BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #45
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

It only works on some roads when functional conditions are met. I imagine they're listed somewhere in the Driver's manual. For instance, the feature works on 80% of a major road near me, but it consistently refuses to work on a particular stretch where multiple lanes merge and the speed limit reduces as you near a traffic signal; it's incredibly intelligent. I'd advise trying it on an interstate with ideal traffic conditions (and you can't have Active Driving Assistant Plus active).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #46
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
On 401, in normal/standard traffic, you would (deservedly) immediately get creamed from behind if you do that.

In any case, driving lessons are over, the OP has found the root cause of his issues :-).
Can't imagine driving the 401 in such dynamic conditions would warrant driving with cruise control on. The features usefulness is on long road trips where you're on cruise control and you need to overtake slower traffic without cutting off traffic in the left lane. Obviously if there's traffic in the left lane and you need to aggressively overtake the car in front you would bypass this feature and gun it. This feature is supposed to be leisurely.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #47
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
On 401, in normal/standard traffic, you would (deservedly) immediately get creamed from behind if you do that.

In any case, driving lessons are over, the OP has found the root cause of his issues :-).
Can't imagine driving the 401 in such dynamic conditions would warrant driving with cruise control on. The features usefulness is on long road trips where you're on cruise control and you need to overtake slower traffic without cutting off traffic in the left lane. Obviously if there's traffic in the left lane and you need to aggressively overtake the car in front you would bypass this feature and gun it. This feature is supposed to be leisurely.
Let's recall that this sub-discussion started from my assertion that the feature is not that valuable and works best when turned off. Clearly this discussion that is gradually reducing the apparent applicability of this feature is in support of that assertion.
      07-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #48
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
i believe you are meant to hold the turn indicator down for about 3/4 of a second and then release. it then should respond about a second later if it is safe to change lanes.
Isn't it country specific? Is this feature available in Australia?
I tried but never got it working.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:15 AM   #49
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Exactly, totally agreed.
It is working as it is designed.

Last edited by nosnoop; 07-23-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #50
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
It is possible.
Have you tried checking the online user manual or the Driver's Guide App in your phone? Those manuals (which uses your VIN) do not display sections not applicable to your car (unlike printed ones). You can check if it contains a section on "Lane Change Assistant". If it doesn't, it is likely not available in your car.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      07-23-2019, 06:21 AM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

Used it on the 401 two weeks ago without any problems. Granted it was a Saturday afternoon so traffic was lighter but wouldn’t hesitate to use it at other times.

Before I got the X5 I thought it would just be a gimmick but it actually a very useful feature as far as making things a little easier. We currently are about 3,300 miles into this trip and I would guess I used it for well over 90% of my lane changes in various traffic conditions. Obviously it is not a necessity, just another of many things in the X5 that makes driving a little easier/more comfortable/less stressful/etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #52
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

Used it on the 401 two weeks ago without any problems. Granted it was a Saturday afternoon so traffic was lighter but wouldn’t hesitate to use it at other times.

Before I got the X5 I thought it would just be a gimmick but it actually a very useful feature as far as making things a little easier. We currently are about 3,300 miles into this trip and I would guess I used it for well over 90% of my lane changes in various traffic conditions. Obviously it is not a necessity, just another of many things in the X5 that makes driving a little easier/more comfortable/less stressful/etc.
To each his own. But what I am saying for others is: turn it off for a while — makes ACC much more predictable, usable, and natural in the real world. I confirmed last night again that to be so, the system was clearly designed to work well (perhaps best) with manual lane changes.
      07-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #53
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Having auto lane change turned on or off should have no effect on the performance of ACC or the ability to make manual lane changes. Like you say, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #54
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
It's country specific - doesn't work in the UK either.

Easy check - CAR Settings-Driver assist-Driving-Steering Assist- if you only have the camera setting listed then its not available.

It's disappointing that it not available, as it would work really well on highways with Driver Assist mode engaged, while offering an extra level of safety.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      07-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #55
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Having auto lane change turned on or off should have no effect on the performance of ACC or the ability to make manual lane changes. Like you say, to each their own.
That is completely incorrect. I obviously meant ACC with lane tracking, not just ACC. If auto lane change is on, signalling activates it and it fights with you. Yes, you can overcome it, but that is nothing resembling smooth driving. With it off, I've described earlier what the system does and it is perfect.
      07-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
That is completely incorrect. I obviously meant ACC with lane tracking, not just ACC. If auto lane change is on, signalling activates it and it fights with you. Yes, you can overcome it, but that is nothing resembling smooth driving. With it off, I've described earlier what the system does and it is perfect.
Actually it was completely accurate. It could be that you missed the word "should" and that you are using your turn signals improperly in regards to both timing and position. Doesn't really matter though, do what you feel is best for your driving conditions, style and skill.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #57
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Auto lane change only activates when you push and hold in position.
If you want to signal without auto lane change, just push and release immediately for the 3 flashes (or whatever you set it to).
For longer signaling, you can also push past the resistance, auto lane change won't activate in this case, but you have to manually cancel the signaling.

Last edited by nosnoop; 07-23-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #58
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Auto lane change only activates when you push and hold in position.
If you want to signal without auto lane change, just push and release immediately for the 3 flashes (or whatever you set it to).
For longer signaling, you can also push past the resistance, auto lane change won't activate in this case, but you have to manually cancel the signaling.
Yes, I do know this, but the fraction of a second timing difference between push-and-release vs push-and-hold is something that I've not mastered in a number of weeks and am not willing to master under real driving conditions. If you get it wrong, the system does something other than expected and I want less of unexpected on the road. Hence my position.
      07-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #59
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

It works for me only on highways or wide roads with more then three lanes.

look what I found in owner manual:

Functional requirements:

▷ Depending on country specifications: driving on a road without pedestrians or cyclists a with physical barriers to oncoming traffic, such as crash barriers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #60
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Mine works like a champ where the number of lanes is static, AND there are no merging lanes. Of course the system is looking for adequate distance in the lane you desire to change into. I personally use it very routinely.
      07-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #61
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdexter View Post

Functional requirements:

▷ Depending on country specifications: driving on a road without pedestrians or cyclists a with physical barriers to oncoming traffic, such as crash barriers.
FWIW, also in Canada, auto lane change works fine for me on 2 lanes in each direction DIVIDED highways — 3 lanes not required.

But after a week of driving with ACC + lane keeping on, and auto-lane change off, I am telling you fellow forumites, that's the way to do it — the system was clearly carefully tuned for that use case. You have to try it to understand, but lane keep —> to lane change —> to lane keep again transition is just seamless in this setup.
      07-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #62
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
It is possible.
Have you tried checking the online user manual or the Driver's Guide App in your phone? Those manuals (which uses your VIN) do not display sections not applicable to your car (unlike printed ones). You can check if it contains a section on "Lane Change Assistant". If it doesn't, it is likely not available in your car.
Yes, you are right, checked my manual and option is not there.

Sad, why BMW haven't enabled it but available in GLE.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:23 AM   #63
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

Functional requirements:

FWIW, also in Canada, auto lane change works fine for me on 2 lanes in each direction DIVIDED highways — 3 lanes not required.

But after a week of driving with ACC + lane keeping on, and auto-lane change off, I am telling you fellow forumites, that's the way to do it — the system was clearly carefully tuned for that use case. You have to try it to understand, but lane keep —> to lane change —> to lane keep again transition is just seamless in this setup.
I'm confused by this. This is the opposite of my experience so I'm wondering if something is off in your setup.

I've used the system with ALC off for a few months. Using Assisted Driving mode with no ALC is anything but seamless. You indicate, move the steering wheel, then hold and wait in-lane until lane keep/assisted driving mode re-engages. This can take a few seconds and breaks the assisted driving flow.

With ALC enabled, again indicate, car moves itself into the lane, carries on driving with Assisted Driving still engaged, no break. Seamless.

Is that not your experience?

I don't use it in heavy competitive traffic as it takes too long to check it's safe to move, missing lane change opportunities us humans would go for, but in light to moderate traffic it works great.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #64
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Functional requirements:

I'm confused by this. This is the opposite of my experience so I'm wondering if something is off in your setup.

I've used the system with ALC off for a few months. Using Assisted Driving mode with no ALC is anything but seamless. You indicate, move the steering wheel, then hold and wait in-lane until lane keep/assisted driving mode re-engages. This can take a few seconds and breaks the assisted driving flow.

With ALC enabled, again indicate, car moves itself into the lane, carries on driving with Assisted Driving still engaged, no break. Seamless.

Is that not your experience?

I don't use it in heavy competitive traffic as it takes too long to check it's safe to move, missing lane change opportunities us humans would go for, but in light to moderate traffic it works great.
I think we're going to have to get to videos. But if I understood your experience correctly, then no, that is not my experience. With ALC off, signal and steer the lane change; about 2/3-3/4 into the new lane, the lane tracking kicks back in and aligns me in the new lane. That's what I experience and what I describe as seamless. There is no delay in lane tracking in the new lane — in fact my lane tracking takes over when I am almost there in the new lane. In other words, I don't even need to align/straighten myself in the new lane, the lane tracking does it for me.

I know this is hard to describe in words. I can try for a video, but would have to figure out a camera mount somehow.

Update: What you describe I would never call seamless. It occurs to me now that there could be software version differences and/or the behaviour might be affected by other settings such as the sensitivity of the lane departure warning/intervention settings. We might need to document all of that in our respective setups to get to the bottom of this.
      08-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #65
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Pretty sure this is region specific

Can someone who has it working check the following setting please - CAR-Settings-Driver Assistance-Driving-Steering Assistant

On my UK car I only have the 'driver attention camera' setting. There is no 'Lane Change Assistant'.

Anyone in the UK have this working? Wonder if it's some regulatory thing.
Ditto - option is not there on mine. Who does one email about this kind of stuff?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:38 AM   #66
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I emailed bmw UK who said it should have been available on my car.

However, I've coded it myself and I can confirm categorically that BMW have coded it out for the UK market in 2 places - England VO code and 8TR VO Code. Unless a future official code/firmware release changes that configuration, it will never work for us in the UK.

It's possible it's in 19-07 but I doubt it. Anyone in the UK have 19-07 and Auto Lane Change?

For what it's worth I've been using it for a month and it's a great feature.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 08-22-2019 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
buze132.00