BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #45
Frankj9000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40ix 07.2020.54

Mine is the 2021 x5 40i with 48 volt mild hybrid. I had the same problem and exchanged the ctek charger for a new mxs 5.0. I have only charged it once but it worked as it should with no errors.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:13 PM   #46
tcbmhell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankj9000 View Post
Mine is the 2021 x5 40i with 48 volt mild hybrid. I had the same problem and exchanged the ctek charger for a new mxs 5.0. I have only charged it once but it worked as it should with no errors.
The MXS 5.0 I received from Amazon is the same as zhangyi17 posted. I notice it's different with the pics on Amazon. Could you take a pic of your exchaged charger?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #47
Frankj9000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Absolutely. It was sold and shipped by Amazon. Here you go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #48
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Never understood the obsession that Americans have with trickle chargers. Never used one, never had any problems - even when not using the car for a month or two.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #49
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Never understood the obsession that Americans have with trickle chargers. Never used one, never had any problems - even when not using the car for a month or two.
I've had problems in cold weather with my F11 - after driving on highways for over an hour, the car reported "battery low, recharge immediately" or something like that. The battery doesn't accept much charge when it's cold and there's nothing to warm it up under the boot.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #50
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Good. We are happy for you In northern freezing cold climates it is not an "obsession" rather a "necessity". You don't want to know how it feels when the vehicle doesn't start first thing in the morning!
      01-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #51
Frankj9000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just as a point of reference. I brought car home from dealer. After a couple hour drive I checked battery voltage and it was at 12.92 volts (agm battery) Car sat in garage for 2 1/2 weeks without being started or run. Battery voltage was at 12.26 volts.

Car was completely shut down. So state of charge went from just just short of 100% to a little more than 60% in a little under 3 weeks.

With all the electrical components in the 2021’s I think a trickle charger is now an essential item. Unfortunately.
Attached Images

Last edited by Frankj9000; 01-01-2021 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Grammar and spelling
Appreciate 4
volodp193.50
Paladin15457.50
FiatLux11.50
      01-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #52
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Battery voltage (and required charging voltage) depend heavily on temperature, see eg. https://shop.pkys.com/AGM-Battery-Re...arameters.html One problem is that the car doesn't use high enough voltage in cold temperatures, so the battery is never fully charged. Another problem is that (to save a few grams of CO2) the car may only charge the battery while coasting or braking. Well, I hope it helps to save at least one polar bear..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #53
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Quote:
Good. We are happy for you In northern freezing cold climates it is not an "obsession" rather a "necessity". You don't want to know how it feels when the vehicle doesn't start first thing in the morning!
Here is a story: 2 yrs ago, my wife was delivering our 2nd kid in the hospital. I drove her to the hospital in another car of ours. Car was left in the hospital parking structure. Naturally, it was open structure with outside ambient temperature. So 48hrs later, with a new born in baby carrier and my wife in the car excited and tired. The car won't start. It was a major snow storm and -25C temperature. CAA won't show up for 8hrs. Luckily, another couple who also just had their baby parked close by. They offer to boost our car....
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #54
tcbmhell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
I think so too. I just now ordered a CTEK MXS 5.0, exp[ected to be delivered this evening. Will attempt tonight using the new charger.
Does the new charger work?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #55
tcbmhell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankj9000 View Post
Was your parking break engaged or released when charging?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #56
Frankj9000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Not specifically set. Just whatever the car does when put in park and turned off. I believe it sets the brake but my memory could be thinking of our other car,
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #57
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbmhell View Post
Was your parking break engaged or released when charging?
Does this make a difference? Any reference?
      01-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #58
tcbmhell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Does this make a difference? Any reference?
I'm not sure if it's because of not pulling the parking brake that the electronics won't shut down completely. The battery management message says malfunction while shutting down the vehicle electronics.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #59
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you just want to check voltages and resistances, many of them out there are okay. As to a reliable brand, Fluke is top notch. That doesn't mean they are the least expensive. On any one you buy, you'd want it to be rated for at least CAT III and use banana plugs to attach to the meter as those are less likely to slide out, exposing you to potential contact with the power. This is a basic, Fluke meter https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-101-Mul...453929&sr=8-22

If you want to measure current, then they get more expensive. There are two ways to measure current, by inductance (no actual contact) or by putting the meter in series with the load, and it depends on whether you're trying to measure ac or dc current, as not all can do both.

The common lead is your reference. If you're measuring a battery, and you put the common lead on the + side and the other lead on the - side, you'd measure negative 1.5vdc or so if it was say an AA battery. If you put the common lead on the negative side, and the other on the plus, you'd read positive 1.5vdc...so, knowing where your reference point is can change the meaning of the readout you get. trying to read DCV when you have the meter set to ACV, you'd read zero, or close to it. Some manuals are better than others, and there are a lot of YouTube videos and tutorials you can view. It's easy to be mislead with a reading if you don't understand what's going on. At least most of the better meters are autoranging, so you won't damage them or get unusable answers with an overload in most anything you'd try to measure on a vehicle.

Thank you, I think I will learn about it and will invest in a multimeter.
      01-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #60
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Updates -

The first attempt to charge the battery with a newly acquired CTEK MXS5.0 was stuck at stage three for about 18 hours. I disconnected the charger and took the vehicle out for a spin.

I plugged it again overnight, with CAR AGM mode selected, it switched to stage three within minutes. And has stayed on that status for about 16 hours now. I am planning to leave it connected for a couple of days, if needed, just to see if the status changes.

Few things I noticed, while the car is connected to the charger and is in an unlocked position with the hood open, for at least about the first 14 hours I would see the Electronic Parking red light and the hazard switch red triangle on. Now I see that those lights are off. Not sure if that means that the car battery is completely depleted while attempting to charge. Have not opened the door or tried to see the control message status.
      01-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #61
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Most everything in a modern BMW is not controlled directly with switches, but by messages sent to/from a computer. If you were to take the headlight switch assembly out, you'd see that the wires going into it a quite small gauge, nowhere near big enough to actually switch power to anything directly, and, considering the quantity and diversity of the lighting possibilities, nowhere near complex enough, but it works. The switch sends messages to the computer which then sends out messages to things closer to the device to actually control it.

But, when you shut the vehicle down, if a module does not get the message, rather than drawing almost nothing, it could continue operating in its normal mode, and draw down the batteries. The vehicle does keep certain things in the 'ready' state, but if there's no activity for awhile (often days, sometimes weeks) or if the battery level drops, it shuts down more.

Why do this? I'm sure I'm not cognizant to all of the reasons, but one is flexibility, another is minimizing the number and gauge of wires needed to be run around the vehicle which saves money and weight, which helps with efficiency. They can use common modules, and just program them differently for different applications.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #62
tcbmhell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Updates -

The first attempt to charge the battery with a newly acquired CTEK MXS5.0 was stuck at stage three for about 18 hours. I disconnected the charger and took the vehicle out for a spin.

I plugged it again overnight, with CAR AGM mode selected, it switched to stage three within minutes. And has stayed on that status for about 16 hours now. I am planning to leave it connected for a couple of days, if needed, just to see if the status changes.

Few things I noticed, while the car is connected to the charger and is in an unlocked position with the hood open, for at least about the first 14 hours I would see the Electronic Parking red light and the hazard switch red triangle on. Now I see that those lights are off. Not sure if that means that the car battery is completely depleted while attempting to charge. Have not opened the door or tried to see the control message status.
Please keep me posted, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #63
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The battery of my BMW X5 XDrive 40i (MY2021) is fully charged now, or at least that's what the charger indicator is showing. This is what worked for me/I learned from the whole process -

I attempted with the BMW charger a few times, that did not seem to work. I then bought a CTEK MXS5.0, which did not seem to work in the first attempt. I tried again with the same CTEK charger, and it went to stage 7.

What I did differently that seemed to work -
I connected the CTEK MXS5.0 charger to the terminals under the hood, lowered the hood gently, did not close all the way, did not lock the car. I let the charger do its job without monitoring how many hours it's sitting on stage 3, or without frequently checking if the console had a Battery Management message. I did check once or twice though by opening the vehicle door, and that would activate the console and I would see the battery management message. I ignored the message and let the charger run its cycles.

It took well over 26 hours for the charger status to get to stage 7 and stay static on that stage.

That evening, I unplugged the charger and took my vehicle for a spin for about 100 miles, came back and hooked the BMW charger this time, and let it sit. It stayed on stage 3 for a couple of hours and then in about 4 hours it got to Stage 7 and stayed static at that stage.

This proved to me that the BMW charger is working fine, and would have done the job in the first place if I would have let it connected for whatever time it would have taken.

My Lessons learned -
Once the charger is connected, it needs to be left alone to do its job. The control message on Battery Management, at least in my case, only appeared if I woke up the system by opening the door, the message to me just meant that the system is not completely inactive even if it is attempting to do so. Depending upon what state the battery is in, it will take whatever time required to come up to stage 7.

I am keeping the BMW charger and returning the CTEK one.
nvsocr755.00
FiatLux11.50
      01-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #64
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

On a somewhat related note, on the day of the delivery, I think the BMW Center botched-up my delivery steps and that has resulted in this poor battery state. I found a checklist tucked in the user manual, and it has mostly unchecked line items. To me, it says, either the checks were not performed or were not accurately noted.

To anyone taking delivery of a new vehicle, my suggestion is to ask for the checklist and make sure the line items are checked and explained to you if completed.

There is one item specifically that I think caused this whole issue, is BMW Battery Care SI B61 18 08, which is not checked in the checklist along with many other items. I have some snippets, I will attach a complete picture of the checklist shortly.

I think my vehicle battery was at a very low voltage state when it was delivered, and I was not even informed or assisted in getting it up to a ready state. Because there is no other reason It would have taken close to 12 + 24 + 15 + 30 hours for the charger to run and get the battery to full state. I have had the vehicle for about 3 weeks now, I did not do any coding, nor did I use the electronics much while the vehicle was not running.
Attached Images

01-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #65
tcbmhell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, on the day of the delivery, I think the BMW Center botched-up my delivery steps and that has resulted in this poor battery state. I found a checklist tucked in the user manual, and it has mostly unchecked line items. To me, it says, either the checks were not performed or were not accurately noted.

To anyone taking delivery of a new vehicle, my suggestion is to ask for the checklist and make sure the line items are checked and explained to you if completed.

There is one item specifically that I think caused this whole issue, is BMW Battery Care SI B61 18 08, which is not checked in the checklist along with many other items. I have some snippets, I will attach a complete picture of the checklist shortly.

I think my vehicle battery was at a very low voltage state when it was delivered, and I was not even informed or assisted in getting it up to a ready state. Because there is no other reason It would have taken close to 12 + 24 + 15 + 30 hours for the charger to run and get the battery to full state. I have had the vehicle for about 3 weeks now, I did not do any coding, nor did I use the electronics much while the vehicle was not running.
Mine was delivered on Dec. 16th. Looks you're right. I returned the CTEK MXS 5.0 and bought a NOCO Genius 5, I just connected the NOCO charger and it showed the battery was charged <25%. But the strange thing is that I have used CTEK to charge for almost 20 hours before. I doesn't make sense that the battery was just 25% charged. I will see how long it takes for the battery to be fully charged. I keep the car locked, so didn't check if there's Battery Management message and I won't check it untill fully charged. The message is still a mystery ...

Last edited by tcbmhell; 01-03-2021 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #66
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Many of those battery tenders are 3-4A devices. If the battery was down to 25%, it could need nearly 600Ahr to fully charge it. That's going to take a LONG time considering there is some (small) constant load on it to keep some modules at least in standby mode. OPen up a door, activate many things, and the load goes way up, at least for awhile.

If it's down that far, a regular battery charger might be better to get it up to at least near full, then deal with the tender.

I opted for the Bosch unit as it has several other features like battery restore, battery hold up (if you're doing maintenance and want to hold memory), and will charge at about double what most tenders do, up to 7A. https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...martcharge-pro
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50