BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2021, 03:38 AM   #1
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50d

Making seats kid friendly

My new X5 has Ivory White Extended Merino leather. I also have 2 kids aged 5 and 3. This is baaaad

The standard seat protectors from BMW look a bit weak, There's still loads of leather on show for them to scrape their muddy feet all over.

The kids are also still in cars seats , so I need something to protect the leather from the indents too.

Here's the solution I'm thinking of... Firstly I'm gonna go with the standard BMW child seat protector mats, just because they're gonna be safe and approved.
https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk-respon...r-set/2448367/

Next I was thinking of getting the Orvis seat protector for dogs as that should cover the majority of the leather, esspecially the sides, which are usually used to clean the kids shoes
https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/grip-tight...protector/20h1
The covers are supposed to be "grip-tight", whatever that means. So perhaps it's possible to just throw it over the top of the protector mats, add some holes for the seatbelts / isofix and drop the kids seats on top.
If that looks like it might compromise the safety of the kids seats, then I'll instead add holes to the Orvis cover to match the protector mats so the mats are sat directly on the leather, and seal the two together with velcro or press studs. so the whole thing becomes a single unit.

Has anyone done anything like this before?
Am I mad?
Should I have gotten black leather?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedm View Post
Should I have gotten black leather?
Yes! With that said, I had sand beige leather a couple of X5’s back when my son was that age. It wasn’t a total disaster, and the car seat mat was very helpful. Other than that, all I can say is that you should prepare to get really proficient removing scuffs and stains. Good luck, mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:27 AM   #3
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I would go for the child seat protector mats. In addition, get a good leather cleaner and some interior cleaner spray, that way removing the stains that occur outside of the protecter area's clean up much easier and better.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:43 AM   #4
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info guys

Yeah, black might've been better. I just felt like the light leather and pan roof made the cabin so much nicer to be in, even on gloomy rainy days in the UK.

The BMW seat mats have arrived. They're a little thinner than I would've liked. I can't see them preventing some kind of denting in the leather. Oh well...

Just gotta get the Orvis cover now. Not sure whether to go for the SUV/Large or SUX/XLarge.
Since Orvis are a US brand, I'm guessing Large is sufficient as the X5 isn't particular big by US standards.

Has anyone ordered one of these and can confirm on size?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:54 AM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
+1 for the child seat protector mats and kickmats. I have a 3 year old and also have ivory merino leather, and haven't had any issues thus far (year and a half in).

I also am not sure I would have opted for the BMW mats. There's plenty of thicker, heavy duty mats that would do a better job.

May be a bit extreme depending on the precedent you've set.... but I also don't allow her to eat anything in the car. The most she gets is milk or water to drink.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Agreed. I had a Britax car seat they made a really great mat for it. And I also was pretty tough on him kicking the seats. Would usually take his shoes off when he got in.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
beegee227
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 45e M Sport , i4 40e

To provent indentations in the leather, take two long pool noodles and slice them lengthwise and cut to the width of the seat protector. Wrap 2-3 halves in a white bath towel. Put the towel under the seat protector. If you're doing it right and tightening the car seat tight enough, there will be no wiggle room and no compromise to safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

This WILL prevent indentations in the leather and is actually designed to work with car seats.

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionhe...0001WAO9O?th=1

Also, great cleaner and protectant here:

https://www.amazon.com/Colourlock-Cl...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

When my first kid was born, I had a Volvo V70 with "Gobi" leather, which is very soft and very light tan. The next car was an F10 with Oyster Nappa. Between these two items, we had no issues. You'll also want to get something to protect the back of the front seat for when they are forward facing.

Otherwise, keep a spray bottle with water and a servicable but older set of microfiber towels in the car and just clean up anything big (puke, food, mud) and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #9
Heron Brack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 3.0d M

I have the cream / white seats and a St Bernards, I got a rear seat cover from Over The Top here in the UK was not cheap £169 but it is sturdy and covers well
Appreciate 1
gedm13.50
      01-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

My kids were the same age as yours when I had my f15 with elfenbein Weiss leather.

I just put some towels between the seat and the child seat to prevent indentations in the leather.

The back of the seats suffered the most. But just cleaning it with a wet wipe once a week was enough.

The back of my black Marino seats now is also always dirty. I don't think white is such a terrible choice even with young children.

I think if you want to protect something I would just put something dark on the back of the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #11
Hi
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I have Ivory White Extended Merino leather with a kid 2-1/2 year old. I've been using Munchkin Brica Elite Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector prior to the X5, and continued to use it. Currently using a Nuna Rava car seat. I haven't notice any indentions when moving from the old 5-series after two years of use.

All my vehicles are family haulers for trips and everyday tasks. Kid is always eating in the car and no concerns so far. Probably a different story if the kids are having a Sunday spread with gravy, and extra sauces. I have been through a fair share of tantrums. The mat have always taken the beating and never the leather. I'll just throw it in the washer and it's good as new.

You'll want something larger for your dog, unless you are open to putting your dog in the cargo area. We have the BMW cargo mat. It's pretty rugged.

I was initially concerned about the the white leather. If I had to do it again, I'll still get the Ivory White Extended Merino leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron Brack View Post
I have the cream / white seats and a St Bernards, I got a rear seat cover from Over The Top here in the UK was not cheap £169 but it is sturdy and covers well
Oh wow, the "over the top" stuff looks great!! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
It doesn't looks like it covers quite as much as the Orvis, (plastics still on show), but if it's made to measure then it'll surely be a better overall fit, and probably look better and offer more protection if it doesn't move about??

How easy is it to clean? Can you bung it in the washing machine or is it a handwash job?

I'm also tempted by their custom boot liners too. Reckon I might have to invest in one of those as well
I have the 7 seat option, but will mostly be in 5 seat mode. So the rubber mats don't work too well if you ever need to pull the 3rd row up.

Appreciate 0