BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

amazon.com crazy packaging

i order a lot of stuff on amazon and i just got the biggest surprise yet. i've always known they've used a cannon to kill a mouse when it comes to packaging, but check this out! gigantic box with almost nothing in it for 2 curtain rods. i have a longer curtain rod that's set to arrive tomorrow...it starts at 66" in length. i can't wait to see what kind of ridiculous box it comes in! it appears i'm definitely getting my money's worth with amazon prime. i can't imagine what it would have cost to plainly ship that beast 2 day air.

Name:  IMG00034-20100120-1333.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  121.1 KB
Name:  IMG00035-20100120-1335.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  127.0 KB
Name:  IMG00036-20100120-1335.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  114.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Lol I guess they don't have a smaller (not as tall) box. Amazon does that a lot though. It's just to protect the merchandise.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
It's rubbed off on you. Those are gigantic pictures.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Lol I guess they don't have a smaller (not as tall) box. Amazon does that a lot though. It's just to protect the merchandise.
i know it's to protect, but damn, maybe have some different sized boxes? they must be losing a fortune on shipping. shipping a box with those dimensions air freight is majorly expensive, no matter what the weight is. i know they're probably getting a good rate on the shipping, but i can't be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
It's rubbed off on you. Those are gigantic pictures.
it's what my phone takes. too lazy to resize. maybe you should get on amazon order a monitor that supports higher resolution.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i know it's to protect, but damn, maybe have some different sized boxes? they must be losing a fortune on shipping. shipping a box with those dimensions air freight is majorly expensive, no matter what the weight is. i know they're probably getting a good rate on the shipping, but i can't be cheap.
Yeah that would cost quite a bit to ship. I'm sure they get good shipping rates from the couriers like you said. Imagine what it's like with Prime- they ship it via 2nd day for free. How are they making money off of it? Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Dang dude...all that and no peanuts or paper? Just a big ol empty box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that would cost quite a bit to ship. I'm sure they get good shipping rates from the couriers like you said. Imagine what it's like with Prime- they ship it via 2nd day for free. How are they making money off of it? Crazy.
you know, i did some research a while back how they're making money with such cheap shipping. i came across some article that says they're basically banking on leveraging their vendors with volume and making up for the losses in shipping through acquiring products cheaper. the article also went on to say that it's a risky move on their part, but so far it's paying off. initial losses were in the millions, but it's starting to catch up. what the article didn't mention was if you select free shipping or standard shipping, they take their sweet time processing the order, thus making their prime service seem more and more like a good "investment." i order a ton of stuff from amazon so prime is worth it to me. i've already got my money's worth several times over even if amazon is getting deep discounts on shipping.

edit: here is a google answer containing a lot of info on how amazon does it: http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/727708.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Dang dude...all that and no peanuts or paper? Just a big ol empty box...
there was some paper, you can see it on the floor in pic 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

yea they need smaller boxes. i had a similar experience with Uline, but this is just WOW haha
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

You ganna keep the box lol?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:

there was some paper, you can see it on the floor in pic 2.
Yeah, I'm a trained observer....sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
it's what my phone takes. too lazy to resize. maybe you should get on amazon order a monitor that supports higher resolution.
      01-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Not necessarily free. Free Trial but it cost a $79 annual fee.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
well to put it in perspective, to ship a box like the one in my first post on your own at a ups store 2nd day air, it would cost over $400 because it's oversized.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you know, i did some research a while back how they're making money with such cheap shipping. i came across some article that says they're basically banking on leveraging their vendors with volume and making up for the losses in shipping through acquiring products cheaper. the article also went on to say that it's a risky move on their part, but so far it's paying off. initial losses were in the millions, but it's starting to catch up. what the article didn't mention was if you select free shipping or standard shipping, they take their sweet time processing the order, thus making their prime service seem more and more like a good "investment." i order a ton of stuff from amazon so prime is worth it to me. i've already got my money's worth several times over even if amazon is getting deep discounts on shipping.

edit: here is a google answer containing a lot of info on how amazon does it: http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/727708.html
Hmm that's interesting. I remember reading about them in business class. They basically started out losing millions every year. The guy that started it knew that when he put out an IPO. However, he told them that it would be a few years before they start making profits. I guess it's worked out nicely for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Oh for sure. I realized they charge you a fee but it's a small fee to pay if you buy a lot of things from them. I mean you could buy a chaise lounge or a tv stand and have them delivered 2nd day. Imaging how much that would cost.

I think what they're banking on is the number of items people buy. Most people don't buy many big items (or just items) in a year so the rest of that fee is just profit for them. If they do buy many things from there, however, they can offset the cost for the 2nd day and overnight shipping. Either way it's a win-win for them (and the customers).
Appreciate 0