09-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #45
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Wait. So provided I have the right iStep, and one configures those settings, and has an iPhone 11 Pro etc with iOS 13.7 or 14, then I could add DK to my iPhone for my Jan build that currently supports DK 1.0???

I thought there was some BMW server side changes needed to get this working?
How are you going to add DK 1.5 to your iPhone? That's the backend change that is required as the DK1.5 is provisioned via the ConnectedDrive app, and that is determined by the VIN and associated build date of the vehicle linked to you CD account.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #46
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
How are you going to add DK 1.5 to your iPhone? That's the backend change that is required as the DK1.5 is provisioned via the ConnectedDrive app, and that is determined by the VIN and associated build date of the vehicle linked to you CD account.
That was my point, you'd need BMW to enable it at their end which won't happen.

So there's no real point of coding-in those settings, though it's good to know that it is there
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #47
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Quote:
That was my point, you'd need BMW to enable it at their end which won't happen.

So there's no real point of coding-in those settings, though it's good to know that it is there
Correct which is why I said it wouldn't work.

The point being that BMW have taken the time to create a bundle of codes to hopefully retrofit the capability at some point for us 'so last year' model owners
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #48
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:

The point being that BMW have taken the time to create a bundle of codes to hopefully retrofit the capability at some point for us 'so last year' model owners
I coded this yesterday on MY2019 G05 in hopes that it will send some type of information to BMW that it is enabled on my X5. Maybe they will enable it by chance. You never know. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #49
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
Quote:

I coded this yesterday on MY2019 G05 in hopes that it will send some type of information to BMW that it is enabled on my X5. Maybe they will enable it by chance. You never know. Fingers crossed.
I think at the minimum it would need to be sent as FASTA via an online ista connection which would mean a dealer visit. This is the case if you program an offline istep update such as 07/2020 - you won't get android auto until the fasta data is updated.

Even then it would just mean Bmw know your vehicle has the retrofit code- doesn't guarantee the coding in cloud would activate your CD account.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #50
Urban
Rep
Drives: X6 30d G06

Quote:
Quote:

Any news?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #51
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban View Post
Any news?
It still doesn't work. And I took my SUV to the dealer, they only did an oil change and a wheel alignment. So I doubt that it was place don ISTA and FASTA was updated. I have to return to the dealer so they can change out my Steering column. They had previously changed it because it stopped extending. Well the one that they installed makes a loud popping noise when it retracts.

Armando
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #52
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban View Post
Any news?
It still doesn't work. And I took my SUV to the dealer, they only did an oil change and a wheel alignment. So I doubt that it was place don ISTA and FASTA was updated. I have to return to the dealer so they can change out my Steering column. They had previously changed it because it stopped extending. Well the one that they installed makes a loud popping noise when it retracts.

Armando
Mine didn't work when they updated the fasta data. We need BMW to offer the CD Apple DK subscription for earlier MY
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #53
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
Moreover, what are you going to do if you drain the battery on your phone and don't have a charger/power bank. You're pretty screwed aren't ya?
Not if you think outside the box.

Since I got an X7 with a built date prior to 07/2020 and an Android phone, I thought I was screwed. Found a great solution (was a tip from my dealer):

I have this protective case on my phone. The link is for the S9+ but they also have it for other models (i.e. S10):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BDG48...ing=UTF8&psc=1

On the lower backside, I integrated the BMW Key Card between the phone and the case. I was a bit skeptical if this would work but after testing, I can now confirm that I have the "Digital Key" on my Android phone - LOL! Even better: This configuration also works when your phone is off or with an empty battery since the card is not tied to any App. So when approaching the vehicle, I tap the lower rear part of my phone against the driver door handle and it unlocks/locks. When I put it on the charging cradle, it charges the phone and lets me start the engine. As I said, all features the Digital Key App would give me.

Since I was using this case anyway, it's just perfect and I can only recommend it.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #54
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
It does make sense. It is not primarily intended to replace the key fob. It's a convenient 2nd way & backup to enter & start vehicle. Who doesn't have their phone with them most of the time. And other brands are going this route also. (Lincoln, Telsa, ect)
I can confirm that Lincoln did a great job on their end. They aren't using NFC but Bluetooth. I have that on our Aviator.

On the Lincoln, you can actually unlock the vehicle without a key, phone or key-card, simply by entering a code. Then, you can start the engine by entering another code. Very simple...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #55
sailvi767
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95BMWM3(full Dinan) 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
all this, for a feature none of will ever use. In its present implementation, it's no different than the stupid smart card key thing.
I am using it every time I drive the car. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #56
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
all this, for a feature none of will ever use. In its present implementation, it's no different than the stupid smart card key thing.
I am using it every time I drive the car. Love it!
Same here, great feature, especially if you are in Apple eco system. This feature is one of the reason I waited for 2021 model. Have a phone wallet case with couple of essential cards, thats it.
      01-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #57
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I use it when I go to the gym and don't want to carry keys with me. But I find that sometimes it take 10 - 15 seconds to unlock the door. I hold it there and eventually it unlocks. Are others getting a slight delay in unlocking?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #58
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
I use it when I go to the gym and don't want to carry keys with me. But I find that sometimes it take 10 - 15 seconds to unlock the door. I hold it there and eventually it unlocks. Are others getting a slight delay in unlocking?
I didn't check the latency of the CarKey yet. But, not that long with the NFC keycard for sure. I find that positioning is important (on the top-middle part of the handle - slightly towards the right ). It should also work if you put the card behind the door handle (between the handle and the door, door-cups).
Attached Images

01-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #59
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Im same. Really useful to take to the pool, lake when lockdown doesn't allow for safe storage of keys etc.

No lag though. It unlocks the drivers door pretty much instantly.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #60
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Im same. Really useful to take to the pool, lake when lockdown doesn't allow for safe storage of keys etc.

No lag though. It unlocks the drivers door pretty much instantly.
Where are you holding it? I've been holding my iPhone on the right side of the door handle, near the spot where you would touch to lock the door, with the phone screen face-up and the top of the phone touching the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #61
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Where are you holding it? I've been holding my iPhone on the right side of the door handle, near the spot where you would touch to lock the door, with the phone screen face-up and the top of the phone touching the car.
I was making the same mistake initially. You should hold it in the middle of the door handle - not too the side. Works almost instantly on my work Iphone and Key Card. You can also put it behind the door handle.

Go to minute 3:03 of this video.

I wish this is not an option they took away from Android. I'm typically and Android user and only use the Iphone for work.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #62
NavyGimp
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 G05

I'm not sure if I saw it mentioned, but I was having a hell of a time setting up the digital key. It kept failing or it was asking me for a 6 digit code to enter. What I eventually figured out was that the dealership somehow incorrectly setup my wife as the primary subscriber. So, when I went out and used her phone the setup was a breeze. Then I sent myself the digital key. Pretty cool that you can use the watch too. Will I use it as the primary key? No, but I figure I cannot have too many ways to unlock the car in an emergency.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #63
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Here's my set-up on my X7, Samsung S9+, vehicle built prior to 07/2020:

First video shows me locking and unlocking the vehicle with the Key Card integrated into my phone-case:

https://youtu.be/svsqZYmgoIc

Second video shows the starting of the engine. First attempt is with phone off the charging-cradle which certainly does not work (I just wanted to demonstrate that I did not have a regular vehicle key on me). Then, I placed the phone on the cradle and it worked. FYI, the phone was off the entire time.

https://youtu.be/siurcYZE7LM

This image shows how thick the case is and that the Key Card is actually located under a little stand. I marked the spot where you can actually see the location of the black Key Card with red arrows and a line. You can see the black card on the blue phone:

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #64
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Here's my set-up on my X7, Samsung S9+, vehicle built prior to 07/2020:

First video shows me locking and unlocking the vehicle with the Key Card integrated into my phone-case:

https://youtu.be/svsqZYmgoIc

Second video shows the starting of the engine. First attempt is with phone off the charging-cradle which certainly does not work (I just wanted to demonstrate that I did not have a regular vehicle key on me). Then, I placed the phone on the cradle and it worked. FYI, the phone was off the entire time.

https://youtu.be/siurcYZE7LM

This image shows how thick the case is and that the Key Card is actually located under a little stand. I marked the spot where you can actually see the location of the black Key Card with red arrows and a line. You can see the black card on the blue phone:

Why did you put the key card in the case? Why not register the phone as key, it has nfc and is supported long before they had the iphone support. I'm using my samsung s10 to open my car.
Car built in 2019. Idrive still on 2019.09
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #65
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
Why did you put the key card in the case? Why not register the phone as key, it has nfc and is supported long before they had the iphone support. I'm using my samsung s10 to open my car.
Car built in 2019. Idrive still on 2019.09
The fact that your software is no longer up to date might be the reason why it's still working. Also, if you are still on a subscription for the service, they might support it until the subscription runs out. My dealer said the reason why they stopped supporting it was the fact that Android/Samsung breached the contract by tracking the users. If this has any effect for users outside the US is something I don't know, either, so you may not be affected in Belgium at all.

In the US, you can no longer use Samsung phones as phone as a key. It used to work but they stopped it. Officially, with newer software, you can only use iPhones on vehicles built after 07/2020.

Not sure what is going to happen in Europe but in the US, you can no longer activate it with a Samsung/Android phone. I was at my dealer on Monday just to have it finally activated after having my car for almost a year just to find out it no longer works. Dealer suggested the "card in case"-method instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #66
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I was making the same mistake initially. You should hold it in the middle of the door handle - not too the side. Works almost instantly on my work Iphone and Key Card. You can also put it behind the door handle.

Go to minute 3:03 of this video.

I wish this is not an option they took away from Android. I'm typically and Android user and only use the Iphone for work.
Did anyone take notice of her funny looking banana tramp stamp on her wrist? or was it just me....lol
Appreciate 0