BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #23
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None at moment

To me it looks like that would come out. Wrap a good quality microfiber on a finger and then place a tiny bit of a cleaner wax on the tip. Then gently rub the surface. Does it improve? This process will not cause damage to the surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #24
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
The car is 1 week old and I just cleaned the interior for the first time and then I noticed this.
I found a minor scratch on passenger side window glass from outside 3 days after delivery. It was only visible in certain light which is why I missed it at delivery. Dealer was a bit of a jerk and said BMW said this is external impact and not a defect. I bitched a bit and talked to the GM and he said let me see what I can do with our BMW corp rep and ultimately agreed to replace it out of "goodwill".
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 05:27 AM   #25
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Went to the dealer. Shop foreman took a look and said it is something in the varnish, something they did wrong in the factory and that it must be repaired. They're going to order a new part.

So that complete center console trim will be replaced.
Appreciate 6
      08-28-2023, 08:23 AM   #26
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Went to the dealer. Shop foreman took a look and said it is something in the varnish, something they did wrong in the factory and that it must be repaired. They're going to order a new part.

So that complete center console trim will be replaced.
Excellent! Well, you have between now and the time they replace it to not be careful with it Glad it's working out so well. This is what it looks like.. ..

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:59 AM   #27
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Excellent! Well, you have between now and the time they replace it to not be careful with it Glad it's working out so well. This is what it looks like.. ..

With the leather part?

I thought it was going to be something like this:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_A293
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 09:19 AM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the leather part?

I thought it was going to be something like this:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_A293
Yeah it probably will, I got lazy and just found a pic on the net and posted it. They will most likely remove the leather from yours and transfer it to the new one but when you remove that center console from the car, the leather is attached to it. Once it's removed, you can unscrew the plastic frame that holds the leather, same goes for the release button that opens the bi-fold storage compartment doors.

Here is the actual one from my car as it first comes out of the car. ..

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #29
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

So much for factory "quality check" ?!
Appreciate 1
Heavyd866.50
      08-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #30
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it probably will, I got lazy and just found a pic on the net and posted it. They will most likely remove the leather from yours and transfer it to the new one but when you remove that center console from the car, the leather is attached to it. Once it's removed, you can unscrew the plastic frame that holds the leather, same goes for the release button that opens the bi-fold storage compartment doors.

Here is the actual one from my car as it first comes out of the car. ..

I don't know. Come to think of it the shop foreman said it would be the whole piece with the leather. Because it's fragile and the wood/leather could be easily damaged.
Maybe they can order a complete set but it's separate on realoem?
On the other hand if you need a left and right leather part at 400 euro/USD each. If they are going to replace everything it's a minimum 2000 USD repair.

This document also mentions the centre console trim as the whole part including the leather parts.

Well I hope they know what they are doing
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 20201122_152124_REP-REP-P-5116160-G05_VIN7-LL23630.pdf (478.8 KB, 26 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 10:55 AM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know. Come to think of it the shop foreman said it would be the whole piece with the leather. Because it's fragile and the wood/leather could be easily damaged.
Maybe they can order a complete set but it's separate on realoem?
On the other hand if you need a left and right leather part at 400 euro/USD each. If they are going to replace everything it's a minimum 2000 USD repair.

This document also mentions the centre console trim as the whole part including the leather parts.

Well I hope they know what they are doing
Yup, that is the procedure I used to remove mine. The dealer has choices and I suspect they would choose the one that involves the least amount of risk, which I would think would be to replace the entire assembly in one go. I'm sure they've done it before and therefore that is why they told you what they did. In the end, they will just pass their costs onto BMW since its a warranty claim,
Just be sure to inspect the interior carefully when you go to pick it up, that is a large piece to remove and can easily scratch other areas in your car in the process. Anytime you have to pry stuff apart, then hold it in a certain position while you try to fit your big hands in little cramped places while disconnecting connectors, etc, there is risk of collateral damage. Take detailed pix of that whole area before dropping your car off. Just saying.. ..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 11:35 AM   #32
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yup, that is the procedure I used to remove mine. The dealer has choices and I suspect they would choose the one that involves the least amount of risk, which I would think would be to replace the entire assembly in one go. I'm sure they've done it before and therefore that is why they told you what they did. In the end, they will just pass their costs onto BMW since its a warranty claim,
Just be sure to inspect the interior carefully when you go to pick it up, that is a large piece to remove and can easily scratch other areas in your car in the process. Anytime you have to pry stuff apart, then hold it in a certain position while you try to fit your big hands in little cramped places while disconnecting connectors, etc, there is risk of collateral damage. Take detailed pix of that whole area before dropping your car off. Just saying.. ..
Yes, good tip of taking pics. The shop foreman said that it is a relative easy task but they must be very careful and take their time to do it.

I was surprised it went that easy. No photo’s, no warranty approval from BMW. Just they must fucked up in the factory, this must be fixed we’ll order a new one
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #33
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, good tip of taking pics. The shop foreman said that it is a relative easy task but they must be very careful and take their time to do it.

I was surprised it went that easy. No photo’s, no warranty approval from BMW. Just they must fucked up in the factory, this must be fixed we’ll order a new one
Sounds like an understanding shop foreman, they are out there, just not that many from my experience. Removing and installing it means a lot of seat time, seat covers on the two front seats will protect them.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 02:24 PM   #34
flatland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:

I was told they get a yearly kickback from BMW based on user ratings... don't know if it is remotely true.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 06:42 AM   #35
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Perfectly repaired under warranty
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019216.50
      09-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #36
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Congrats! It's nice when they do the right thing without things having to become unpleasant.
      09-04-2023, 01:26 PM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perfectly repaired under warranty
What...no pix?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 01:45 PM   #38
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
What...no pix?
I have taken pix from the old situation like you suggested but not from new situation

But it’s just like it should be, imagine the same but without those bubbles
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have taken pix from the old situation like you suggested but not from new situation

But it’s just like it should be, imagine the same but without those bubbles
ok, ok, I get it, it looks like new Just curious, any clue as to how much of that center console they replaced? Was it the entire piece including the leather?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 03:36 PM   #40
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
ok, ok, I get it, it looks like new Just curious, any clue as to how much of that center console they replaced? Was it the entire piece including the leather?
No, they replaced only the wood with the led strips, not the leather parts. But they did a good job, I don't see any scratches
Appreciate 2