BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Would you order a 50e today?
Yes, I would order, despite the issues. 62 48.06%
No, I wouldn’t, it wouldn’t be a wise decision. 67 51.94%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

01-05-2024, 04:26 PM   #1
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Would you order a 50e today, being aware of the ongoing issues?

Hi all,

I have an order with my dealer since September. It was supposed to have been produced in January, with delivery in March.

I ordered being fully aware of the AC cooling valve problems, software and drivetrain issues and I had hoped they would have all been resolved by the time my car was delivered

This Tuesday, I had a call from my dealer confirming my car wouldn’t be produced until week 12 in March with delivery end May.

We are all now aware of the production halt until week 10. What we don’t know is why this is - is it to allow a fix to be rolled out, or is it just a standard supply chain shortage, which may mean that the issues will still be present after production recommences.

In view of the above, knowing what has occurred to date, would you proceed with an order for an X5 50e right now?
      01-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #2
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

If you won't get your car until the end of May, I would wait for the 2025 model which will probably start production in September.
Appreciate 4
jphcbpa316.00
eelnoraa2058.00
AidenL84.50
eluded3068.50
      01-05-2024, 05:30 PM   #3
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
If you won't get your car until the end of May, I would wait for the 2025 model which will probably start production in September.
Our registration plates are January (241) and July (242) - I’d be trying to line up with 242 on a late May delivery, but the dealer won’t want to hold my car for a month for registration.

I’m really tending towards cancelling and ordering later in the year for January 2025. Hopefully all the current problems would be resolved by then.
      01-05-2024, 06:08 PM   #4
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I'd move ahead with it. They're not gonna have anything new fixed for next year that isn't fixed for restart, but they might delete some more features and will DEFINITELY be charging more.

Or maybe switch to a 40i?
Appreciate 1
AidenL84.50
      01-05-2024, 06:11 PM   #5
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Spend a little more and get the M60i. You will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 2
AidenL84.50
TN2SC2020155.00
      01-05-2024, 06:27 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
SOP should be August.

OP - I would go ahead with the order if I was in your shoes. You were comfortable enough with the situation to order it, this delay can only make things better.
WagonFan271.50
AidenL84.50
tooloud10790.50
      01-05-2024, 07:25 PM   #7
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

Keeping my order as of now and just hoping things work out. Wife wants a PHEV or EV SUV and this is still the best option IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 08:22 PM   #8
johnonroad
Private
Rep
Drives: 25 X5 50e

I'm keeping my order for now. Not clear if these CEL errors are a bad batch or something else. If something else, hope it will be resolved as I'm now week 10. Hoping we hear from some more people with recent deliveries saying their 50e have been flawless!
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 08:51 PM   #9
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020-2024 X5 50e 2024-

just got word from my SA and got the VIN number. my 50e is in production.
Delivery should be in march.

so i'm not affected by the stop in production with the 50e ?
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 08:52 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnonroad View Post
I'm keeping my order for now. Not clear if these CEL errors are a bad batch or something else. If something else, hope it will be resolved as I'm now week 10. Hoping we hear from some more people with recent deliveries saying their 50e have been flawless!
It definitely appears to be something else. When it first started over the summer we thought it was a bad batch but the problems continued. The posts with problems seem to lull with the Oct-Nov builds but that ended in December with folks in that build range reporting problems.

From the info I have been gathering the last couple of days, there is no halt for the 50e production but rather a greatly reduced output. What is odd is that it seems like they are pushing back almost all Priority 1 (customer sold units) until late Feb/March (or not scheduled at all) and building Priority 3 (dealer stock) and Individual orders. This is just based on the info I have now but it is looking fairly solid.

This combined with no V8 allocations makes me wonder what is happening down in Spartanburg. Not sure if there are problems, refurbishing, etc. but something sure is different.
jphcbpa316.00
AidenL84.50
Cityman191.50
5wany4.50
      01-05-2024, 09:03 PM   #11
johnonroad
Private
Rep
Drives: 25 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluca View Post

Congrats! I guess the question is when did you place your order and was your expected build week 1st week of Jan?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:26 PM   #12
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
This combined with no V8 allocations makes me wonder what is happening down in Spartanburg. Not sure if there are problems, refurbishing, etc. but something sure is different.
Could the remodeling of the factory to handle the heavier PHEV and EV have influence?
Appreciate 1
AidenL84.50
      01-05-2024, 09:43 PM   #13
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
It definitely appears to be something else. When it first started over the summer we thought it was a bad batch but the problems continued. The posts with problems seem to lull with the Oct-Nov builds but that ended in December with folks in that build range reporting problems.

From the info I have been gathering the last couple of days, there is no halt for the 50e production but rather a greatly reduced output. What is odd is that it seems like they are pushing back almost all Priority 1 (customer sold units) until late Feb/March (or not scheduled at all) and building Priority 3 (dealer stock) and Individual orders. This is just based on the info I have now but it is looking fairly solid.

I placed an order for an M60 with my sales manager at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and he contacted me earlier this week to tell me he has an allocation for me and to get my build to him. He told me it was for a Feb delivery but I’ll find out Monday if I have a production number and build week. He is a a good friend so he will tell it to me straight up.
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 3
AidenL84.50
cobramite1229.00
TN2SC2020155.00
      01-05-2024, 10:00 PM   #14
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

For the OP I would keep it as well since you had made the decision in the first place. However I don’t know how the buying is on your side.
For many In the US, they make a down payment and if the car doesn’t meet expectations at delivery you still can walk away.

Yes, there seem to be a unusual occurrence of issues. To me the problem itself is not the biggest issue. The annoying part from most of the stories is how long it takes to resolve. Shipping spare parts from Germany shouldn’t be an issue. To my knowledge they have at least 3 direct freight charter flights per week from Germany to GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg). It might be shortage of the parts itself.
And I feel for those who got stuck for an extended time. I would not be happy either and it potentially could change my mind.

On the other side there are those with no big issues (so far) and you don’t hear from them.

I have my 50e since 4 months and 8500 miles. It hasn’t seen the shop yet. I really enjoy the ride and the benefits of the PHEV.

I have to assume that there are many more in a similar situation.

Different model?
Just read what people are thinking about the ASS of the other models. No topic for the 50e.
At the end everyone has different priorities and opinions.

Good luck with your decision either way.
Appreciate 2
AidenL84.50
Cityman191.50
      01-06-2024, 04:25 AM   #15
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I'd move ahead with it. They're not gonna have anything new fixed for next year that isn't fixed for restart, but they might delete some more features and will DEFINITELY be charging more.

Or maybe switch to a 40i?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Spend a little more and get the M60i. You will not be disappointed.
40i and M60i are incredibly expensive here in Ireland due to our emissions based registration tax, as is diesel. Financially only the 50e makes sense.
      01-06-2024, 04:27 AM   #16
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
SOP should be August.

OP - I would go ahead with the order if I was in your shoes. You were comfortable enough with the situation to order it, this delay can only make things better.
I hope the delay IS to resolve the issues though, and not just a standard supply chain issue.

It’s odd as TurtleBoy said, that Priority 3 and Individual orders are proceeding, albeit slowly.
      01-06-2024, 04:29 AM   #17
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmadon View Post
Keeping my order as of now and just hoping things work out. Wife wants a PHEV or EV SUV and this is still the best option IMO.
I agree, only other I’d consider is a Cayenne and it’s 20k more expensive, I don’t think it’s worth the bump to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnonroad View Post
Thst would be the best outcome for us all.
      01-06-2024, 04:30 AM   #18
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluca View Post

Is it an Individual order?
      01-06-2024, 04:32 AM   #19
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

That is good information, but puzzling and leaves us all more confused. Noone seems to really know what’s hapoening, BMW are good at keeping info under wraps.

Dealers really know less than us.
      01-06-2024, 04:33 AM   #20
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintexas View Post
I placed an order for an M60 with my sales manager at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and he contacted me earlier this week to tell me he has an allocation for me and to get my build to him. He told me it was for a Feb delivery but I’ll find out Monday if I have a production number and build week. He is a a good friend so he will tell it to me straight up.
It will be interesting to hear what info he has for you.
      01-06-2024, 04:37 AM   #21
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post
For the OP I would keep it as well since you had made the decision in the first place. However I don’t know how the buying is on your side.
For many In the US, they make a down payment and if the car doesn’t meet expectations at delivery you still can walk away.

Yes, there seem to be a unusual occurrence of issues. To me the problem itself is not the biggest issue. The annoying part from most of the stories is how long it takes to resolve. Shipping spare parts from Germany shouldn’t be an issue. To my knowledge they have at least 3 direct freight charter flights per week from Germany to GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg). It might be shortage of the parts itself.
And I feel for those who got stuck for an extended time. I would not be happy either and it potentially could change my mind.

On the other side there are those with no big issues (so far) and you don’t hear from them.

I have my 50e since 4 months and 8500 miles. It hasn’t seen the shop yet. I really enjoy the ride and the benefits of the PHEV.

I have to assume that there are many more in a similar situation.

Different model?
Just read what people are thinking about the ASS of the other models. No topic for the 50e.
At the end everyone has different priorities and opinions.

Good luck with your decision either way.
I agree, there aren’t many viable alternatives.

I also know the faults are amplified here. I’m concerned do to my distance from our nearest dealer. I work away from home all week, the X5 will be my wife’s car, and she works too, so return dealer trips would have to be at the only spare time we have at the weekends, so that would be awkward.

I’d just be happy if the X5 was reliable.

I’m sitting in my current 530e XDrive LCI as I type this, it turned 3 years yesterday, and didn’t have one glitch during that time, in all fairness. That’s the BMW standard I’m hoping for.
      01-06-2024, 06:33 AM   #22
45e X5
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I agree, there aren’t many viable alternatives.

I also know the faults are amplified here. I’m concerned do to my distance from our nearest dealer. I work away from home all week, the X5 will be my wife’s car, and she works too, so return dealer trips would have to be at the only spare time we have at the weekends, so that would be awkward.

I’d just be happy if the X5 was reliable.

I’m sitting in my current 530e XDrive LCI as I type this, it turned 3 years yesterday, and didn’t have one glitch during that time, in all fairness. That’s the BMW standard I’m hoping for.
I would think that a lot of the reason for the delay is if such a large number of cars that were built got Damaged and now have to be completely rebuilt from scratch. I’m not sure how many were damaged though. Could be supply chain issues also. I’m in the exact same position thought delivery would be March. Now it’s showing end of May. If it’s delivered end of May into June. Il wait for 242 Reg
Appreciate 1
AidenL84.50