ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bandido View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I think my car is equipped with the option 2 but maybe I'm wrong. If I remember last summer in french jammed highways, I could drive automaticaly during 3-5 minutes, under 30-40 km/h, without touching the steering wheel. I will test it when the traffic jam will be back.
You definitely don't have it. Even if you had the feature (5AR) it wouldn't work in France or any other EU country as its blocked by GPS location and NAV.

Even those with a working eTJA couldn't use this feature in the EU.
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      04-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #90
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
You definitely don't have it. Even if you had the feature (5AR) it wouldn't work in France or any other EU country as its blocked by GPS location and NAV.
My theory on what people are experiencing when they think they are driving hands-free is that the time interval for requiring the wheel to be touched is not fixed but rather algorithm based. The lower the speed the longer you have to touch the wheel and braking/stops also alter that time interval so in slow stop and go traffic you can go much longer without touching the wheel than you would at normal highway speeds.

Only eTJA will give you truly hands-free driving when it is available and activated.
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      04-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #91
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 30D M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
My theory on what people are experiencing when they think they are driving hands-free is that the time interval for requiring the wheel to be touched is not fixed but rather algorithm based. The lower the speed the longer you have to touch the wheel and braking/stops also alter that time interval so in slow stop and go traffic you can go much longer without touching the wheel than you would at normal highway speeds.

Only eTJA will give you truly hands-free driving when it is available and activated.
Yes, totally agreed with that.

This afternoon, I will made a final test in a higway at max 40 Km/h with 5AR, just to check if a third assist option appears. Then, I'll remove 5AR from my FA if useless.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #92
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Yep. My experience with the active lane assist is that the "clock" to touch the steering wheel resets if the car comes to a complete stop. My morning commute would consist on very bad stop and go. It could be minutes before I would have to touch the steering wheel again. This is all assuming the attention camera acknowledges you're still looking at the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #93
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:

This afternoon, I will made a final test in a higway at max 40 Km/h with 5AR, just to check if a third assist option appears. Then, I'll remove 5AR from my FA if useless.
Just adding 5AR to your FA wont do anything. You need to VO Code SAS and HU_MGU, or FDL code a couple of options.

VO Coding will wipe your current coding so you'll need to redo that if you have any.

It 'shouldn't' work. Not because the coding isn't active, but because there is another layer of security that checks the region your car is actually in. The whole of the EU is blocked, but not sure about Switzerland so it could work when enabled.

It's hard to get it to activate so don't give up on it if it doesn't work first time. Leave it active, wont do any harm, and you never know ....

Also it needs to be 40 MPH or lower (not km/h), must be on a highway with wide lanes, must be following another car
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #94
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

I can confirm this. No third option in Belgium neither in France during my ski trip. Didn't test it in the Netherlands Germany or Austria.

I was looking for the eTJA option too but never managed to activate it. I only have active cruise controle with or without steering assist.

I tested it driving 30 - 40 km/h in a traffic jam on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #95
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 30D M

Nope. Nothing appends in Switzerland higways near Geneva after adding FA 5AR and coding MGU +SAS with engine on. Driving in highway traffic, around between 40-50Km/h, two painted lanes.

I will remove 5AR and restore CAF files.

By the way, is there a tool, like old NcdCafdTool, to compare NCD files ? Could be usefull.
Appreciate 0