Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I use my VIN to find the P/N's, I drive a 50i M Sport so yes it will work.
By the way, when I enter my VIN, I get nothing at all. Doesn't build confidence.
      06-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #24
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe BMWpartswholesale.com or one of the other vendors would be the best point of contact
By the way, BMWpartswholesale.com does not ship to Canada. In fact, I've checked several others and so far, no one ships to Canada. Besides the usual reasons, we know that BMW exercises tight geographical control over its product and it is entirely possible any US seller would be violating contract by shipping/selling outside US (I had to sign an non-export agreement when I picked up my car, nothing to do with any lease, I BS you not). So things are drastically not as simple as they seem.

Hence my position on BMW liability here ...
      06-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the extent of the damage that caused my 2200km old P-Zero RFTs to collapse after 8km. I am going to eventually have to hear a rational justification from Pirelli (and from BMW, for that matter) about their claims ...
BMW goes off what Pirelli says; run flats don't always work and I'm not a fan either.
And yet the justification by BMW for no spare available is "you don't need it, you have run flats". Not letting them off the hook with that.
the spare tire isn't anything glamorous and you can buy it, look up the P/B's needed and viola. I'm not defending them at all, there's simply more to the story than blaming X or Y
No, spare tire is not available for purchase in Canada. I demanded to order it prior to pickup and was told can't be done.

This is literally the response from my SA:

Quote:
Unfortunately we do not have a spare tire kit option available for you at this time. I have spoken to parts (and shared your forum post) but that isn't available here in Canada at the moment. My parts manager has made numerous previous inquiries regarding the same and we can update you when something becomes available. However, if I am understanding your use case correctly, I don't think you would want to be towing on a spare/space saver tire anyways. I would argue you are better off on a flat full size run flat.
you can look up the parts on real OEM, other people have done the same. If it's that big of a deal by all means I'll find them. I comply understand not having the option sucks, being angry isn't always the best solution. I've been there too, but in the end sometimes taking a step back and seeing what can be done helps.
One of the problems is that I have no idea whether the US-available spare works over the M Sport brake and, considering the second problem below, it quite a significant issue. I've asked here and no responses. Whom else to I ask?

Another problem is that the cost involved to get this imported into Canada from US at this point by official channels is truly ridiculous. Hence I've been asking for someone on the forum to help for a while without any bites at all.

But anyways, my sales contracts are with my Canadian dealer and BMW Canada, and there is a clear problem going on there (and it's not the dealer). I want BMW Canada to account for their claims and, likely dumbass, decisions. This isn't the first or only time.
I use my VIN to find the P/N's, I drive a 50i M Sport so yes it will work.

I believe BMWpartswholesale.com or one of the other vendors would be the best point of contact. They have people who post on here so I think finding an answer won't be hard.

If I came off the wrong way my bad, I have my own issues with BMW too but I love my car. Every OEM has dumb literature even though that doesn't make it right.

there shouldn't be any red tape while ordering a tire + tool kit, then again I don't know much about Canadian law
You're fine, no need to apologize. I am just slowly exposing the context of this ridiculous situation.

So your car has the big blue M Sport brakes? If that's the case, that helps.

The cost issue is that with ridiculous after delivery pricing, the exchange rate, the shipping, the duties, taxes and brokerage fees, I am likely looking at around $1600-1800 CAD in my hands — does that sound reasonable?
No, that doesn't sound reasonable. Yes, check my signature and click the link of my 50i, it's fully loaded with everything except night vision.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #26
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
You have a place in the US, correct? Maybe you should buy your next car there and just drive it to Canada. See if the government will let you register it there. Should be interesting.

I don’t blame you for being angry. I would be too. It’s ok to vent here.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #27
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Thanks natahoa.

AndroidRobot, unfortunately I am unconvinced that the part you've identified would fit over M Sport brakes. On closer inspection, it is listed as a 19" rim and from all other indication, even full size rims below 20" will not fit over those brakes. Have you ever tried yours on?
Attached Images

06-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #28
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks natahoa.

AndroidRobot, unfortunately I am unconvinced that the part you've identified would fit over M Sport brakes. On closer inspection, it is listed as a 19" rim and from all other indication, even full size rims below 20" will not fit over those brakes. Have you ever tried yours on?
I used my vin to pull it up and I have M Sport brakes and the spare tire kit. if my car wasn't in the shop I'd throw the spare on to show you.

perhaps someone else with the spare tire kit and M Sport brakes can chime in on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #29
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks natahoa.

I used my vin to pull it up and I have M Sport brakes and the spare tire kit. if my car wasn't in the shop I'd throw the spare on to show you.

perhaps someone else with the spare tire kit and M Sport brakes can chime in on this.
That would be extremely helpful. Anyone?

In the meantime: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ires/index.htm
      06-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #30
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks natahoa.

That would be extremely helpful. Anyone?

In the meantime: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ires/index.htm
I've had no issues with my run flats that I wouldn't have in normal tires even though I don't like them. They aren't any more susceptible to failing than a normal tire. The main difference has to do with thicker side walls, otherwise they are essentially the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #31
Krawling23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M5/20 Porsche GT4

wow, I have the standard 20' m sport wheel and I just checked my trunk, no spare. Now I'm worried..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #32
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Update on Pirelli Canada original equipment road hazard warranty claim and handling: after 9-10 weeks and constant prompting and escalation by my dealer, Pirelli came through and refunded the full amount of the replacement of the 2200km old punctured tire. That's a bit over $1000 CAD all-in, cheque just received (Pirelli compensate/refund the dealer, the dealer then refunds me). I didn't get any sense that the ridiculous delay was due to any claim-related hesitation, only that Pirelli claim process is grossly inefficient and thus just takes a very long time to get through the bureaucracy. Not happy with delay, but happy (as essentially always) with my dealer and with Pirelli for standing behind their claims.
      11-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #33
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

Quote:
Update on Pirelli Canada original equipment road hazard warranty claim and handling: after 9-10 weeks and constant prompting and escalation by my dealer, Pirelli came through and refunded the full amount of the replacement of the 2200km old punctured tire. That's a bit over $1000 CAD all-in, cheque just received (Pirelli compensate/refund the dealer, the dealer then refunds me). I didn't get any sense that the ridiculous delay was due to any claim-related hesitation, only that Pirelli claim process is grossly inefficient and thus just takes a very long time to get through the bureaucracy. Not happy with delay, but happy (as essentially always) with my dealer and with Pirelli for standing behind their claims.
Hi guys,
Today I received low pressure warning for rear left tire and found an screw in my one and half years old (20,000km) Pirelli RFT tire. As you see in the pic, it is inside the central tread.

Ive got an appointment with my dealer for next week but based on your experience do you think if it can be repaired or if I have to replace the whole tire?

if it's repairable who do you recommend in GTA?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dex05; 11-21-2020 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #34
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex05 View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,
Today I received low pressure warning for rear left tire and found an screw in my one and half years old (20,000km) Pirelli RFT tire. As you see in the pic, it is inside the central tread.

Ive got an appointment with my dealer for next week but based on your experience do you think if it can be repaired or if I have to replace the whole tire?

if it's repairable who do you recommend in GTA?
They will absolutely and definitely not repair it. Perhaps a side alley shop would, but no chance the dealer will repair an RFT as that's not allowed by the manufacturer. At 20K km, it is out of Pirelli warranty and likely worn enough that you will only be recommended to replace all 4 tires. Make whatever decisions are appropriate for you, but above is exactly what you're going to hear from dealer, no question.

I am in Waterloo and unfortunately have no suggestions for GTA. Strictly speaking, I don't really have any suggestions in Waterloo either (no one is particularly bad, but no one stands out as exceptional).
      11-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #35
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

Quote:
They will absolutely and definitely will not repair it. Perhaps a side alley shop would, but no chance the dealer will repair an RFT as that's not allowed by the manufacturer. At 20K km, it is out of Pirelli warranty and likely worn enough that you will only be recommended to replace all 4 tires. Make whatever decisions are appropriate you, but above is exactly what you're going to hear from dealer, no question.
Oh Damn! Do you think if they will accept to replace only one tire if I ask or I have to replace all 4?

Last edited by Dex05; 11-21-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #36
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex05 View Post
Quote:
They will absolutely and definitely will not repair it. Perhaps a side alley shop would, but no chance the dealer will repair an RFT as that's not allowed by the manufacturer. At 20K km, it is out of Pirelli warranty and likely worn enough that you will only be recommended to replace all 4 tires. Make whatever decisions are appropriate you, but above is exactly what you're going to hear from dealer, no question.
Oh Damn! Do you think if they will accept to replace only one tire if I ask or I have to replace all 4?
AWD are generally sensitive to differences in rotational circumference of the wheels as that puts a bias (vs neutral) on differentials. Because of this, when tires are worn, it is widely and strongly recommended (perhaps even car drivetrain warranty-voiding strongly, but I don't know what BMW and/or Canadian dealers' stance will be on the G05 platform) to replace all 4 tires if they are significantly worn. Another approach is to get one new tire and have it be shaved down to the circumference matching the rest of the worn tires; yes, really.

Your decision will depend on wear, drivetrain warranty considerations if ultimately not matching all 4 tires' circumference, cost tradeoff of shaving one vs replacing all 4, and how long you plan to keep the car. In this thread, I didn't have any such issue since my replacement was at only 2K km on the tires with basically no wear, but your situation is different.
      11-22-2020, 03:09 AM   #37
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

They ride like shit
They sound like shit
They are expensive as shit
They don't handle worth a shit
They don't work worth a shit

I drove 6 hours home from the dealer on Runflats, and had a set of non-RFTs waiting on me in my garage..... which were on the car about a week after I bought it.

The RFTs are still sitting in my basement.... with about 500 miles on them, and I hope I never have to put the POS's back on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #38
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I dislike runflats but am also in Canada... so what can I do? I did pick up a run a d tire warranty from the dealership at a slight discount when I bought the car because I live in an area with a lot of houses being built. If I have to replace a couple of inflated it will pay for itself (I have contis, not Pirellis). If I’m lucky I’ll pick up a few screws as the tires near their end of life...

Lexi, the 19” is the right spare. It fits over the sport brakes. I’ve confirmed that through a few sources. I just don’t want to spend the $1k or so on it plus shipping. Maybe after I can travel to the US and avoid shipping charges. I hate not having a spare tire. I feel naked without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #39
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

If they were non RFT , because of the position of the nail they would definitely be repairable here in the UK.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why RFT are not repairable. I never knew this.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #40
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

According to manufacturers, the internal structure of the tire is designed to crumple and get wrecked in a way that provides enough of a tire-like experience for a set distance. So, basically, once you drive on it when you have a flat you wreck the internal structure. The tire could likely be patched and reinflated but would not work well as a run flat.

That being said, I have heard of people patching runflats. I would assume repairability is dependent on how much internal structure degradation there is. I also assume that manufacturers say they cannot be repaired because they don’t want the liability of it not working after a repair (sort of like when you drop a bike helmet.)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #41
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Ah yes that makes sense.I presume if you hadn’t driven on it at all then you could in theory get it repaired. Thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #42
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
I dislike runflats but am also in Canada... so what can I do? I did pick up a run a d tire warranty from the dealership at a slight discount when I bought the car because I live in an area with a lot of houses being built. If I have to replace a couple of inflated it will pay for itself (I have contis, not Pirellis). If I’m lucky I’ll pick up a few screws as the tires near their end of life...

Lexi, the 19” is the right spare. It fits over the sport brakes. I’ve confirmed that through a few sources. I just don’t want to spend the $1k or so on it plus shipping. Maybe after I can travel to the US and avoid shipping charges. I hate not having a spare tire. I feel naked without it.
I have secured a spare after that RFT experience. Climax of the story here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25178829 and details of the saga scattered around many threads and posts.
      11-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #43
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Awesome sauce! Did you have to get a new trunk tray to secure the spare, or is it loose but not making noise?
Please keep me in mind if you ever sell your car... I don’t know how much luck I’ll have with dealers in Ottawa (probably none... they aren’t known for being helpful.)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #44
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Awesome sauce! Did you have to get a new trunk tray to secure the spare, or is it loose but not making noise?
Please keep me in mind if you ever sell your car... I don't know how much luck I'll have with dealers in Ottawa (probably none... they aren't known for being helpful.)
Canadian G05 do not have the post that secures the spare to the car in its cavity. However, the spare assembly is quite heavy and if you secure the jack kit to the spare the way I've shown in my pics, there are no rattles or movement at all with the whole thing just lying in the cavity. The cavity is almost form fitting as well, so that helps too I guess.