BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2023, 09:24 PM   #23
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Oh i see. I wish I have a large enough garage for car stuffs too. I now have one extra set of track setup, size is only 235/40R17. Even with these, and typical 2 car garage (~23ft x 20ft), and only one car parked inside, I have trouble storing more than one set of extra. I used to 3 extra sets, 1 per car. Slowly I am down sizing to 1 extra only.
      12-20-2023, 11:27 PM   #24
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Oh i see. I wish I have a large enough garage for car stuffs too. I now have one extra set of track setup, size is only 235/40R17. Even with these, and typical 2 car garage (~23ft x 20ft), and only one car parked inside, I have trouble storing more than one set of extra. I used to 3 extra sets, 1 per car. Slowly I am down sizing to 1 extra only.
No garage, no basement, no attic. I do have a 12x16 shed, with dual lofts, that is really well organized - with Metro shelving around most of the perimeter. Two of those racks have their lowest shelf at 32 inches, so I can slide 4 tires beneath in each one…..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:16 AM   #25
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Also wanted to point out that I drive highways 500 miles a day up to 85 mph and the winters xice and blizzaks have no issues and wear evenly and I've gotten up to 35 to 40k on sets
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 03:38 PM   #26
CO-Terry
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
Also wanted to point out that I drive highways 500 miles a day up to 85 mph and the winters xice and blizzaks have no issues and wear evenly and I've gotten up to 35 to 40k on sets
Thank you for all the information, I appreciate it!

Also, I had cousins who used to live in Bloomfield (grew up there in the 80s/90s), btw.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #27
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Snow socks and cables/chains have a pretty low max speed limit, and while some are fairly easy to install, it's not the most fun at the side of the road in a snowstorm.

Winter tires will wear a little faster at warm temperatures, but personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Come spring, I wouldn't wait too long before taking them off. FWIW, some of them utilize a layered tread compound and allow you to use them year-round once they wear off the winter compound. Winter tires only work really well with deeper tread than 'normal' tires.

Note, the rubber in tires gets harder from the day they come out of the mold at the factory. They might work well the first season in the winter, but as they progressively get harder, they lose some of their capabilities. This is one reason why the industry recommends you replace your tires at 6-years, regardless of the tread depth left. You should also look at the date code molded in the sidewall of your tires...in the USA, it's required to show the week and last two digits of the year, so 2623 would have been made in the 26th week of 2023.

I grew up in upstate NY, where some areas get the most snow in the country except maybe for some high mountain areas, so got lots of experience in driving in snow. When younger, I didn't want to let some snow on the road keep me from doing what I wanted. Today, retired, I have the option to usually wait it out.

Winter tires will give you more grip on snow or ice...less on drier roads, but good ones aren't a major deficiency.

Good all-weather tires get better every version update. As I said, it depends on your risk tolerance and ability to wait for better weather if it happens. Black ice can pop up more often than many people realize, and with freeze/thaw cycles, an ice patch can pop up around a curve you may not notice. Most times, you'll just roll over it...it's that one time when you can't that you will be glad you have better tires. That still won't resolve inattention or making poor choices for the conditions.

Long time ago when I lived in Germany, I was going from Frankfurt to Miesau where I lived...that takes you through a hilly area. It had been raining most of the day. Before outside temperature gauges were common in vehicles, I had one in the vehicle I was driving. It was like 33 at the bottom of the hills, and dropped below freezing as I went higher. Each time, there were a bunch of vehicles that had skidded off the road. Being aware of the situation, I made it home without issues, but good tires helped. Messy conditions can pop up, often without warnings...is a little insurance worth it? Your decision.

Most of the time, downsizing the wheels for winter tires is the recommendation. If there's any snow on the roads, it can easily cover debris or potholes, or sometimes the edge of the pavement or curb. A little more sidewall can sometimes help prevent wheel damage. My current winter tires are Nokian R3's (there's a newer version out now). They utilize an aramid fiber for the sidewalls (think bullet proof vest like material), and a warranty for sidewall damage that's more common on winter tires. They don't make it in every size, but do for mine.
Thank you very much for the information - there is a lot here that I have not considered before, and I did not know that about the dating on the tires. I will take this into consideration when I go to select my new tires soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 03:43 PM   #28
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
Not a native but have lived in Denver CO since before the pop boom and have had ski seasons over 50 days out here.
99% of the time all seasons with the snowflake symbol are fine.
CODOT does a good job of plowing and they’re downright overbearing in their decisions to close 70 if snow gets too heavy bc of so many morons in 2wd or crap ties. There have been several powder days ruined bc we got near Floyd Hill and they closed 70

We put snow tires on my wife’s car bc it makes her comfortable but I’ve driven with A/Ts for years and not swapped.
I drove my Touareg through foot deep snow in the way to Mammoth one year. CDOT was doing chain checks. The cop looked at my A/Ts and the Touareg and said “you’re not gonna have a problem. Have fun.” And we did!

My general take is that for competent drivers the rare occasions that you would need snow tires are an indication that you should just wait until tomorrow.

Now. All that said. If you’re the kind of person that wants to have snow cables as an option. You’ll need to get 20” wheels and even that is questionable. I’d rather just have a pair of those snow socks in case of an emergency.

Another issue with snow tires in CO is that even if it is consistently above 45 we can have big storms come through and then you’re going to be stuck with summer tires you just put on. That’s more dangerous than using all seasons all winter and spring.

As for the racks. I wouldn’t trust anyone REI or Christy with your situation. I’d go to rack attack or rack source. Even if you don’t buy there. They will know the best solution for an X6.
I have lived all my life in CO (30 yrs), and was always the one driving friends and college mates to ski because I could not trust out of staters driving the mess that is I-70 haha. I have not needed snow cable yet, so I'll probably skip that. And thank you for the rack store recommendations - I will find some and go there instead to consult.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #29
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-Terry View Post
I have lived all my life in CO (30 yrs), and was always the one driving friends and college mates to ski because I could not trust out of staters driving the mess that is I-70 haha. I have not needed snow cable yet, so I'll probably skip that. And thank you for the rack store recommendations - I will find some and go there instead to consult.
Yeah we have a friend that we don't let drive. He's only driven once that I recall and that's b/c I dislocated my elbow.

I've never needed snow cables either and I've spent the majority of winters in some mtn town whether is been NC, CO, UT, or CA my entire adult life. College took a while b/c I never went to school in the winters! Well, that and b/c Athens, GA is a hard place to leave.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #30
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
I got myself a Viofo 3 channel cam and used careye’s installation manual to hardwire it. Mind you careye 3.0 wasn’t available when I did this so I may have chosen that over viofo just for the sake of warranty combination.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:00 AM   #31
CO-Terry
Rep

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for your input. I went with the pirellis all seasons, and am keeping my summer tires for the summer so I can wear both tires evenly since I am leasing. I took deliver during a major snowstorm here in CO, and the all seasons worked well.

I also managed to get the Pro Eye Camera installed before delivery, and I bought the organizer tray.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0