BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2023, 04:53 PM   #111
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i, 24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw172 View Post
Did you get the Mich out on yet? If so any difference?
Appointment is tomorrow morning 8:45 am. It should be immediately obvious if they make a difference. Really not holding my breath. Will post later that morning.
Appreciate 1
jpw17256.50
      08-16-2023, 05:03 PM   #112
jpw172
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramerXXX7 View Post
Appointment is tomorrow morning 8:45 am. It should be immediately obvious if they make a difference. Really not holding my breath. Will post later that morning.
May the odds be ever in your favor.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 05:27 PM   #113
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915M View Post
I have 50e 21' with Hankook Ventus and it is quieter than Rx350.

Anyone with Hankook tire experience same thing?
50e with 21" 915M and Hankook Ventus here - no road noise at all. Very quiet especially compared to my X3 M40.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 06:11 PM   #114
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I’ve been following this thread and obviously concerned about my new M60 on the way. My m50i has felt very quiet. I have the 20 inch Allseasons.

Soo…. I went ahead and used my Apple Watch for a unofficial decibel test on a stretch of road near my home, which is in an average condition, at 65 miles an hour I was at 63-65 dB. This is 21 m50i with pirelli scorpion all season plus 3. No acoustic glass. About the lowest I saw was about 60dB at slightly lower speeds with all air turned off ( never drive like that unless I do a dragy test.

Now I have that logged, I’ll do the same thing when I pick up the new vehicle next week and report back.
RNorb240.50
Bmwx5z117.50
      08-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #115
weastwood
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

I’ve got the 741M’s with Pirelli’s. I drove a 40i with the 915M’s (unsure of tires) that seemed to be much more quiet on the short test drive. Could there be something with the 741’s? Seems like others with different styles seem to not have many if any issues, and obviously 20’s help with a better tire. Just trying to get a consensus of tire, or wheel?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:57 AM   #116
Baze
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm50e View Post
The noise situation with the 2024 X5 50e (with 21" RF) is not in your imagination. We have had it since we picked the car up in late April. After the delivery, I test drove 2 other 50e's with 21" RFs from different tire mfgs. There was no difference. Service foreman and a BMW corporate rep. both drove the car and acknowledged the noise (much louder on the driver side especially on poor roads) but claimed that is the way the car is. Not an acceptable answer. After contacting BMW corporate several times, they finally agreed to put the vibration dampeners on at no charge. There was basically no difference. The service foreman did a temporary switch with 20" tires and claimed there was no reduction in the noise. At the outside chance I requested a buyback on the vehicle and was turned down. This is obviously a design defect since the brand of tires makes no difference. BMW corporate is hiding behind "all the 50e's are like this" - the doesn't make it right or acceptable. Unfortunately this is our 1st BMW in 35-40 years (should have stayed with MB and waited for their 450e Hybrid) and probably our last BMW due to the way corporate and the dealership has handled this. From General Sales Mgr we got the typical line "none of our other customers have complained about noise" My response was "would you like me to show you the posts online?" BMW Corporate, the dealership and the car have been a huge disappointment due to this issue. Will probably trade out on a MB 450e Hybrid and take the loss. Have already talked one friend into canceling his order due to the [...]
I’m exactly in the same situation. Have only had the car for a couple of weeks and it’s sitting in the garage because it’s disappointing for me to drive it and hear that sound. The only miles I have on it is from the dealer to the house. Contacted the dealer and corporate multiple times. The dealer states can’t do anything, because bmw states it’s operating as designed. And corporate defers to the dealer/service center. I’m trying to get them to approve the dampers, but it’s disappointing to hear that they made no difference for you. Any specific contact at corporate you recommend in order to get the dampers? I really don’t want to lemon this car and was planning to do full ppf. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #117
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep

Verdict on the Pirelli P zero's being replaced with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV's.
Good news:
The actual tire noise is better and confirmed by my wife. I thought it was but wanted second opinion. She is a "noise" expert......lol.
I think the handling is also better and to me the ride is smoother.
Bad news:
The vibration and drum like noise is still present on the left side.
Minor scratch on rim when replacing but I think it will buff out.
A $2000 experiment with only limited success. I will sell the Pirelli's and re coup some of the money.

I had hopes from riding in older X5 with Michelins but it now appears that this is an actual design flaw. It is much more pronounced on concrete roads and much better on asphalt.
Appreciate 2
Baze10.50
Mtn2Srf282.00
      08-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #118
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Our '20 Cayenne had waaaay more road noise than our '24 X6.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 06:14 PM   #119
dm50e
Rep
Drives: BMW 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I’m exactly in the same situation. Have only had the car for a couple of weeks and it’s sitting in the garage because it’s disappointing for me to drive it and hear that sound. The only miles I have on it is from the dealer to the house. Contacted the dealer and corporate multiple times. The dealer states can’t do anything, because bmw states it’s operating as designed. And corporate defers to the dealer/service center. I’m trying to get them to approve the dampers, but it’s disappointing to hear that they made no difference for you. Any specific contact at corporate you recommend in order to get the dampers? I really don’t want to lemon this car and was planning to do full ppf. Thanks
After initially contacting BMW Corporate Customer service and getting a pathetic response "we can't do anything if the dealer doesn't activate a case", I wrote a long and detailed, polite, pleading email. I sent it to the following (which was a best guess based on searching the internet) -

Richard Powers
Department Head Customer Relations and Services 
Rich.Powers@bmwna.com

Shaun Bugbee
Executive Vice President, Operations Shaun.Bugbee@bmwna.com

Sebastian Mackensen
CEO of BMW North America 

sebastian.mackensen@bmw

None of these people answered directly but I eventually received a call from a corporate customer service agent who was far more sympathetic and polite than the initial agent. He followed up when he said he would and kept me in the loop BUT he could not authorized anything on his own. They finally authorized the dampeners (which are not that expensive even including labor) if you paid for them yourself. Why bother as they had no effect. I doubt that the lemon law comes into effect here as this would not be a safety defect and the car is drivable BUT outrageously noisy. I did write a 2nd email to the same people but never received any kind of direct response. My suggestion would be to not put any further $$$ into the car and either trade it or unfortunately live with the flaw, It is obvious that BMW corporate has no desire to fix this design flaw. One possible alternative would be to get your dealership to trade against an iX if you were willing to drive all electric. My dealership (as poor as they have been) was willing to do this but we wanted a hybrid as our other car is already a full electric.
Appreciate 2
Baze10.50
afel39.00
      08-17-2023, 08:28 PM   #120
zanicwb
Brazil
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 | X5 xDrive50e

This thread got me scared for a minute! Now with a brand new X5 xDrive50e MY24 but coming from an X5 xDrive45e MY23, my wife was complaining about what she thought was road noise. The hum was actually the Iconic Sound that was on (default option). Toggle off and dead silent brand new X5 here. Make sure what you're hearing is really road noise.
Appreciate 4
Baze10.50
jpw17256.50
      08-17-2023, 08:32 PM   #121
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

here is a x5 xline 50e driving w 20in wheels

does anyone hear the noise people are complaing about? is it only with 21/22 in tires/wheels?

any specific time stamp where it happens? this person seem to be driving it on different surfaces.... I dont hear anything out of the ordinary?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 05:05 AM   #122
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwx5z View Post
here is a x5 xline 50e driving w 20in wheels

does anyone hear the noise people are complaing about? is it only with 21/22 in tires/wheels?

any specific time stamp where it happens? this person seem to be driving it on different surfaces.... I dont hear anything out of the ordinary?
I've tried to video and the noise just doesn't come across very well. Initially sent a video to my dealer and honestly they were not impressed. Took the car in and test drove with them and they were like "wow" that's way worse than we expected. My 50e was one of the first 3 they obtained on allocation. I managed to drive another and the sound was also there. I can't say whether the problem exist in this particular setup or not. I've gotten somewhat used to it and with the radio can live with it. Fortunately the majority of my commute is on asphalt and the car is pretty quiet. Several other areas test the ability of the Harmon Kardon.
Appreciate 2
Bmwx5z117.50
afel39.00
      08-18-2023, 05:09 AM   #123
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanicwb View Post
This thread got me scared for a minute! Now with a brand new X5 xDrive50e MY24 but coming from an X5 xDrive45e MY23, my wife was complaining about what she thought was road noise. The hum was actually the Iconic Sound that was on (default option). Toggle off and dead silent brand new X5 here. Make sure what you're hearing is really road noise.
I can promise what I'm hearing is not iconic sound. What is your setup in regards to tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:47 PM   #124
Baze
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Agree. What I’m hearing is not the iconic sound. Disappointed they would release this model before ironing out such an issue. The fact that so many are complaining; it’s obvious it’s likely a design flaw. Not sure if they already do but should test every model in every configuration with a decibel meter. You would think that their reputation matters to them. Hope they figure it out
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:48 PM   #125
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Do we know if this is limited to certain rims or tires sizes?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 05:18 PM   #126
weastwood
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

just got our car back after a week from getting a PPF and tint done. Can really tell the noise is there on the front left. Again have Pirelli 21's in the 741m style. Praying its a tire thing.. Seems so odd, like there is a hole in the front left where insulation should be to reduce the noise..
Appreciate 2
Baze10.50
afel39.00
      08-18-2023, 05:43 PM   #127
afel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50E

Same issue with my X5 50E

Just bought mine earlier this week and have the same issue with road noise coming from the front left part of the vehicle. This oddly reminds me of the first Tundra that had it suspension tuned on Texas roads but not in California where we have expansion joints on the freeways. It is as if the X5 was tested in smooth surfaces only.

Much like the other thread posts, i love the car and it is too bad it has such a design flaw that only occurs on certain roads. Regrettably i opted for this vs the refresh of the Cayenne thinking it was priced nicely and (also) built well. Oh well, too bad for us and the BMW Brand. I sure hope there's a fix soon!
Appreciate 2
Baze10.50
      08-18-2023, 06:02 PM   #128
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by afel View Post
Just bought mine earlier this week and have the same issue with road noise coming from the front left part of the vehicle. This oddly reminds me of the first Tundra that had it suspension tuned on Texas roads but not in California where we have expansion joints on the freeways. It is as if the X5 was tested in smooth surfaces only.

Much like the other thread posts, i love the car and it is too bad it has such a design flaw that only occurs on certain roads. Regrettably i opted for this vs the refresh of the Cayenne thinking it was priced nicely and (also) built well. Oh well, too bad for us and the BMW Brand. I sure hope there's a fix soon!
There will be no fix as long as BMW Corporate denies there is a problem. It will take LCI owners from around the country to press the issue before anything happens.
Appreciate 2
afel39.00
      08-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #129
val2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 i40

So I got my car about two weeks ago when I drove it home I heard a humming noise from under the car when you go about between 5 and 30 miles per hour I thought maybe I am over excited or something like that. The car came with 21 inch rims. I took them off for powder coating I have original BMW 20 inch width, continental tires. I installed them and went to the dealer for diagnostic of the car. they send mechanic with me for a test drive I ask him do you hear the noise he said yes it’s because of your tires. I told him it’s ridiculous those tires came from mine 19 BMW X5 never had a problem with them. They told me to put the originals wheels on and to come back. I came back two days later with original wheels.’ shop former test, drive the car together with me and said he don’t hear the noise . me personally still hear this noise I told him. he told me to leave the car. The technician from BMW and him will test the car. They give me a nice loaner and send me home. Two hours later they call me to pick it up the car and they said nothing wrong with the car and they drove the car and also the test it on the highway before I left I wrote the numbers on the speedometer so they drove about for 1 mile so I don’t think it’s enough for testing the car, when I was home I try to use 3-D cameras to see what’s going but the cameras didn’t work when I pick the car up I check that I drive and 3-D cameras was checked it off. couple of my friends drove with me together in the car and they definitely said the noise is there so now I need to go to different dealership for a second opinion . This is my story with a new headache . My previous car was 19 BMW X5 40I I never had problem with this car. good luck to everybody.
Appreciate 1
Baze10.50
      08-18-2023, 08:54 PM   #130
Baze
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
There will be no fix as long as BMW Corporate denies there is a problem. It will take LCI owners from around the country to press the issue before anything happens.
Agree, we all have to join together and email the ones in charge with our concerns. As mentioned in a previous post from a helpful user dm50e; here are the contact info

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact
Richard Powers
Department Head Customer Relations and Services
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731
Rich.Powers@bmwna.com

Shaun Bugbee
Executive Vice President, Operations
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Shaun.Bugbee@bmwna.com

Chief Executive
Sebastian Mackensen
CEO of BMW North America
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
sebastian.mackensen@bmwna.com
Appreciate 1
Bmwx5z117.50
      08-18-2023, 09:02 PM   #131
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

BMW will only respond if there's a class action suit.
      08-18-2023, 11:14 PM   #132
afel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50E

And perhaps an online review on YouTube too! Whatever works to spur BMW to take action!
Appreciate 1
Baze10.50