nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
I finally got the phone to light up and the LED, but there's definitely a small sweet spot, as the LED doesn't stay lit and sometimes it takes a lot of fooling around to get it to activate at all.

Could it be the larger phones are more temperamental in there?
I would think larger phones are less temperamental as their larger size limits their movement inside the tray. another thing to consider is the thickness of your phones’ cases. can’t be too thick. the owner’s manual lists the recommended specifications

I have an iPhone 14 Pro with Element case and have no issues fiddling with its position in the tray to start charging. note: I rarely use the wireless tray because it’s so slow, and I rarely need a signal boost from the LTE compensator so my phone is usually externally mounted on a MagSafe charger at chest level.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 06:01 PM   #24
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If I remember, the manual lists the maximum size of a phone that can be accommodated. To get a reasonable charge, the induction coil must be aligned, which is what that LED indictor is trying to tell you. Combine that with a potential case, which also has a maximum thickness, and you may have problems getting a charge. When the thing isn't aligned, it will produce more heat as it's less efficient in the energy transfer.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 06:44 PM   #25
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I would think larger phones are less temperamental as their larger size limits their movement inside the tray. another thing to consider is the thickness of your phones’ cases. can’t be too thick. the owner’s manual lists the recommended specifications

I have an iPhone 14 Pro with Element case and have no issues fiddling with its position in the tray to start charging. note: I rarely use the wireless tray because it’s so slow, and I rarely need a signal boost from the LTE compensator so my phone is usually externally mounted on a MagSafe charger at chest level.
I took the Otterbox Symmetry off and didn't see any difference.

The charging coil is in a very specific place on these phones. If I put in in the charger cradle sideways, it needs 2 of those little foam strips the charger came with to match up.

But like you say, it's slow and not my normal mode of charging anyway. It's just iffy.
      05-24-2023, 05:15 AM   #26
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post

can mount your own externally (I did, pictured below. I don't even use the OEM wireless charging tray.) or just plug in.
nZtiZia What mounting bracket is that you have (the part that attaches to the dash)?
      05-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #27
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
What mounting bracket is that you have (the part that attaches to the dash)?
my setup is from ProClip (bracket, 15-degree wedge [not pictured], ball mount)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:13 PM   #28
stevenbrix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by breslaw View Post
Wireless telephone charging feature is not in the 2022 models. Are there any aftermarket products reccomended?
I highly recommend this charging pad: https://a.co/d/fyBNOGd

Get some 90deg usb connectors and you’ll be set: https://a.co/d/8XKB4TE

The MagSafe on this keeps your phone secure and the short cable on it means you won’t have an excessive cable in the way.

Digital Key still works too!!
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4674.00