BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

7/2019.53 Software version + iOS Music Playback: No Good

Got the 7/2019.53 update applied to our X5 yesterday. We were previously running a March release and my dealer had previously advised holding off on other updates because they were experiencing frequent issue.

With yesterday’s update, I was hoping that most if not all of the myriad problems we have been having with iDrive and electronics in the car since we got it in November would finally be corrected.

It is too early to tell about other issues (like functions disappearing, B.C. Button not working, etc) but I can definitively report that, at least in our car, the usability of iOS devices for music playback outside of CarPlay has gone from buggy and annoying to basically wholly non-functional.

Previously, using the second-to-latest generation iPod Touch, the scroll wheel browsing did not work “Please wait...” (forever) and the device would randomly be set to repeat by the car for a start cycle. it was necessary to either physically toggle it off on the device, or wait until the next time you were in the car when it possibly returned to normal.

We also tried using an iPod Classic with the same library. That would work properly for a bit—you could browse with the scroll wheel, etc. But, eventually it would just stop being picked up by the car entirely.

(Using a thumb drive didn’t work, either, as the car only saw some of the music despite everything being there and visible when plugged into other cars and devices)

Fast forward to yesterday’s update:

Now it usually just won’t see the device at all, for either of them. It either says “No Audio files” or just does nothing. Unplugging the device and plugging it back in eventually causes it to be picked up by the car, until it stops working again while driving or the next time you start the car. This is consistent for both the iPod Touch and iPod Classic. Scroll works on the Classic (when it is being picked up by the car). It still does not work on the Touch.

Anyone else seeing this?

Why can’t BMW make something that works perfectly in my 2018 540 and in pretty much every other car I’ve owned or been in work in this car?!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Mods should move this post to dedicated threads: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653936
Appreciate 0