only pull whatever the menu was set to for the level 1 or level 2 device options.

Last edited by jad03060; 01-16-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      01-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #26
PAULX545E
Private
Rep

Well....!

The car drives fine but as of today both the 7KW wall charger and the 3 pin to type 2 charger both go into error / red light immediately or soon after being plugged in. So seems clear that it's the car that's got the problem. I thought that was the case as I had been charging a 530e for around 5 months up till the day prior to the X5 45e delivery and had no problems.

Call to the dealer coming up Friday morning to get it booked in. Shall update on here when the dealer hopefully gets to the bottom of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:40 AM   #27
PAULX545E
Private
Rep

Car recovered at 1pm today and on the way to local dealer...after talking through some resets on the phone with the dealership they said they suspect there is a hardware problem - I'm thinking this will not be a quick fix

Last edited by PAULX545E; 01-25-2021 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #28
PAULX545E
Private
Rep

Update from the dealership today - charging socket on the car is faulty and needs replaced.

It's a "on back order from Germany" part - with no indication of a due date.

I was told that BMW are having a lot of problems globally with hybrid / electric car warranty.

So, after a 6 month wait to get the car, and 7 days where it seen a BMW tech twice, it's time to sit tight and wait. Fortunately it's January and I'm WFH / can't go anywhere for the foreseeable!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #29
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You'd think on the third model year on the X5 45e, they'd have the kinks worked out! But, suppliers still have to deal with people getting sick, and maybe having people fill in that aren't as experienced doing tasks they normally wouldn't do.

Reminds me of a story about a lady that worked on high voltage cables in the Patriot missile factory...she retired, and the person that took over her task, during QA testing, it was found many of her assemblies were failing. Turns out, when doing continuity checks, that person was using a pin that pierced the insulation to verify the wiring...once they were plugged into a high voltage system, they arced if there was high humidity or moisture around. It took a bit to get that resolved...a vehicle, like a missile system, contains lots of parts that must all work properly and a change in personnel can complicate things. Then, throw in the occasional infant mortality everything has. The US military used to require suppliers to do a heat/cold stress test on microprocessors for critical items. They might end up testing 50 devices and having more than half of them fail. The time that took, and the extra inventory required to support it meant that those that ended up passing cost way more. Today, they don't really do that much any more, as the reliability across the board is pretty high, and sometimes, it's just as good to have a backup with the end cost maybe even lower. BMW does test the vehicle as an assembly before it leaves the factory, but while not common, some things will fail. It's just annoying when it happens to you!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #30
PAULX545E
Private
Rep

Thanks for the comments, story and perspective!

I've not seen any reports of the charging socket needing replaced, so seems like a reasonably isolated event rather than a systematic error in manufacturing.

The dealerships involved have been excellent - cannot fault their level of customer service - certainly helps when things go wrong.
Appreciate 0