buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
Ditto - option is not there on mine. Who does one email about this kind of stuff?
Could it be because we drive on the wrong side of the road? I assume the software must have a lot of things to test before releasing this on the road...
      08-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #68
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
Ditto - option is not there on mine. Who does one email about this kind of stuff?
Could it be because we drive on the wrong side of the road? I assume the software must have a lot of things to test before releasing this on the road...
No. It works on 2+ carriage roads so the side is irrelevant. It's also used in the UK on other BMW models.

I have it enabled on UK roads and it works as expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #69
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Update: What you describe I would never call seamless. It occurs to me now that there could be software version differences and/or the behaviour might be affected by other settings such as the sensitivity of the lane departure warning/intervention settings. We might need to document all of that in our respective setups to get to the bottom of this.
Old thread but I think I've got to the bottom of this.

There are 2 versions of the Automatic Lane Change on the G05:
- Version 1.0, included with i-step 03/2019 and earlier
This version requires press and hold of the indicator stalk, slow to respond and not very intelligent on how to address its own speed in flow of traffic

- Version 2.0, included with i-step 07/2019 and later
Single brief press of the indicator stalk, instant movement into lane if safe to do so. Queues the request for a few seconds and then moves when safe. Intelligently adjusts the speed of the car to match target driving speed

I tested version 1.0, after running 2.0 for a couple of weeks, and it was awful.

I see your point now - I never really noticed how sluggish it was until after they had done it properly with v2.0.
Appreciate 3
LexxM31697.50
buze132.00
      12-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #70
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by archivedaccount View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Update: What you describe I would never call seamless. It occurs to me now that there could be software version differences and/or the behaviour might be affected by other settings such as the sensitivity of the lane departure warning/intervention settings. We might need to document all of that in our respective setups to get to the bottom of this.
Old thread but I think I've got to the bottom of this.

There are 2 versions of the Automatic Lane Change on the G05:
- Version 1.0, included with i-step 03/2019 and earlier
This version requires press and hold of the indicator stalk, slow to respond and not very intelligent on how to address its own speed in flow of traffic

- Version 2.0, included with i-step 07/2019 and later
Single brief press of the indicator stalk, instant movement into lane if safe to do so. Queues the request for a few seconds and then moves when safe. Intelligently adjusts the speed of the car to match target driving speed

I tested version 1.0, after running 2.0 for a couple of weeks, and it was awful.

I see your point now - I never really noticed how sluggish it was until after they had done it properly with v2.0.
Closing the loop. Per our archived unnamed member, whom had been on me to try again and then comment on the ALC operation updates after 3/2019.xx :-) ...

ALC on my recent update to 11/2019.40 is WAY better than before, to the point where I haven't been compelled to turn it off again (yet). I still think I do a better job myself mostly because a) I am consistent since I am self aware, and b) I am aware of my intents vs ALC has to extrapolate my intents, but it is definitely now good enough to leave on and use.

Nice to see a clear and unambiguous technology improvement with a software update for a change.
      04-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #71
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 30D M

Hello,

In Switzerland, all automatic stuff about taken control of the steering wheel are disable, except park assist.

My car was updated to 03/2020.24. before I coded the car and it worked. But now, I don't remember where I found the lines to code ALC.

Something like that?

HU_MGU\Spurwechselassistent gen_1
BDC_BODY (7083)\Spurwechsel_Assistent aktiv
SASx (42C1)\C_SWA_Vorhanden enabled

I'm sure I forget something? Any ideas ?

Thanks and regards.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #72
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bandido View Post
Hello,

In Switzerland, all automatic stuff about taken control of the steering wheel are disable, except park assist.

My car was updated to 03/2020.24. before I coded the car and it worked. But now, I don't remember where I found the lines to code ALC.

Something like that?

HU_MGU\Spurwechselassistent gen_1
BDC_BODY (7083)\Spurwechsel_Assistent aktiv
SASx (42C1)\C_SWA_Vorhanden enabled

I'm sure I forget something? Any ideas ?

Thanks and regards.
Nope that's it.

Alternatively you could just remove 8TR from FA and VO Code those 3 ECU. Won't get wiped then, but small risk of dealer noticing if there's ever a related issue to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:13 AM   #73
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep

It works. But, I think I lost something in Driving/Steering Assistant. Now, I have Lane Change Assist but before I had a second setting… but I don't remember which one.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:10 AM   #74
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It works. But, I think I lost something in Driving/Steering Assistant. Now, I have Lane Change Assist but before I had a second setting… but I don't remember which one.

Thanks.
You should have 'Driver Attention Camera' ticked
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #75
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Hello,

Weird ! Since I removed 8TR, Driver Attention Camera option dissapears from Driving/Steering Assistant but still appears in General Settings and I can select or deselect it.

I suppose this function still works but I don't know how to test it. I hope 8TR is not related to this security system.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #76
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

Weird ! Since I removed 8TR, Driver Attention Camera option dissapears from Driving/Steering Assistant but still appears in General Settings and I can select or deselect it.

I suppose this function still works but I don't know how to test it. I hope 8TR is not related to this security system.

Regards.
I code 8tr out and the driver attention camera is still there.

You could put it back and vo code, and see if it comes back? Then just fdl code the 3 settings, but I suspect it's something else
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:20 AM   #77
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Thanks ifr,

With 8TR

Without 8TR

Without 8TR in Driving menu

Crossing alert

Driver attention camera

Everything seems present but in different menus. Correct ?

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #78
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Everything seems present but in different menus. Correct ?

Regards.
Well it doesn't look like you have lost anything by removing 8TR, but your base configuration is different to mine.

I have 'Driver Attention Camera' checkbox under 'Steering Assistant', both with and without 8TR.

Maybe it has something to do with 5AR - extended traffic jam assistant?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:21 AM   #79
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Thanks. I don't have 5AR. I have 5AU which includes the amazing Traffic Jam Assistant I think.

This is my FA list:

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:47 AM   #80
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I don't have 5AR. I have 5AU which includes the amazing Traffic Jam Assistant I think.

This is my FA list:

5AU is Driving Assistant Pro
5AR is the extended TJA which allows indefinite hands free driving up to 40mph on highways
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:23 AM   #81
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
5AR is the extended TJA which allows indefinite hands free driving up to 40mph on highways
Yes, my car has the extended TJA who works fine on all trafic jam hands free, not only highways. For this reason I supposed TJA is included in 5AU in Switzerland because I have not 5AR in my FA.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #82
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting as that's not how BMW have designed the capability. The only way to get extended TJA aka Assisted Driving Plus is by the addition of 5AR. The coding cannot activate without that and that's how it has to be ordered. I can see the coding and there is no exception for Switzerland. The only region that is treated a little differently is Japan.

The system presents as shown in Turtle Boys post below. You need to acknowledge the prompt and it only works on highways/motorways. The system I 'think' you are referring to is Assisted Driving which can appear to be hands free for an extensive period, but not indefinitely. Unless you are saying yours allows you to keep your hands off the wheel for 10 minutes or more while still moving on any road? Not even Tesla allows that, unless you have an apple or orange handy

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1096
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #83
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Interesting as that's not how BMW have designed the capability. The only way to get extended TJA aka Assisted Driving Plus is by the addition of 5AR. The coding cannot activate without that and that's how it has to be ordered. I can see the coding and there is no exception for Switzerland. The only region that is treated a little differently is Japan.

The system presents as shown in Turtle Boys post below. You need to acknowledge the prompt and it only works on highways/motorways. The system I 'think' you are referring to is Assisted Driving which can appear to be hands free for an extensive period, but not indefinitely. Unless you are saying yours allows you to keep your hands off the wheel for 10 minutes or more while still moving on any road? Not even Tesla allows that, unless you have an apple or orange handy

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1096
Yes - I think a lot of people are not aware that there are 3 "driver assist" modes.

1) ACC Stop&Go - The car will maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front. Slowing down to a stop if need be.

2) ACC Stop&Go WITH Steering Assistant - this builds off of #1 and adds the car will maintain the lane. The drawback is you have to touch the wheel periodically, depending on the traffic it could be every 10 or so seconds or over a minute (if its bad stop and go).

3) ACC Stop&Go WITH Steering Assistnat AND Traffic Jam Assistant - This builds off of #2 by adding the ability to keep your hands off the steering wheel for extended periods of time without the need to keep touching the wheel. This only works on highways with "limited" access while going less than 40mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #84
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Yes - I think a lot of people are not aware that there are 3 "driver assist" modes.

1) ACC Stop&Go - The car will maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front. Slowing down to a stop if need be.

2) ACC Stop&Go WITH Steering Assistant - this builds off of #1 and adds the car will maintain the lane. The drawback is you have to touch the wheel periodically, depending on the traffic it could be every 10 or so seconds or over a minute (if its bad stop and go).

3) ACC Stop&Go WITH Steering Assistnat AND Traffic Jam Assistant - This builds off of #2 by adding the ability to keep your hands off the steering wheel for extended periods of time without the need to keep touching the wheel. This only works on highways with "limited" access while going less than 40mph.
Exactly that, and it's only available in a few very specific regions unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #85
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Thanks for the explanation.

I think my car is equipped with the option 2 but maybe I'm wrong. If I remember last summer in french jammed highways, I could drive automaticaly during 3-5 minutes, under 30-40 km/h, without touching the steering wheel. I will test it when the traffic jam will be back.

Note: I have not a third assist mode explained by turtleboy. My car drives like this but until 30-40 km/h then I need to touch th steering wheel

Last edited by 007bandido; 04-08-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #86
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Note: I have not a third assist mode explained by turtleboy. My car drives like this but until 30-40 km/h then I need to touch th steering wheel
If you are not choosing the Assisted Driving Plus mode then you Arte not in hands-free mode (Extended Traffic Jam Assist) but rather getting extended time using the regular cruise with steering/lane control. Under certain circumstances that is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #87
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
If you are not choosing the Assisted Driving Plus mode then you Arte not in hands-free mode (Extended Traffic Jam Assist) but rather getting extended time using the regular cruise with steering/lane control. Under certain circumstances that is possible.
What would those certain circumstances be? I have all the available options for my X7 and I have to put my hands on the wheel at least every few seconds before the steering wheel LEDs start flashing yellow at me. If I'm in Seattle stop and go traffic under 40 MPH then I don't have to touch the wheel at all until speeds go above 40 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #88
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
What would those certain circumstances be? I have all the available options for my X7 and I have to put my hands on the wheel at least every few seconds before the steering wheel LEDs start flashing yellow at me. If I'm in Seattle stop and go traffic under 40 MPH then I don't have to touch the wheel at all until speeds go above 40 MPH.
There is nothing official on those circumstances since it is just luck if it happens, I remember seeing a video someone took of getting extended hands-free time. Basically it was very slow stop and go.

What is supported/supposed to happen is that the third driving mode is displayed and once that is selected then the true hands-free mode is active.
Appreciate 0