BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #23
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Thread Resurrection

Now that most of us are past winter, how are ranges looking for other 45e owners? I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when is saw 61 projected miles from a full charge, with no pre-conditioning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjo001 View Post
Now that most of us are past winter, how are ranges looking for other 45e owners? I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when is saw 61 projected miles from a full charge, with no pre-conditioning.
Mine was 83 Km last week without pre conditioning. 20 deg outside temperature.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:28 AM   #25
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Mine was 83 Km last week without pre conditioning. 20 deg outside temperature.
Those are nice values!

Do you typically drive full electric or hybrid?
My impression is that the range varies a lot depending on type of trajectory and choice of driving mode.
In addition to your right foot discipline of course :-)

A lot of b-roads and accelerating on petrol adds a lot of range. But if you do the same thing on full electric the range goes down significnatly...

In any case, I never did better than 30kwh/100km which means a 20,9 usable KWH battery takes you 70km. (This was in 18-20°C conditions)

83 km should come down to 25kwh/100km. I never reached those values, but I mostly drive in full electric.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:49 AM   #26
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Mine was on 74 km once. I think it calculates the possible km based on the last trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #27
JonnyDangerous
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

highest i've seen is 47 miles
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:38 AM   #28
oseldusan
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, F10 30d, e61 30d

I am living in Slovakia. During Summer my range is easily 70 - 85km including AC. Now , during winter , range drop to 50-60km when there is temperature around 0C. I disabled all ECO features, for example my seat heating is not limited. When there is -10C , range drop to 40km. Yesterday, we had -25C. My car jas been set to precondition. When I check my app on phone, it says , power connected 0% battery 0km ?! At car , it shows 100% battery, byt it says electric drive not possible due system restrictions ! Car has been warm inside. I have to use ICE. After cca 5k. , I got 10% electric power, so I used that - I've been using ot. After another 5km of very soft electric driving I got full power !!. Thats strange . No answer from dealer yet.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      01-19-2021, 04:01 AM   #29
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

The car uses ICE when the battery is too cold. At -28 C, my 45e used the ICE for the first 31 km of my trip, but the battery charge was dropping all the time. Fuel consumption was 4.9 l/100 km on a 42 km trip, so I believe the electric motor was assisting almost all the time, although the car said it was using ICE.

Battery range was reported as 33 km when the car switched to electric.

It would be interesting to know how exactly the car works in different situations. And how does the car warm the battery? Can it use the heat from the ICE to warm the battery or is discharging/charging the battery the only way to heat it up?

Is the car able to charge the battery when the car is stationary with the ICE running? For example, if a road is temporarily closed or you are waiting for a ferry, is there a risk of running out of battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #30
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
The car uses ICE when the battery is too cold. At -28 C, my 45e used the ICE for the first 31 km of my trip, but the battery charge was dropping all the time. Fuel consumption was 4.9 l/100 km on a 42 km trip, so I believe the electric motor was assisting almost all the time, although the car said it was using ICE.

It would be interesting to know how exactly the car works in different situations. And how does the car warm the battery? Can it use the heat from the ICE to warm the battery or is discharging/charging the battery the only way to heat it up?

Is the car able to charge the battery when the car is stationary with the ICE running? For example, if a road is temporarily closed or you are waiting for a ferry, is there a risk of running out of battery?
I haven’t tried with my x5 45e, but my previous bmw 740le could charge the battery if it was extremely low and the car was statuary. Don’t expect it will charge much. Just a little bit. You can check the power distribution/charging in the menu, btw
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #31
oseldusan
Rep

Quote:

So I am really disapointed , that preconditioning doesn't mean to warm battery also . Really, really strange , and stupid behaviour. ICE has not been also warm, because it says Full power is not available yet . If it knows , when I am going to use car it should preheat battery, or at least ICE. I can see , that until cca -12C it works normally. No restrictions.
Sorry to say, but I have my car already more than one year and I did not even red about this issue. My dealer also did not told me " Be careful, under -20C it works like normal ICE only ". I would consider to by this car . Luckily , last two years we do not have less that -20C too many time . In the past it has been like 1-2 months here.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #32
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseldusan View Post
Quote:

So I am really disapointed , that preconditioning doesn't mean to warm battery also . Really, really strange , and stupid behaviour. ICE has not been also warm, because it says Full power is not available yet . If it knows , when I am going to use car it should preheat battery, or at least ICE. I can see , that until cca -12C it works normally. No restrictions.
Sorry to say, but I have my car already more than one year and I did not even red about this issue. My dealer also did not told me " Be careful, under -20C it works like normal ICE only ". I would consider to by this car . Luckily , last two years we do not have less that -20C too many time . In the past it has been like 1-2 months here.
It doesn't heat the ICE on preconditioning. But if you program a departure time more than 3 hours before departure it does preheat the battery. But you have to program it.

Heating the ICE is very quick but it takes a few minutes.

Do I understand correctly that you dealer told you that pre conditioning doesn't work below 20 degrees Celsius? I didn't hear about that but we don't have those temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #33
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e M Sport (ordered)

Quote:
It doesn't heat the ICE on preconditioning. But if you program a departure time more than 3 hours before departure it does preheat the battery. But you have to program it.
Hi - can I just double check this? On the i3s, preconditioning set 3 hours or more before departure absolutely warmed the batteries as well. It states that in all the manuals/videos etc.

But does the 45e (and other PHEV’s) definitely warm the battery as well? Or is pre-conditioning just for the cabin?

Only asking as I can’t find any reference to it in the manual and every time I’ve tried to set it I’m convinced that whilst the cabin is warm, the batteries aren’t as the range stays low due to cold temperatures. I also get that blue temperature icon in the display.

Only added bit of info is I haven’t set charging times and always charge immediately.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #34
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith21 View Post
Quote:
Hi - can I just double check this? On the i3s, preconditioning set 3 hours or more before departure absolutely warmed the batteries as well. It states that in all the manuals/videos etc.

But does the 45e (and other PHEV’s) definitely warm the battery as well? Or is pre-conditioning just for the cabin?

Only asking as I can’t find any reference to it in the manual and every time I’ve tried to set it I’m convinced that whilst the cabin is warm, the batteries aren’t as the range stays low due to cold temperatures. I also get that blue temperature icon in the display.

Only added bit of info is I haven’t set charging times and always charge immediately.
Only added bit of info is I haven't set charging times and always charge immediately.[/QUOTE]

I think this is why it doesn't preheat the HV battery and only heats the cabin. It takes time and energy to precondition the battery and that only makes sense while plugged in long enough.

The manual says it will only precondition the battery when programmed 3 hours before departure.

As far as I understand. It never preconditions the ICE not even when driving in all electric mode. But once the ICE is turned on it is heated really fast. Preconditioning of the HV battery is only when programmed 3 hours before departure. Pre heating or cooling the cabin can be done any time.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #35
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
The manual says it will only precondition the battery when programmed 3 hours before departure.

As far as I understand. It never preconditions the ICE not even when driving in all electric mode. But once the ICE is turned on it is heated really fast. Preconditioning of the HV battery is only when programmed 3 hours before departure. Pre heating or cooling the cabin can be done any time.
Where in the manual is this mentioned? Can't find it.

At -28 C and after driving on ICE for 31 km, the engine oil temperature was only 75 degrees. But that may be because the lower flaps on my car don't close..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Where in the manual is this mentioned? Can't find it.

At -28 C and after driving on ICE for 31 km, the engine oil temperature was only 75 degrees. But that may be because the lower flaps on my car don't close..
I can't find it anymore either.

It used to be in the app. When a departure time is set it mentioned that for full preconditioning a departure at least 3 hours later was required. It doesn't say that anymore and in the online manual it doesn't mention anything anymore about preconditioning the battery really strange.

I did find an instructional movie from a BMW genius in a 745e mentioning that the battery will be cooled or heated to 25 degrees with preconditioning.

I will do some more research tomorrow.

Did they remove the battery preconditioning??? Would be very strange.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #37
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And quite annoying!

The only bit I can find in the manual about heating/cooling the battery based on the ambient temperature refers to ‘Intelligent Charging’. This looks like it uses an online service rather than an app/iDrive setting.

I’m expecting a cold night tonight so will set a departure time in the morning and check my smart meter to see how much electricity is being used from 3 hours beforehand.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #38
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith21 View Post
Quote:
And quite annoying!

The only bit I can find in the manual about heating/cooling the battery based on the ambient temperature refers to ‘Intelligent Charging’. This looks like it uses an online service rather than an app/iDrive setting.

I’m expecting a cold night tonight so will set a departure time in the morning and check my smart meter to see how much electricity is being used from 3 hours beforehand.
That would be a way to check it. Thanks.

If it only pre heats the cabin it should only start 10-15 minutes before departure.

Just make sure your battery is fully charged 3 hours before departure.

I also found this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #39
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That would be a way to check it. Thanks.

If it only pre heats the cabin it should only start 10-15 minutes before departure.

Just make sure your battery is fully charged 3 hours before departure.
Yep - charging is due to finish at ~04:20 and have set departure for 10:00.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-20-2021, 04:51 AM   #40
garysmith21
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

So I checked my smart meter from 7am through to 10am.

Nothing happened at 7am - it was displaying that my consumption was less than 300w. At some point between 9.30am and 9.40am it jumped to 4.03kw so I’m assuming as the battery was preconditioning the cabin, it was being recharged as it was doing that. It stayed at that rate until about 10.10am.

The battery is showing as fully charged, the cabin is preheated but that blue symbol is at the top of the dash (see pic).

So whilst a small amount of charging may have warmed the battery, I’m not convinced this is the same as the pure EVs like the i3 do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-20-2021, 06:03 AM   #41
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

[QUOTE=garysmith21;27139181]So I checked my smart meter from 7am through to 10am.

Nothing happened at 7am - it was displaying that my consumption was less than 300w. At some point between 9.30am and 9.40am it jumped to 4.03kw so I’m assuming as the battery was preconditioning the cabin, it was being recharged as it was doing that. It stayed at that rate until about 10.10am.

The battery is showing as fully charged, the cabin is preheated but that blue symbol is at the top of the dash (see pic).

So whilst a small amount of charging may have warmed the battery, I’m not convinced this is the same as the pure EVs like the i3 do.

The blue symbol is to let you know the petrol engine is still cold and won't go out until the engine has been run for a while
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #42
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lb0y11 View Post
I haven’t tried with my x5 45e, but my previous bmw 740le could charge the battery if it was extremely low and the car was statuary. Don’t expect it will charge much. Just a little bit. You can check the power distribution/charging in the menu, btw
That's a good idea, but when I put the gear in sports mode and ICE started, the power distribution display didn't show any animation for powerflow.. just a near-empty battery and ICE running. :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #43
oseldusan
Rep

Actually, when I had that problem , I had car fully charged and still connected to power socket ( 13A ). I set preconditioning timer more than 8 hours before departure. Could be, that it has some troubles with charging. My dealer changed some parts on door for charging few weeks ago, because I had many times errors with charging. It helps for few weeks, but is it back now. It happen twice per week now . When I can't use electric power last time , there has not been error with charging displayed, and I can see on my charger before I enter my car , it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #44
oseldusan
Rep

It has been only one day below -20C here, so I cannot check it again. As I wrote before , It works correctly above -13C for me.
Btw, it shows this indicators ( bottom right corner ) . Unfortunatelly can't find it in online help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0