BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #45
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

That for sure, if you keep it in the comfort setting it will be very comfortable.

What we would all like to know, but we are all just guessing is, which one offers sportier ride and better handling, DHP or Air suspension in Sport setting.

From what I read in this thread, in sport mode, M50i offers sportier Air suspension than the standard X5.

DHP is supposed to to keep the car flat and offer the best handling, but on the other hand, Air suspension in Sport mode makes the car 0.4" lower than the one with DHP. This could make a significant difference...

Air Suspension can be very sporty, just take a look at Panamera and Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #46
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbimer View Post
All: I'm getting ready to become a bimer for the first time!!! Excited...planning on ordering a 2020 X5 with M Sport package. Thanks for all the great info. Based on the posts above, it seems the 2 axle air suspension will help make the ride more comfortable for passengers...am I understanding this correctly?
Yes, it will make it more comfortable. It also allows you to lower the car after you have parked it. That makes it easier to exit and enter the car for people who are not tall.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #47
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

I have Air, if I did it all over I might have went for the DHP.. not 100% sold yet.

It is nice being able to lower the car on exit, wish there was a setting for it to do it automatically.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #48
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
That for sure, if you keep it in the comfort setting it will be very comfortable.

What we would all like to know, but we are all just guessing is, which one offers sportier ride and better handling, DHP or Air suspension in Sport setting.

From what I read in this thread, in sport mode, M50i offers sportier Air suspension than the standard X5.

DHP is supposed to to keep the car flat and offer the best handling, but on the other hand, Air suspension in Sport mode makes the car 0.4" lower than the one with DHP. This could make a significant difference...

I never understood the obsession with air suspension. I just do not see reasons why. I see drawbacks clearly
- overly complicated mechanically
- high weight
- poor reliability
- slow to change

The only advantage i see is - towing. If you tow a boat - yes it will level the rear to certain extent - but if it's a real heavy boat - you still need a real truck with leaf springs.

To me the performance in x5 M50 suspension goes in his order (high to low)

- M suspension - highest performance (especially with M dif standard)
- DHP pack with active roll and active steer (gives more comfortable features - makes car feel a bit artificial)
- air suspension - most comfort - least performance.

You do not have to go far - look at any M car - including x5 and x3. non of them have air, integrated steering or DHp or any other gizmos. Just a properly tuned springs and dampers.

One can argue that even active suspension is i detriment for performance.
M2 or real coil over suspension on any M car works best.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #49
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
I never understood the obsession with air suspension. I just do not see reasons why.
You seem to be coming at this with only on road performance in mind. There’s more to the X5 than that. If you wanted max performance, you’d get another vehicle entirely, like an M5.

The air suspension has potential performance benefits that can’t be done with a conventional suspension (i.e. lowering the vehicle automatically in sport mode) but also has benefits that suit a luxury SUV. Greater comfort in comfort mode and the ability to get higher ground clearance for off-road and deep snow. There’s also the ability to lower the vehicle for kids and smaller adults as well as loading heavy items.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
      09-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #50
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
This is confusing, for example my actual F15 which I'm trading in next month for my custom build 2020 M Sport G05 has this option code "2VM Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort"
As far as I know (almost 4 years of using my car) it doesn't lowers the suspension , my dealer told me that my car has a rear axle air suspension and when cornering hard, it compensates the body roll, is that true?
      09-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #51
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
This is confusing, for example my actual F15 which I'm trading in next month for my custom build 2020 M Sport G05 has this option code "2VM Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort"
As far as I know (almost 4 years of using my car) it doesn't lowers the suspension , my dealer told me that my car has a rear axle air suspension and when cornering hard, it compensates the body roll, is that true?
I believe it is true. The F15 rear axle air suspension includes dynamic damping, so I think your dealer was telling the truth. It also allows for load leveling, but cannot perform the vehicle height adjustment that the 2 axle air suspension on the G05 can.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #52
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I believe it is true. The F15 rear axle air suspension includes dynamic damping, so I think your dealer was telling the truth. It also allows for load leveling, but cannot perform the vehicle height adjustment that the 2 axle air suspension on the G05 can.
Thanks for clearing that up, so in my case that I'm just getting the M Sport "S2VFA ADAPTIVE M SUSPENSION" is it going to be too hard against my F15?
      09-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #53
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, so in my case that I'm just getting the M Sport "S2VFA ADAPTIVE M SUSPENSION" is it going to be too hard against my F15?
I’m not sure, but I think in general, the G05 rides better than the F15. The air suspension on the G05 will definitely be more comfortable than the F15, but the Adaptive M Suspension may not be any worse than what you currently drive. Maybe others who have more experience with the different suspension options can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #54
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
I have Air, if I did it all over I might have went for the DHP.. not 100% sold yet.
I'm curious as to why?

FWIW, I've found DHP irritating since I don't like the feel of IAS and eARS is nice in the corners but the nose-dive on braking and tail squat on acceleration was not to my liking.

Personally I'll generally lean towards the Adaptive M Suspensions on all BMW's but in the G05, I'm considering the Off-Road Package for the M Sport Differential alone. Unfortunately that also means getting the 2-axle air suspension which feels a little soft but the Limited Slip Differential will be welcome in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #55
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
I'm curious as to why?

FWIW, I've found DHP irritating since I don't like the feel of IAS and eARS is nice in the corners but the nose-dive on braking and tail squat on acceleration was not to my liking.

Personally I'll generally lean towards the Adaptive M Suspensions on all BMW's but in the G05, I'm considering the Off-Road Package for the M Sport Differential alone. Unfortunately that also means getting the 2-axle air suspension which feels a little soft but the Limited Slip Differential will be welcome in the snow.
Just get an m50. Limited slip,is standard equipment and the suspensiom is tuned better vs standard M adaptive in m spot pack

On the 40 the only way to get LSD is the off road pack.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #56
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxr184@hotmail.com View Post
Hi.

I am about to order a new X5 and was excited about the Air Suspension option for just $1000. My wife is 5’6” and says that the X5 is a bit tall compared to a sedan making it harder to get in. I was hoping that the air suspension would make it perfect hight, but before I go for it, I have the following questions:
1. Is it more trouble than it’s worth? I would like this car to last me 8 years/150,000 miles. What are the chances that the suspension will give me troubles during that time. How costly are those repairs at the dealership (1000, 2000, 3000)
2. How does it work. Do you simply lower it before you get out and it will stay lowered for you to get in (rising automatically when you start driving).
3. How much lower will it be compared to an X5 with a regular suspension

I guess the bottom line is. If you were doing a custom build and were on the shorter side, would you get it?

Thanks
I am 5’8” and I find my bmw more difficult to get in an out of than my Toyota Highlander. However, I also have the seat set to the highest height, so that doesn’t help.

My mother-in-law, who is 90, and tiny, has quite a time getting into the passenger seat, and I have that set to a lower height. If you and your wife are getting older and finding things like this more of a challenge, I’d go for the air suspension. I kinda wish I had it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #57
sugarbimer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

My thanks to everyone for the responses. I got the answer I was looking for. My in-laws are in their '80s; also my wife is not too tall. So for a more comfortable ride plus the ability to lower the car, I will add the air suspension. For $150 extra (over the the M-Sport package price) it is well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #58
Johnmcp73
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M50d

Air suspension on the g05 in sport mode is nowhere near good enough imho for a car with 400bhp - drives like you’re on a boat - too much lean and pitching back and fwd etc. Even stiffened up its far off the handing I was hoping for.

Have driven 6000 miles in it and hate it more and more every day.

Have firms looking to see if it can be stiffened but if not am going to swap out into the sq8 with active roll stabilisation... audi have nailed it with air - bmw shouldn’t have bothered.

My opinion obviously but I would go near it.... is standard on the lower powered versions for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #59
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post

It is nice being able to lower the car on exit, wish there was a setting for it to do it automatically.
Had it on my Q7, and no option for lowering automatically either. The rationale given was that at maximum height, it's possible to park over something you really wouldn't want the car to lower itself onto without a conscious choice from the driver. A big rock comes to mind, but I'm sure there are other scenarios. Made sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #60
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

RRS has the option to drop automatically. I liked it but it actually didn't look as impressive larked up in lowest mode so I left it as was. Will likely come I later years as an iDrive option. Is handy.

Up on stilts here
Attached Images