10-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #177
Tommy11220
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBE View Post
I got a mail on Thursday from my sales rep that I should not charge my X5 anymore, should set the 'hold battery' at 30% and that I should avoid using the manual shifting and sports mode.
Yesterday however I got a call saying that my car was fine and that I could use all the features again.

My car was build beginning of july and it was delivered end of august. Quite happy that I'm in the clear tbh.
Very good to hear. Just for our curiosity, could you punch in your VIN into the UK recall site and tell us if anything comes up? If so, this would indicate that there is in fact more cross-checking going on behind the scenes and not everyone on hold with affected cars as per this site might need a replacement battery..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:04 AM   #178
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Hi all

I have just had a discussion with bmw genius for my car that goes into production W/c 12th October.

I asked if the recall or battery issue affects my car and they said no.

Also told my car has had a chassis number allocated!

Delivery in the UK one month earlier than expected W/c 23rd Nov!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #179
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e M Sport (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkiokbye View Post
Hi all

I have just had a discussion with bmw genius for my car that goes into production W/c 12th October.

Wow! When did you order?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #180
lexieke
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5

Just read this on a Belgian message board - no official communication but a user sharing what he heard from his dealership

Quote:
It will be decided how they will solve the problem by October 15. They had a poor supplier of battery cells and these will have to be replaced.

From November 1, they will begin the replacements and recalls. All X5 45th have to return to Zeebrugge (for Belgium that is I guess). This means that the ones that are now in Zeebrugge will also remain there.

Total work for replacing the unit is expected to be 1 day.

About 2200-2300 X5s need to be addressed (again Belgium I believe).
Again, not my message, just something I read. They are talking about 45e but let's not forget that other cards (X3, X1, Mini,...) are also impacted apparently.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
      10-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #181
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieke View Post
Just read this on a Belgian message board - no official communication but a user sharing what he heard from his dealership.
I hope it’s not going to take that long... and that they’ll provide at least a decent replacement car in the meantime. If confirmed, what a mess. This doesn’t proof for their reputation.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #182
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG05be View Post
Quote:
Just read this on a Belgian message board - no official communication but a user sharing what he heard from his dealership.
I hope it’s not going to take that long... and that they’ll provide at least a decent replacement car in the meantime. If confirmed, what a mess. This doesn’t proof for their reputation.
If the reported numbers are correct they will need a lot of descent replacement cars. I would try to get one asap.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #183
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
If the reported numbers are correct they will need a lot of descent replacement cars. I would try to get one asap.
Requested a few days ago already and it was confirmed by the Sales Manager on Thursday. My actual car is sold. I insisted on the « decent » car with a similar standing again by email today. wait and see...
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      10-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #184
lexieke
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Requested a few days ago already and it was confirmed by the Sales Manager on Thursday. My actual car is sold. I insisted on the « decent » car with a similar standing again by email today. wait and see...
I have exactly the same. Pickup was on Wednesday and I sold my old car already. They gave me a basic 3 model on Wednesday to cover for a few days. That's fine for me as long as it is for a few days, I have asked for something more fun as well. Since my car is registered now, I hope it won't take them months (2021) or we'll have to have a chat. At that moment the 4 year lease starts and the value to buy it at the end of the lease will be crippled because it is a 2020 car for which the lease started in 2021. Sure they'll come up with a good proposal.

Did anyone get a decent car offered already as a replacement? Might be good to share some experiences to use as an example when you need to negotiate with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #185
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Requested a few days ago already and it was confirmed by the Sales Manager on Thursday. My actual car is sold. I insisted on the " decent " car with a similar standing again by email today. wait and see...
I have exactly the same. Pickup was on Wednesday and I sold my old car already. They gave me a basic 3 model on Wednesday to cover for a few days. That's fine for me as long as it is for a few days, I have asked for something more fun as well. Since my car is registered now, I hope it won't take them months (2021) or we'll have to have a chat. At that moment the 4 year lease starts and the value to buy it at the end of the lease will be crippled because it is a 2020 car for which the lease started in 2021. Sure they'll come up with a good proposal.

Did anyone get a decent car offered already as a replacement? Might be good to share some experiences to use as an example when you need to negotiate with your dealer.
Got a fully speced 5 series plug-in hybrid as a replacement, in Switzerland. Not as good as X5 45e, but good enough.

Unless this forum, I would not yet know about the recall. My Dealer obviously learned about the RC from me this Friday and confirmed within two hours with BMW and in three more hours later picked up my car, provided the loaner. So, happy with how the Dealer handled it.

However, the local BMW must know about such serious issues / recalls, let dealers and owners know ASAP. BMW does have our full contact details and is silent at least in Switzerland.

Hope I am wrong, but the way this is (not)communicated, sound like BMW tries to silence it / save the face.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #186
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith21 View Post
Quote:
Hi all

Wow! When did you order?
Ordered about 6 weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #187
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just read this on a Belgian message board - no official communication but a user sharing what he heard from his dealership

Quote:
It will be decided how they will solve the problem by October 15. They had a poor supplier of battery cells and these will have to be replaced.

From November 1, they will begin the replacements and recalls. All X5 45th have to return to Zeebrugge (for Belgium that is I guess). This means that the ones that are now in Zeebrugge will also remain there.

Total work for replacing the unit is expected to be 1 day.

About 2200-2300 X5s need to be addressed (again Belgium I believe).
Again, not my message, just something I read. They are talking about 45e but let's not forget that other cards (X3, X1, Mini,...) are also impacted apparently.
When I spoke to bmw genius today about my car they said nothing about this. That production was not affected. Also put my vin number in and no recalls.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #188
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
I saw many of you took the same combo. It looks great indeed. I did hesitate to get the carbon black at first but very happy with Artic Grey.
I had CB on my f15 40e with black high gloss. It looked great, for 30 minutes after washing. It really wasn't for me. AG is better, not absolutely forgiving, but better. And I wanted satin silver and that would look good with CB.
Almost invisible dirt on AG after some light off road driving 😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      10-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #189
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e M Sport (ordered)

Quote:
What was your original production and delivery dates?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #190
Bcg05x5
BCg05x5
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F15 x5m50d 911c2gts g05x5 45e

Hey guys, i have a little information to share about this entire recall situation. Nothing really new i guess but it made me go..WTF.. so i thought i'd post it.
First off, this comes from a guy who knows a guy that recently stopped working for BMW. I asked my friend to contact his friend and ask him to reach out to his old co-workers to find out what is going on with our x5's.
So i can not be 100% sure this is all completely true but it sounds somewhat plausible.
Remember how electric or hybrid vehicles seem almost impossible to put out once they start burning. Fire fighters put them in containers filled with water for extended periods of time according to various articles.
So a little birdie told me, there is indeed a serious problem with the hybrid cars. Batteries have been known to explode/ burst into flames and they are now trying to test them in large numbers. They are doing this in Zeebrugge because if something goes wrong they can simply push it into the sea...
I guess it could be true.... setting up rows of containers with water for submerging cars that react badly to testing wouldn't be all that practical.
Still freaked me out hearing about tis though...Damn what did i order..����
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #191
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcg05x5 View Post
They are doing this in Zeebrugge because if something goes wrong they can simply push it into the sea...
I guess it could be true.... setting up rows of containers with water for submerging cars that react badly to testing wouldn't be all that practical.
I presume it is a joke. But if it is not:

There is a special facilty in Zeebrugge to test and if necessary correct electric cars. This locations was chosen because a lot of car transport ships arrive at this harbor.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26677405

That doesn't mean of course that there is a problem with the hybrids that needs to be solved.

Plunging a car under water with fire in a HV battery is to cool it down and extinguish the fire. It can stay hot very long. This can be done in a sea container filled with water.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #192
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith21 View Post
Quote:
What was your original production and delivery dates?
These are the dates. Not been moved or rearranged.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #193
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Quote:
Hey guys, i have a little information to share about this entire recall situation. Nothing really new i guess but it made me go..WTF.. so i thought i'd post it.
First off, this comes from a guy who knows a guy that recently stopped working for BMW. I asked my friend to contact his friend and ask him to reach out to his old co-workers to find out what is going on with our x5's.
So i can not be 100% sure this is all completely true but it sounds somewhat plausible.
Remember how electric or hybrid vehicles seem almost impossible to put out once they start burning. Fire fighters put them in containers filled with water for extended periods of time according to various articles.
So a little birdie told me, there is indeed a serious problem with the hybrid cars. Batteries have been known to explode/ burst into flames and they are now trying to test them in large numbers. They are doing this in Zeebrugge because if something goes wrong they can simply push it into the sea...
This solution came from Soviet Union, when you have a problem you kill from very beginning.
On the serious side now, I think they have more appropriate way to find out which is wrong and which not.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #194
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It really doesn't matter if the vehicle is a hybrid or a BEV...if there's a fire in the batteries, it's hard to put out. The added gotcha with a hybrid is that you also have to deal with the volatile gasoline that might be in the tank. A BEV and hybrid will likely have some sensors to tell you things are getting hot, on an ICE, you may or may not notice the flames until it has gotten really messy. That assumes you're in it when it happens. A smoke detector in your parking space isn't a bad idea, regardless, but a CO one with an ICE or hybrid may not be depending on how long you are in there with the engine running, regardless of whether the garage door is open or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #195
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

Quote:
That is some real b*llshit.

1. The RoRo piece of Zeebrugge is not near the sea, they are inland docks with locks in between. They are just going to push them of the docks where the ships are?

2. In order to even piss in the water you need to fill in 233637 papers to get an environmental approval to do so but throwing cars filled with fuel and oil won't be a problem according to your little birdie?

You are not helping anyone with these utter ridiculous brainfarts.
Appreciate 1
Caramel128.50
      10-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #196
Bcg05x5
BCg05x5
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F15 x5m50d 911c2gts g05x5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateeke81 View Post
That is some real b*llshit.

1. The RoRo piece of Zeebrugge is not near the sea, they are inland docks with locks in between. They are just going to push them of the docks where the ships are?

2. In order to even piss in the water you need to fill in 233637 papers to get an environmental approval to do so but throwing cars filled with fuel and oil won't be a problem according to your little birdie?

You are not helping anyone with these utter ridiculous brainfarts.
I was just trying to run this thing past everyone in the hopes someone indeed truly knows if this would be possible or not. If the facility is actually near the docks or not.
I was always hesitant to join these forum type things because of know it all, big mouth "smart boys".
Pffff
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #197
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
I was just trying to run this thing past everyone in the hopes someone indeed truly knows if this would be possible or not. If the facility is actually near the docks or not.
I was always hesitant to join these forum type things because of know it all, big mouth "smart boys".
Pffff
Not trying to be mean or demeaning but to believe a scenario as such means you have never worked for a larger company I assume. Can you imagine a cross functional meeting where quality/warranty engineers suggesting pushing actively burning cars into the sea if a large scale test fails and legal, public relations, and environmental compliance people going along with the idea?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #198
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Can you imagine a cross functional meeting where quality/warranty engineers suggesting pushing actively burning cars into the sea

I'm glad Bcg05x5 posted it as always good to hear the rumors ... and usually they're based on some nuggets of truth ... in this case that's the worrying part.
Appreciate 4
volodp198.00
pho116.00
X5 45e1090.50