BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #1
Ywxxbear
Rep
Drives: M340i

x5 50e v.s. model x, after price cut

with recent price cut, model x LR can be had for 72500 after tax and referral, plus destination.
x5 50e starts at the same price.

I was first wanting to get a model x because of 7 seat (don't NEED it, but very good to have when family visit every once in a while), but it was too expensive. so I started to look at 5 seater and landed on the 50e. With recent price cut, model x 5 seater became cheaper than x5, even 7 seater is cheaper if we only look at msrp and considering options I wanted on the x5. Initial thought after hearing about the price drop is that model x sounds like a bargain and no brainer. but after sleeping on it, and think through the pros and cons, i'm not so sure any more.

I had a deposit on 50e, and my build comes out to be 9% off at around 77500 ish, so right now the 2 car are back to roughly the same price bracket again.

I just put down a deposit on model x as well, so now I have a month to decide which one I ultimately want to take delivery of.

Rented model x for a day, and test drove the 50e, my comparison so far:
1. drivetrain
model x, bev
+ all power all the time
+ no need to go to gas station, ever
- find charger on long road trip

x5, phev
+ nice b58 tone
+ gas car like regular ICE on long road trip
- less power unless having ICE kicked in
- needing to go to gas station the more time you want power and "fun"

To me, this is about equal, slightly favor PHEV because wife hates the idea of having to find charger on the go (we never had EV before) b58 notes and the insane acceleration of model x LR both are great, but might want to enjoy b58 more before ICE is completely gone.

2. Ride comfort and handling
both on air suspension, I like the ride from both.
X5 more road/tire noise, likely due to tire.
X5 has a lot more body roll when cornering regardless of which mode I'm in so a win for model x for me.

3. Interior
model x
+ huge amount of cabin storage space
+ unique and fantastic pano front window (when not facing sun)
+ spacious
+ cool apps built in, like youtube/steam etc.
+ comfortable seat
+ ventilated seat
+ quiet
- poor quality and material
- screen
- touch screen for common functionality
- touch sensitive button on steering wheel, and horn (i'm getting round steering wheel)

x5
+ luxury and cool looking, with ambient light, textured ac vent etc
+ fantastic seat (based on test drive)
+ lots of tech feature
+ rotary dial to control infotainment
+ fantastic HUD
+ AR navigation actually useful (but don't know how good bmw map is)
- no vent seat (or I don't want to spend $2000 extra for it as i feel the feature is not good with how bmw implements it)
- doorsill getting pants dirty when raining
- very few cabin storage
- ambient noise coming in easily (might just be a thing for my tester)

4. Exterior
Very personal one.
X5 with msports looks good except the front black grill. I might grow on it eventually but for now I'm just telling my mind to ignore the big black area. X5 also more aggressive looking. I ordered dravit grey, which should be a unique and interesting color.

Model x looks very conservative, can't tell it apart from model y on a quick glance. On closer look, it's a lot better than the Y. It kind of grows on me after seeing it for so many years on the road and I don't hate it. Ultra red color is really cool.

I'm not an extrovert so even though I think x5 overall looks better, however I sometime think it's too flashy, yelling luxury and sportiness and drawing attention. whereas model x just look like any other tesla on the road unless you open the wing door.
I guess in the end it's a toss for me. (wife likes x5 better and hate the look of model x so there's that..)

5. Others
model x
+ falcon wing door (i don't have kids, so it's mostly just a very cool feature for friends and family)
+ auto open/close door
+ better phone app
+ better speaker
+ all kinds of utility of a BEV
- no native android auto/apple car play
- no 360 camera, even no front camera, and no USS for beeping
- build quality, bad panel gap and what not
- people may think I'm a tesla "fan boy" lol
- elon musk
- constant discount making it hard to estimate depreciation. dealer are hesitant to take trade in on tesla nowadays, risk locking into tesla.

x5
+ remote parking (but only on ios right now)
+ Many benefits of a BEV, like pre-conditioning
+ DAPP (didn't try it personally)
+ 360 camera
- Not all feature of a BEV, like camp mode is not possible I believe?
- higher running cost in the long run
- 50e being first year, higher chance of issue like CEL and shaft etc reported here.

After laying all of these out, I don't think there's a clear winner. Non of the point listed are a deal breaker, or a must have for me.
Some I might not get a sense until I own the car long term. like tesla's poor quality, which I didn't notice any with the test drive, because I didn't look for it. and it's a 10k mile turo rental which kind of gives me confidence.

Think i'm leaning towards model x at this point largely because of the driving dynamic, I really dislike the body roll from X5 when cornering, coming from someone who drive sedan and hatch back all my life.
I almost convinced myself to settle for utility and accept an SUV because we do need a large trunk space, and there're not really a good hatchback out there if we talk about quiet and comfort ride and modern tech. Until I drove model x, which I really didn't feel like that much different from my sedan other than I'm sitting higher off the ground.
Seems strange but I think i'm picking model x over x5 because it's a better driver's car than the BMW.

lastly the more understated look of model x, even with red paint, should draw less attention hopefully.

I know i'm asking this on a X5 forum but still love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by Ywxxbear; 09-02-2023 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 3
cptcolo103.50
wxdave70.50
      09-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
range anxiety alone is the deal-breaker for why we're not opting for all-electric SUV at this time in our lives despite all other positives over a PHEV SUV

when on a road trip, our goal is getting from A to B as quickly as possible. while i enjoy driving, i'd rather be at my destination. my time at my destination is taken away by the shortcoming of the all-electric SUV's electric range. those shortcomings include:
1) looking for a charger
2) potentially having to wait in line for a charger to become available
3) the longer time to charge compared to filling up with fuel

mind you we will be getting a full EV in a couple years, but it will be a sedan reserved for local driving only, no road trips

Last edited by nZtiZia; 09-02-2023 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 4
admranger2998.00
1Boxer36.00
cptcolo103.50
      09-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #3
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
range anxiety alone is the deal-breaker for why we're not opting for all-electric SUV at this time in our lives despite all other positives over a PHEV SUV

when on a road trip, our goal is getting from A to B as quickly as possible. while i enjoy driving, i'd rather be at my destination. my time at my destination is taken away by the shortcoming of the all-electric SUV's electric range. those shortcomings include:
1) looking for a charger
2) potentially having to wait in line for a charger to become available
3) the longer time to charge compared to filling up with fuel
For us it was a simple combination of factors:

1. For reasons I don’t need to go into, we didn’t want to support Tesla now despite how hugely impressive their accomplishments have been.

2. Give #1, range anxiety knocked any full EV out of contention. Even though I would love to go full EV.

Having rented Teslas occasionally in the past, I think range anxiety is not a big deal if you have a Tesla. The supercharger network really is that impressive and seemingly getting better all the time. Everything else is a reliability and availability crap shoot.

So we ended up leasing the 50e. We will see where the non-Tesla infrastructure is in 3 years. Hopefully by then I will have solar and the NACS standardization + multi-OEM charger rollout will make the infrastructure reliable enough.

In the meantime the 50e has been good. We have nearly 3000 miles and have filled it up twice largely due to a road trip. And I actually think the BMW’s highway automation is better than that of Tesla’s autopilot FWIW. Hate the wheel jiggling thing on the rentals I’ve had.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 2
admranger2998.00
cobramite1229.00
      09-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #4
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I am also with the two posters above. Before we even get into price, interior, exterior, the drive chain mean usage routine difference. This is way more important. I will not own EV as family at this point. We are not ready to looking charging and stuck there for 30 min with infant and folder in the back seats. It is a miserable experience. For a daily commuter, sure I will.

I have had model s, 2017 85D. Tesla isn’t a luxury car. After a month of ownership, you will get over that iPad screen. You then will notice the Camry level materials throughout the cabins. In my case, it mostly notice things I touch when driving, such as door panel, center console, signal stall, button to close trunk, even the beep when trunk is close, all are at Camry level. It was ok, not enough for me to change until one thing happened, the door handle on the rear passenger fail to pop out, the rear driver handle pop out but fail to open the door (this one we didn’t notice because we hardly open that door). In the day of the rear passenger handle failures, my son was there. With child safety lock engaged, we could not get to our son. It was at that point my wife said let’s change. Overall experience is quality of tesla is very questionable

Last edited by eelnoraa; 09-02-2023 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak2024 View Post
For us it was a simple combination of factors:

1. For reasons I don’t need to go into, we didn’t want to support Tesla now despite how hugely impressive their accomplishments have been.

2. Give #1, range anxiety knocked any full EV out of contention. Even though I would love to go full EV.

Having rented Teslas occasionally in the past, I think range anxiety is not a big deal if you have a Tesla. The supercharger network really is that impressive and seemingly getting better all the time. Everything else is a reliability and availability crap shoot.

So we ended up leasing the 50e. We will see where the non-Tesla infrastructure is in 3 years. Hopefully by then I will have solar and the NACS standardization + multi-OEM charger rollout will make the infrastructure reliable enough.

In the meantime the 50e has been good. We have nearly 3000 miles and have filled it up twice largely due to a road trip. And I actually think the BMW’s highway automation is better than that of Tesla’s autopilot FWIW. Hate the wheel jiggling thing on the rentals I’ve had.

Good luck!!!
I believe that you have made a wise decision between the two.
Appreciate 2
cdhowell127.50
      09-02-2023, 02:24 PM   #6
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

"+ falcon wing door (i don't have kids, so it's mostly just a very cool feature for friends and family)" - are they still cool? They were very cool when X was released first time. I wouldn't call them very cool now.

And I agree about X not being a luxury car. Big difference in quality between Tesla and luxury brands.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2023, 02:25 PM   #7
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

You forgot maintenance part, Model X will be much easier and cheaper.

I drove many long trips and for Tesla charging is simple and easy, you do have to stop for 20-30 minutes, I just use that time for bathroom break and stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywxxbear View Post
with recent price cut, model x LR can be had for 72500 after tax and referral, plus destination.

I know i'm asking this on a X5 forum but still love to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machop View Post
You forgot maintenance part, Model X will be much easier and cheaper.

I drove many long trips and for Tesla charging is simple and easy, you do have to stop for 20-30 minutes, I just use that time for bathroom break and stretch.
I do agree with the maintenance part. Less thing to do on drive chain, which is the bulk of them. Other aspects such as brake, suspension, they are about the same.

Without kids, 20-30 min charging is fine. With kids tho, their bathroom break, hunger for food, They are never line up with a charging schedule. The reality is charging stops are still needed. Other break stops are separate. While we had the 85d, we have done trips between SF to Los Angeles. A typical 6 hour drives turn out to be more like 9hrs. It also depends on the route. SF to Tahoe, or Yosemite, or mono lake, charging is painful.
cptcolo103.50
      09-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #9
cdhowell
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e / Tesla Model Y

Quote:

I was first wanting to get a model x because of 7 seat (don't NEED it, but very good to have when family visit every once in a while), but it was too expensive. so I started to look at 5 seater and landed on the 50e. With recent price cut, model x 5 seater became cheaper than x5, even 7 seater is cheaper if we only look at msrp and considering options I wanted on the x5. Initial thought after hearing about the price drop is that model x sounds like a bargain and no brainer. but after sleeping on it, and think through the pros and cons, i'm not so sure any more.

I had a deposit on 50e, and my build comes out to be 9% off at around 77500 ish, so right now the 2 car are back to roughly the same price bracket again.

I just put down a deposit on model x as well, so now I have a month to decide which one I ultimately want to take delivery of.

Rented model x for a day, and test drove the 50e, my comparison so far:
1. drivetrain
model x, bev
+ all power all the time
+ no need to go to gas station, ever
- find charger on long road trip

x5, phev
+ nice b58 tone
+ gas car like regular ICE on long road trip
- less power unless having ICE kicked in
  • - needing to go to gas station the more time you want power and "fun"
Quote:
To me, this is about equal, slightly favor PHEV because wife hates the idea of having to find charger on the go (we never had EV before) b58 notes and the insane acceleration of model x LR both are great, but might want to enjoy [...]
Im switching to an X5e from a Tesla. My lease ends this month and im not going back to Tesla for now. A few reasons based on my past 3 years of Tesla life, just quick blurbs:
  • Ride is loud, uncomfortable
  • Maintenance is an issue, Tesla does not have the network yet to service when something goes wrong. I’ve had to wait 2-3 days for mine to be towed at least twice, then had to rent a car to drive to the location that had capacity for it sometimes 100+ miles away.
  • Non-Tesla tire service centers don’t have the expertise are are often “scared” to change or rotate tires - Tesla service can’t always find help when you have a flat.
  • Systems are finicky on the touch screen and very distracting
  • Battery stress - ultimately there are not enough locations to charge on the road, and it’s often time consuming to stop wait and charge. It’s a constant stress, when traveling to think about where you’re going and where you need to charge, and if you have enough charge. It can be very disruptive.
  • You can never talk to anyone at Tesla, everything is there an app for messaging and text, it can be very frustrating, they don’t have the infrastructure yet to support all the drivers on the road.
  • Battery in the winter is basically cut in half and I’m in the south.

I’m looking forward to the 50e, I’ll have the best of both worlds and the backing of a more established brand.
Appreciate 3
rexus300155.00
RNorb242.00
      09-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #10
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I only have a model Y. So not sure from ride and comfortable leve, model X will be much better. I know X5 is much better than MY on ride and features.

I do agree 20-30 minutes stop is longer than filling up gas, but it doesn’t bother me. I found myself needing to take a break after a few hours driving anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With multiple manufacturers adopting the charging plug initiated by Tesla over the next few years, there will be more competition for those charging stations. This could end up being a negative for Tesla and Tesla owners. While there is a decent structure for charging along major highways, they're still not great if your trip takes you off of the beaten path. And, at least for now, many of the Tesla superchargers mean getting off of the Interstate to access...may not be far, but not like finding gas stations directly along your route.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 05:28 PM   #12
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

The comments about range anxiety and charging wait times are overblown in this thread. If you road trip regularly, say every few week or each month, it’s not ideal. However, once per quarter? Charging is a non-issue. Take a 10 minute walk and your heart will thank you and you’ll be refreshed for the next leg of the journey.

I drove to Utah from SF and it was a 12 hour drive for 750 miles including charging stops. Auto pilot drove the whole thing for me. Longest charge was in Baker at 36 minutes. Most of the other charges were 15-18 minutes. Only once did I have to wait-a shocking 4 minutes.

Maintenance in 26k miles has been washer fluid and tires. The latter of which I changed for something sportier and not because it was truly needed. The seats are comfortable. Car is equally as quiet as Lexus ES350.

Range is about 2 miles per percentage so a reliable 160 miles between charges when using the 15-80% charging strategy.

The only pitfall of MX is accessing off the beaten path areas such as Mono Lake and traveling the cuts of the desert areas. If those are the areas you like to go often, probably better to have PHEV.

Lastly, if you’re one to short trip your car or drive around with dogs, the dog mode and preconditioning is excellent. No warm up and no engine to worry about driving “cold”. I can literally fully throttle out of the drive way with nearly zero consequence. Try that in an ICE.

For me, I am still interested in either X50e or X7. I want the quietest, most comfortable SUV I can get outside of the GM Yukon or Escalade. The MX at 72,500+TTL is going to be hard to pass up as it will have a cheaper operating cost and is just a fantastic piece of technology.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:04 PM   #13
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I have a 2020 model s with the adaptive air suspension and the ride is extremely comfortable. I would think model X would be equally comfortable so I wouldn’t worry about comfort. Loudness wise I feel it’s not that quiet so X5 may be quieter - though I do see posts here that complain about road and tire noise but not sure what their references are
There’s absolutely no range anxiety whatsoever with the Tesla because of the amazing supercharging network and a great integration of the car with the infrastructure. We have done multiple long distance trips one a 1200+ round trip and there’s no issue in finding chargers. Having said that whenever we go for 500+ miles round trip of late we are taking my wife’s gasoline car. The charging times do add up and after a few trips where the initial excitement of super charging dies down the charging stops can get annoying and tiresome.
So if you are taking many long distance trips that is one thing to consider especially if you have only one car or if you are thinking of going all EV.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:11 PM   #14
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

After spending a bunch of time in my brothers Tesla, i would never buy one. It truly is a horrible car. The suspension is just awful and makes me physically sick. Inside, it all looks cheap and the seats are horrible and spongy.

Windscreen wipers that never seem to work. Broken Tesla chargers and long waiting lines over holidays are just some of things i've experienced.

And then there is the exterior styling, or lack of it. Generic. They all look the same.
Appreciate 2
cobramite1229.00
      09-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #15
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifix View Post
I have a 2020 model s with the adaptive air suspension and the ride is extremely comfortable. I would think model X would be equally comfortable so I wouldn’t worry about comfort. Loudness wise I feel it’s not that quiet so X5 may be quieter - though I do see posts here that complain about road and tire noise but not sure what their references are
There’s absolutely no range anxiety whatsoever with the Tesla because of the amazing supercharging network and a great integration of the car with the infrastructure. We have done multiple long distance trips one a 1200+ round trip and there’s no issue in finding chargers. Having said that whenever we go for 500+ miles round trip of late we are taking my wife’s gasoline car. The charging times do add up and after a few trips where the initial excitement of super charging dies down the charging stops can get annoying and tiresome.
So if you are taking many long distance trips that is one thing to consider especially if you have only one car or if you are thinking of going all EV.
There is a couple here in our high rise who will tell you multiple horror stories about road trips in their Tesla that they lasted less than a year with. Probably a cool vehicle for local driving but long distance treks, forget about it and there are many who will agree with that statement.
EVs are great for some of us but they are clearly and most definetly not the ultimate vehicle for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #16
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

The X is a good value right now. But I’ve done the Tesla thing and have no interest in owning another one. Poor build quality, poor service experiences. Unbelievably bad UI and controls. Charging network isn’t nearly as good as people say—I can’t remember more than once or twice when I actually got stated charging rate from a supercharger.

If I were to do a pure EV right now, and put up with all the charging and range issues, it would be from Rivian.
Appreciate 1
cdhowell127.50
      09-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #17
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Agree with the above two. EV isn’t for everyone, not yet. I have tried, and it isn’t it for our life stage or life style.
cobramite1229.00
      09-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

An EV as an only vehicle in most of the USA isn't that great of an idea IMHO. Now, if you have two or more vehicles, having one can be viable. Prior to switching to my 45e, I had an ICE and a BEV. The BEV got used most of the time, but the ICE was used on longer trips or if I needed to carry more (the BEV was an i3, which was designed as a city vehicle, not a long-distance tourer). While it had a CCS connection, I never actually felt the need to pay to use it, so I don't know if it actually worked! Did level 2 most of the time, with an occasional level 1, mostly to verify it worked.

Last edited by jad03060; 09-02-2023 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:36 PM   #19
cobramite
Banned
Rep

There are plans for EV muscle cars coming soon with in excess of 1,000 HP.
That would be some serious fun for a 3rd or 4th vehicle with or without the sound many of us have come to expect with hot rod stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 06:48 PM   #20
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhowell View Post
  • Battery stress - ultimately there are not enough locations to charge on the road, and it’s often time consuming to stop wait and charge. It’s a constant stress, when traveling to think about where you’re going and where you need to charge, and if you have enough charge. It can be very disruptive.
In California, the supercharger rate is .58kWh during peak hours. After doing some math, the ModelXLR basically has the same economy as my LCI 40i if you’re road tripping or commuting and subject to these charging rates. Home charging rates are barely better (.37-.46kWh off peak, .45-.54kWh peak) or you could spend several thousand dollars on a solar system to cover you. It all seems like added hassle for little in return. I just don’t see the point as a Californian…. I’m at the gas station for 5 minutes every 500 to 600 miles. Nothing could be more convenient.
Appreciate 2
cdhowell127.50
cobramite1229.00
      09-02-2023, 06:51 PM   #21
cdhowell
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e / Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
In California, the supercharger rate is .58kWh during peak hours. After doing some math, the ModelXLR basically has the same economy as my LCI 40i if you’re road tripping or commuting and subject to these charging rates. Home charging rates are barely better (.37-.46kWh off peak, .45-.54kWh peak) or you could spend several thousand dollars on a solar system to cover you. It all seems like added hassle for little in return. I just don’t see the point as a Californian…. I’m at the gas station for 5 minutes every 500 to 600 miles. Nothing could be more convenient.

I’m in SC where it’s actually much cheaper to charge, electrify is cheap. However the Tesla super charger network in SC, NC and GA is slim pickings and can also have waits in high destination areas, like beaches. There are no charging locations in the mountains. I have to rent a car, lol.
Appreciate 2
Giggler408.00
cptcolo103.50
      09-02-2023, 07:26 PM   #22
PacShakur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Eff Elon Musk, enough said. Also stopping to charge at random places waiting to charge, you are sitting suck for random acts of violence. Hard pass.

Another thing, colder climates range is reduced.
Appreciate 5
mattsrs674.50
cdhowell127.50
sbc-yyc86.50
admranger2998.00