BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 21'' X6MC (F96)

Loading new region Maps on iDrive7

Dealership is quoting me over 900 $ to load new Middle East & North Africa Maps on my X6 M Competition

Is there any way I can do it myself through coding ? Can someone redirect me to where to find the maps to download ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
Dealership is quoting me over 900 $ to load new Middle East & North Africa Maps on my X6 M Competition

Is there any way I can do it myself through coding ? Can someone redirect me to where to find the maps to download ?
You can download them yourself from connected drive and put them on a usb
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
You can download them yourself from connected drive and put them on a usb
I doubt it... the dealership wouldn't charge for that otherwise... I don't think that the maps are publicly available / it's a manipulation reserved for authorised dealerships, hence the price...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The map data can be downloaded for free, but you may need an FSC code to enable them. I do not have experience with switching regions if your vehicle was purchased with a different one than you want. I did pick up a previous vehicle in Germany and later had it shipped to the USA, but the map swap was done by BMW during the process as part of the standard purchase in their European delivery process. There are places online that can generate an FSC code for you. Now, this whole process may differ with the latest nav system, but worked for my previous ones. In many markets, your local region should automatically get updates once you're actively traveling in an area that they would be required as they become available.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:

New maps in the mideast? It's desert - are new maps really needed???
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:24 AM   #6
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The map data can be downloaded for free, but you may need an FSC code to enable them. I do not have experience with switching regions if your vehicle was purchased with a different one than you want. I did pick up a previous vehicle in Germany and later had it shipped to the USA, but the map swap was done by BMW during the process as part of the standard purchase in their European delivery process. There are places online that can generate an FSC code for you. Now, this whole process may differ with the latest nav system, but worked for my previous ones. In many markets, your local region should automatically get updates once you're actively traveling in an area that they would be required as they become available.
Most online services offer FSC codes for headunits other than MGU.

If anyone knows a way to do it, can you please let me know? I don't feel like gifting 900$ to the dealership for something that simple.

Otherwise, I'll just stick with Google Maps and Waze via Apple CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

Quote:
Most online services offer FSC codes for headunits other than MGU.

If anyone knows a way to do it, can you please let me know? I don't feel like gifting 900$ to the dealership for something that simple.

Otherwise, I'll just stick with Google Maps and Waze via Apple CarPlay
I can just login into my connected drive account and go to map update.
There I can select manual map update and download the BMW download manager tool. I installed it on my pc and when you open it will ask for your connected drive credentials to log in, you will see your car with VIN number. In that tool, you can download the latest map to put on a USB stick.
It is a 3-year subscription that came with the car, with 3 years of map updates included.
      01-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateeke81 View Post
I can just login into my connected drive account and go to map update.
There I can select manual map update and download the BMW download manager tool. I installed it on my pc and when you open it will ask for your connected drive credentials to log in, you will see your car with VIN number. In that tool, you can download the latest map to put on a USB stick.
It is a 3-year subscription that came with the car, with 3 years of map updates included.
I guess you refer to map update only (although this should happen automatically from what I read).

What I mean here is:
- region change
- new maps for that new region

It looks like it's a different thing altogether compared to traditional maps update.

It seems like there's a possibility to do it via ENET outside of the dealership but trying to find out a way.

Please chime in if you have knowledge on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:

congrats on the X6M C.

So i updated my maps to the 2020-2 version for about $70 through some online guy who took my VIN and sent me a link to download. I loaded to a USB stick plugged it in and it updated within 10mins.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Never having switched regions personally, I do not know what it takes to make it happen in this vehicle. Good luck, and let us know. If you're lucky, all it takes is a FSC code for the new region and the data files. Updates to an existing region are generally easy and modern BMWs have a lifetime FSC from what I understand. An FSC code is matched to your VIN and the region, and it used to be only valid for a single year, but for most, that has changed to lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:13 AM   #11
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks.

Chances are unless it's very annoying, I won't pay that amount of money just for region change & maps.

I reckon Waze / google maps are more reliable sources for itineraries in the region anyway.

It would have been nice to have the local ones but the price is really exorbitant for the value in my opinion.

I'm happy to test a solution someone in the forum would be willing to share with me and report back - even just try to naively load the maps on the USB Stick and try my luck (I'd need the link to download them though).

Thanks for your support.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:52 AM   #12
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
Quote:

congrats on the X6M C.

So i updated my maps to the 2020-2 version for about $70 through some online guy who took my VIN and sent me a link to download. I loaded to a USB stick plugged it in and it updated within 10mins.
Map update is a free service? You can just download it from the Bmw site and put it on a stick. Why did you pay for it?? Or was it a region change like OP asked?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:57 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

Chances are unless it's very annoying, I won't pay that amount of money just for region change & maps.

I reckon Waze / google maps are more reliable sources for itineraries in the region anyway.

It would have been nice to have the local ones but the price is really exorbitant for the value in my opinion.

I'm happy to test a solution someone in the forum would be willing to share with me and report back - even just try to naively load the maps on the USB Stick and try my luck (I'd need the link to download them though).

Thanks for your support.
I would stick with google and CarPlay like you suggested. Maybe even Apple Maps. The app is getting better and it is the only one that uses the HUD.

I also use the Tom Tom app. It is really good to and not too expansive.

Did you buy your car in the US and move to the Middle East?

Maybe it is easier to do it once you are there?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:57 AM   #14
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:

Congratulations mate on your X6MC

I guess dealers are stealers .. they tend to have their ways around .. have you checked with local service shops ? They might have solutions for less
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 04:06 AM   #15
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Quote:

congrats on the X6M C.

Hey buddy .silver.solid

Did you notice any differences since the update ?

I do get the globe 🌎 + shield 🛡 sign from time to time poping up next to my idrive profile.. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on?! Since connected drive services are not active in most Middle East cities .. except for some .. I also wish we have another way around to activate the LTE sim card in our vehicles ..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:07 AM   #16
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I would stick with google and CarPlay like you suggested. Maybe even Apple Maps. The app is getting better and it is the only one that uses the HUD.

I also use the Tom Tom app. It is really good to and not too expansive.

Did you buy your car in the US and move to the Middle East?

Maybe it is easier to do it once you are there?
Apple Maps aren't nearly as good as google maps and Waze in this region so although I'd prefer Apple Maps given its integration, only Waze will be a realistic option.

The dealership locally quoted me that amount and after looking, it does not look like there's a cheap option out there for MGU Headunit and iDrive 7 for region change + maps as BMW owns the FSC method.

So I'll give up for now and see if I can easily live without.

I'd love to understand what a ''region change'' actually entails...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #17
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Map update is a free service? You can just download it from the Bmw site and put it on a stick. Why did you pay for it?? Or was it a region change like OP asked?
where are you exactly downloading this from? Nothing is free in this region except for maybe gasoline compared to European prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
Hey buddy .silver.solid

I do get the globe �� + shield �� sign from time to time poping up next to my idrive profile.. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on?! Since connected drive services are not active in most Middle East cities .. except for some .. I also wish we have another way around to activate the LTE sim card in our vehicles ..

No difference noticed honestly. I upgraded mainly because my home street was not on the old one so i couldn't setup my home. To my surprised, neither does the update and i do not exactly live in a new neighborhood

Interestingly enough, because my G05 has connected drive and teleservices, i actually have a subscription to download free maps for 3 years that came with the car. Im going to try it out on the 2021 update.

with regards to the globe icon, i get the same thing from time to time but after doing a bit of diagnosing it seems the esim has been blocked or effectively in "pre-delivery" mode according to ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
where are you exactly downloading this from? Nothing is free in this region except for maybe gasoline compared to European prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
Hey buddy .silver.solid

I do get the globe �� + shield �� sign from time to time poping up next to my idrive profile.. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on?! Since connected drive services are not active in most Middle East cities .. except for some .. I also wish we have another way around to activate the LTE sim card in our vehicles ..

No difference noticed honestly. I upgraded mainly because my home street was not on the old one so i couldn't setup my home. To my surprised, neither does the update and i do not exactly live in a new neighborhood

Interestingly enough, because my G05 has connected drive and teleservices, i actually have a subscription to download free maps for 3 years that came with the car. Im going to try it out on the 2021 update.

with regards to the globe icon, i get the same thing from time to time but after doing a bit of diagnosing it seems the esim has been blocked or effectively in "pre-delivery" mode according to ISTA.
The connected drive web page.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #19
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The connected drive web page.
yeah we dont have connected drive in the region so you cant even add the car to your profile. The car is literally crippled without all the connected drive options activated.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:48 AM   #20
tzbobc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i, 520i

Hi there. Just curious if the OP was able to solve his problem in the end. I too am facing the same issue. Imported a BMW from UK to Singapore and trying to get the South East Asia maps loaded. It's iDrive 7 with LIVE maps.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #21
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzbobc View Post
Hi there. Just curious if the OP was able to solve his problem in the end. I too am facing the same issue. Imported a BMW from UK to Singapore and trying to get the South East Asia maps loaded. It's iDrive 7 with LIVE maps.
Nope, decided not to pull the plug for now as I'm using Waze and it's way better than the native system where I am.

I might be losing on features like SLI but I like to drive my car and haven't been using the DAP features much.

Let me know if you go ahead if you see significant difference
Appreciate 0