BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #67
Carpe_BM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EX-BMW (2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i)

I have a 2021 X5 loaner and this is happening to me as well. I have this loaner for some time it seems.

I pulled over to our cluster box to check the mail while my wife and dog were in the car. Left the door ajar, and came back to find it turned off but screens were all on still. WEIRD...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:06 AM   #68
almu2min
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2021 (G05)

Omg, i just step out the vehicule and it is still on :
1. Park the car
2. Put it in sport mode
3. Detach the seatbelt and attach it from behind you (without you)
4. Put the gear on "N"
5. Put the handbrake
6. Leave the keys in the car (what if not ? Didn’t try [EDIT : that works too if you get out with the keys on you])

Tadaaaaaa the engine is on but sooooooo low in range you could almost hear it

Last edited by almu2min; 01-15-2021 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: new information not requiring a new post
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #69
Flyaway718
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5

Just got my 2021 i40 turn off engine for stepping out to get my kids in the car and the car engine turns off. Is there a solution for this yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #70
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

With ASS (Automatic Start/Stop) enabled the care engine shuts off as soon as the vehicle comes to a stop. Opening the door isn't going to make the vehicle engine start again.

My 2020 X7 40i never shuts off the engine when I open the door with ASS turned off.

Try putting it in Adaptive Driving Mode and see if turns the engine off when you open the door. I can't get my car to ever turn the engine off when I open the door. Strange that all of you are having different experiences with the engine turning off when you open the door.

I'm guessing that hybrid's and electric vehicles function differently than gas engine only vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #71
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
With ASS (Automatic Start/Stop) enabled the care engine shuts off as soon as the vehicle comes to a stop. Opening the door isn't going to make the vehicle engine start again.
If it’s a 2021 40i, that’s what’s happening. Unlike previous years, you can’t disable the function unless you put it in Sport mode, or decode it out. No more button on the console to disable ASS.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #72
Flyaway718
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
If it’s a 2021 40i, that’s what’s happening. Unlike previous years, you can’t disable the function unless you put it in Sport mode, or decode it out. No more button on the console to disable ASS.
If they take the control away from drivers, then it should be smart enought to auto start when the driver get back in the car. Is isn't comfort drive 🤦
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #73
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

yep the only way we will regain this is if someone like bimmercode figure out a way to re-enable it. it's only software but I have hear bmw is going to clock all these apps out of business as it is becoming too dangerous for them to have software 'played with'
      02-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #74
Flyaway718
Rep

A workaround is to set to sport individual, then set everything to comfort. Still annoying as the car starts with comfort and have to manually set to sport individual.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #75
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I am aware of that. However, it doesn't make sense when forum members are stating the car shuts off the engine when the door is opened. The engine is already off as soon as the car stops if ASS is enabled. So, theoretically, the engine would never be running when you open the door with ASS enabled. That is unless you open the door while the car is still moving.

On 2021 models, does the engine remain running when you open the door and the car is in Sport Driving mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #76
Flyaway718
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I am aware of that. However, it doesn't make sense when forum members are stating the car shuts off the engine when the door is opened. The engine is already off as soon as the car stops if ASS is enabled. So, theoretically, the engine would never be running when you open the door with ASS enabled. That is unless you open the door while the car is still moving.

On 2021 models, does the engine remain running when you open the door and the car is in Sport Driving mode?
Yes, 2021 the engine is always on when in sport mode. Comfort mode is the problem of engine turns off completely when stepping out of the car really quick and get back in - driver requires to press engine starts to enable shifting to D.

It doesn't make sense like you said. And if it does turn off, then damn be smart enough when the driver get back into the seat to turn it on.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #77
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I believe that people are misinterpreting that the engine stops because of the door opening because they’re coming from other models that either don’t have ASS, or have one that can be turned off. What I think is really happening is that the engine shuts off as soon as the car stops, and it’s already off when the door is opened.

Yes, leaving it in Sport stops this from happening. I put it in Sport before stopping at my mailbox, popped it into park, open the door, got out and closed the door, did my business, and got back into the car. The engine kept running the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #78
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe that people are misinterpreting that the engine stops because of the door opening because they’re coming from other models that either don’t have ASS, or have one that can be turned off. What I think is really happening is that the engine shuts off as soon as the car stops, and it’s already off when the door is opened.

Yes, leaving it in Sport stops this from happening. I put it in Sport before stopping at my mailbox, popped it into park, open the door, got out and closed the door, did my business, and got back into the car. The engine kept running the whole time.
Yes. Exactly! I think owners are confused and not familiar with how ASS works.

However, I find it hard to believe that most people can't tell that the engine is off. Just look at the dash. No RPMs equals "Engine Off". Why would they equate opening the door to turning off the engine when the engine is already off?

It's a different age with different generations. I'm glad I'm one of the later generations and older age groups that grew up with cars that had no tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #79
Flyaway718
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Exactly! I think owners are confused and not familiar with how ASS works.

However, I find it hard to believe that most people can't tell that the engine is off. Just look at the dash. No RPMs equals "Engine Off". Why would they equate opening the door to turning off the engine when the engine is already off?

It's a different age with different generations. I'm glad I'm one of the later generations and older age groups that grew up with cars that had no tech.
1. The engine is off when the car stop at red light and starts up when the break let go.
2. The engine is off when put into P without opening the door, then putting back into D and the car go.
3. The engine is off when put into P and OPEN the door, but the car requires pressing ENGINE start to shift to D.

The engine is off on all 3 scenarios due to ASS. But, the 3rd require to press on ENGINE start when the first 2 don't. So it has to be more than just ASS, IMO.

The setting to turn off car after door open is related to idrive and only if the driver press on ENGINE Stop + door open, then EVERYTHING turns off. It's unrelated to the 3rd scenario above.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #80
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Unless you’re in Sport mode, you don’t see a tach on the instrument display, so you can’t see RPM. Instead there is a power % meter, which sits at zero when the car isn’t moving, whether the engine is running or not. Also, it isn’t very noticeable when the engine shuts off (unlike when it restarts, which is noticeable), so I can see people who haven’t experienced the system being a little surprised at first.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:49 AM   #81
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Unless you’re in Sport mode, you don’t see a tach on the instrument display, so you can’t see RPM. Instead there is a power % meter, which sits at zero when the car isn’t moving, whether the engine is running or not. Also, it isn’t very noticeable when the engine shuts off (unlike when it restarts, which is noticeable), so I can see people who haven’t experienced the system being a little surprised at first.
I'm driving a 2021 X5 40i Loaner with just over 500 miles on it right now. I noticed the engine shutting off immediately when coming to a stop and the same when it starts back up. I'm just not seeing how people don't notice that. I'm an old fart and notice it immediately.

I'm betting that all of these anomalies that people are experiencing are related to one of 3 things or a combination of these three things.

1. ASS

2. Electric Hybrid motor

3. 2021 model vehicles with no ASS button

The reason I say this is that my 2020 X7 40i has an ASS button. My vehicle's engine never turns off when I open the door. However, that being said, I NEVER drive the car with ASS enabled. I've coded ASS off so my X7 always starts up in Adaptive Driving Mode with ASS disabled. I also don't have the electric hybrid motor either.

When I get my X7 back I will test it and see what happens when ASS is enabled, the car is stopped, transmission in park, and the door opened. If, after closing the door, I am not able to put it in gear and drive off (WITHOUT having to restart the engine) I'm gonna say this is all related to ASS.

If, on the other hand, I can put the transmission in gear and drive off I would say this is all related to a change in the 2021 models with the electric Hybrid motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #82
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyaway718 View Post
1. The engine is off when the car stop at red light and starts up when the break let go.
2. The engine is off when put into P without opening the door, then putting back into D and the car go.
3. The engine is off when put into P and OPEN the door, but the car requires pressing ENGINE start to shift to D.

The engine is off on all 3 scenarios due to ASS. But, the 3rd require to press on ENGINE start when the first 2 don't. So it has to be more than just ASS, IMO.

The setting to turn off car after door open is related to idrive and only if the driver press on ENGINE Stop + door open, then EVERYTHING turns off. It's unrelated to the 3rd scenario above.
^^ This is the proper explanation of what's happening.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #83
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I got my 2020 X7 40i back from the dealer today. I tested the ASS functionality when I got home. The shutting down of the engine when the door is open is definitely related to ASS. Regardless of whether or not you have an ASS button on your vehicle.

I put the car in Comfort Driving mode and enabled ASS. When I stopped the car the engine shut off.

Next, I placed the car in park and opened the door. I closed the door and tried to put the car in gear again. It would not go into gear because the engine was turned off. I had to put my foot on the brake and push the start/stop button to restart the engine.

When ASS is disabled the engine remains running when stopped and when the door is opened.

This is a functional design issue related to the Automatic Start/Stop of these vehicles. The only way I know of to defeat this behavior is to disable ASS, code your vehicle to disable ASS or code it to start in Sport driving mode, or make sure your car is in the "Sport" driving mode for those that don't have an ASS button.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:26 PM   #84
Flyaway718
Rep

Quote:
I got my 2020 X7 40i back from the dealer today. I tested the ASS functionality when I got home. The shutting down of the engine when the door is open is definitely related to ASS. Regardless of whether or not you have an ASS button on your vehicle.

I put the car in Comfort Driving mode and enabled ASS. When I stopped the car the engine shut off.

Next, I placed the car in park and opened the door. I closed the door and tried to put the car in gear again. It would not go into gear because the engine was turned off. I had to put my foot on the brake and push the start/stop button to restart the engine.

When ASS is disabled the engine remains running when stopped and when the door is opened.

This is a functional design issue related to the Automatic Start/Stop of these vehicles. The only way I know of to defeat this behavior is to disable ASS, code your vehicle to disable ASS or code it to start in Sport driving mode, or make sure your car is in the "Sport" driving mode for those that don't have an ASS button.
Yes, agreed that it related to ASS design issue. Add on the message of "turn off engine when door is opened" misleading even more.

I learn the workaround for ASS without coding. To turn ASS off completely, drive in Sport individual and set all settings there to be comfort - one extra button to press.

If you want to drive in comfort mode and leave the engine running when get out of the car, switch to Sport before you open the door.

Not perfect, but not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:35 AM   #85
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
84 responses and all I can think of is, I am so glad I bought a 2020 and can always leave it running. The ASS button is second nature to turn off before starting, and I would be on a rant as well if I didn’t have that option!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #86
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

The most rididuclous part is for the owners of 45e Hybrid X5...

You may all think the stop feature is made to save the earth from gas pollution but it is NOT !

Because my 45e does the exact same thing when I am in Electric only mode.

Meaning I am buzzing with engine off, battery only, and when I open my door the 'ignition shut off', meaning AC turns off and when I get back into the car I do have to press the start-stop button again before I can engage a gear.

The reason why really escapes me !

My take is that they have programmed that feature a long time ago for gas engine and safery procedure to put the car in park and really have not put much thought into customizing it for the hybrid engine.

Super frustrating for example when the family is in the car under the hot sun, and I step out to pickup something i forgot in the house, wife needs to restart the ac / radio manually. Not a big deal but inconvenient as it takes her by surprise each time. Most of the time thinking I turned the car off and forgot about her ... thanks BMW lol
      05-16-2021, 07:13 AM   #87
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post

You may all think the stop feature is made to save the earth from gas pollution but it is NOT !

Meaning I am buzzing with engine off, battery only, and when I open my door the 'ignition shut off', meaning AC turns off and when I get back into the car I do have to press the start-stop button again before I can engage a gear.

My take is that they have programmed that feature a long time ago for gas engine and safery procedure to put the car in park and really have not put much thought into customizing it for the hybrid engine.

Super frustrating for example when the family is in the car under the hot sun, and I step out to pickup something i forgot in the house, wife needs to restart the ac / radio manually. Not a big deal but inconvenient as it takes her by surprise each time. Most of the time thinking I turned the car off and forgot about her ... thanks BMW lol
Exactly this, for 45e owners this makes no sense at all!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #88
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post

Exactly this, for 45e owners this makes no sense at all!!
My 40e also did this. It is to prevent you leave your car when the electric engine active on and the car drives off once you release the brake. Probably the same with the mild hybrids and also with automatic start stop systems because the engine is not running at stand still.

However it could also just automatically put the car in park when the door is opened and keep everything on (AC , radio, ...) when sufficient HV battery charge is available and turn it of once below 20 ? %.
Appreciate 0