United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
If anyone from BMWNA or BMWAG reads this forum, I hope they have a very red face. Also, the GM at the SC plant should be talking to the head of QC. Very sad and disappointing story.
I certainly hope they would feel that way. I haven't posted anything that isn't true or accurate on here. I updated the OP with new info if you're curious.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #68
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
See below email from the SM for today's update
Well, that reads as a promising note.. .. time will tell. No clue where you get your patience from, mine disappeared just from reading your posts
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #69
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Well, that reads as a promising note.. .. time will tell. No clue where you get your patience from, mine disappeared just from reading your posts
It's an illusion, I really don't have any but I'm forced to deal with it. With this being said I'm not doing anyone a favor by losing my shit so while yes, I am really frustrated, there isn't much I can do until they finish this repair. On another note, they're paying $38 a day for this rental since they didn't have any loaners Being back in an Audi is weird, It makes me miss my BMW, that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #70
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It seems like are trying to get everything taken care of. I know you feel otherwise but I still say a huge part of the problem was the other dealer. It seems to me they had no interest in working on the vehicle or communicating with BMW and fighting for you. Just the fact that they never replaced the antenna the first time shows me they had no interest in doing things correctly.

Hopefully this dealer gets everything taken care of just in case the buy back doesn't go through.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      08-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #71
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It seems like are trying to get everything taken care of. I know you feel otherwise but I still say a huge part of the problem was the other dealer. It seems to me they had no interest in working on the vehicle or communicating with BMW and fighting for you. Just the fact that they never replaced the antenna the first time shows me they had no interest in doing things correctly.

Hopefully this dealer gets everything taken care of just in case the buy back doesn't go through.
This dealer is better so far but that doesn't change how many issues I've had with the car. Systems have failed and created real safety issues for everyone on the road. I believe BMW should approve a trade assist before they are legally forced to do so. It's in their best interest as a brand because I have no doubt more issues will surface with my car given its history. Those modules should not fail, that's a huge deal if you know what can happen and read the crazy stuff that I saw/experienced.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #72
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
This dealer is better so far but that doesn't change how many issues I've had with the car. Systems have failed and created real safety issues for everyone on the road. I believe BMW should approve a trade assist before they are legally forced to do so. It's in their best interest as a brand because I have no doubt more issues will surface with my car given its history. Those modules should not fail, that's a huge deal if you know what can happen and read the crazy stuff that I saw/experienced.
I think they should have done a trade assist before and certainly offer it now but I also think that there is a high possibility that your car could have been fixed. If someone would have properly diagnosed and fixed things to begin with you probably would not have had these problems.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #73
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I think they should have done a trade assist before and certainly offer it now but I also think that there is a high possibility that your car could have been fixed. If someone would have properly diagnosed and fixed things to begin with you probably would not have had these problems.
I wish I could agree that it'll be fixed. The SM said they aren't 100% sure the PCM is what's causing those issues but are assuming it is. He's straight forward and I'm thankful for that. What's concerning is they don't really know what'sm going on and are only fixing stuff that is easy not the true root problem. A PCM doesn't just fail, sorry but there's another issue causing this.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      08-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #74
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
I wish I could agree that it'll be fixed. The SM said they aren't 100% sure the PCM is what's causing those issues but are assuming it is. He's straight forward and I'm thankful for that. What's concerning is they don't really know what'sm going on and are only fixing stuff that is easy not the true root problem. A PCM doesn't just fail, sorry but there's another issue causing this.
Well... electronics can "just fail" by virtue of a phenomenon known as infant mortality. I'm hopeful that this may be the common denominator to your myriad of seemingly unrelated issues!
      08-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #75
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well... electronics can "just fail" by virtue of a phenomenon known as infant mortality. I'm hopeful that this may be the common denominator to your myriad of seemingly unrelated issues!
that is true, the odds of having this many failures in one car is a statistical anomaly as is meaning there's another issue here if you logically think about it. I can hope my car is fine but I know it won't be, at least not for long. I'm optimistic that they'll fix what's currently broken just not what's causing the breaking.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #76
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

There is a good chance your SM is going to be correct in his thought that the PCM is at the root of most of the errors you have seen. Digital electronics don't always flat out fail when voltages to our of spec'; they just end up doing crazy things. I've got a story about a vacuum cleaner sending a computer into a gibberish mode and you can't believe how hard it was to debug the problem.

In any case, even if his thought turns out to be correct your car needs to be traded out. When a control computer goes into gibberish mode there is no telling what kind of stress is put on the things it controls that will later result in more faults; a computer that controls hardware can physically damage things. I've got stories about that too; a teletype spitting out springs and other parts, a core memory module literally having its cores torn loose, both by computer programs generating gibberish.
Appreciate 2
gpitts247.00
      08-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #77
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
There is a good chance your SM is going to be correct in his thought that the PCM is at the root of most of the errors you have seen. Digital electronics don't always flat out fail when voltages to our of spec'; they just end up doing crazy things. I've got a story about a vacuum cleaner sending a computer into a gibberish mode and you can't believe how hard it was to debug the problem.

In any case, even if his thought turns out to be correct your car needs to be traded out. When a control computer goes into gibberish mode there is no telling what kind of stress is put on the things it controls that will later result in more faults; a computer that controls hardware can physically damage things. I've got stories about that too; a teletype spitting out springs and other parts, a core memory module literally having its cores torn loose, both by computer programs generating gibberish.
I work with electronics that control various things on the production side of oil Wells. I seen first hand daily what failing boards, voltage difference etc can do/cause so I agree that the PCU/PCM might be causing the issues present. I don't think this is the root cause though given how these things happened before and none of those codes came up outside the antenna/telematics. I certainly believe they are tired together but boards in a new vehicle rarely fail to this extent. Given that my rear battery has issues frkm delivery it's possible there's more than one bad module which isn't off enough to throw a code... yet. I think others will fail but I'd love to be wrong I wonder if maybe a wire is secure but not 100% and that's cussing higher resistance therefore heat, hear can cause current to go up or voltages to drop depending on how things are configured. All I am saying is there's a million possibilities here and I don't want to assume it's just 1 module.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #78
Xfive
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I wonder if the original servicing dealer properly powered down the car before working on it. If they did not power it down and started disconnecting/reconnecting equipment, I'm sure that would cause chaos. Either way I hope this dealer can help pull off a trade assist for you.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #79
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfive View Post
I wonder if the original servicing dealer properly powered down the car before working on it. If they did not power it down and started disconnecting/reconnecting equipment, I'm sure that would cause chaos. Either way I hope this dealer can help pull off a trade assist for you.
I took delivery from the factory at BMW of Dallas. Odds' are they may have made a mistake, I don't know. I asked them but the SM said they don't make that call which is a lie... I wish people would be upfront about that stuff. The SM was shocked by the number of faults it was throwing and its lengthy history which says a lot. Still, the first-ever reported case of the gas pedal issue per what he was telling me but who knows if that's true
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #80
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
that is true, the odds of having this many failures in one car is a statistical anomaly as is meaning there's another issue here if you logically think about it. I can hope my car is fine but I know it won't be, at least not for long. I'm optimistic that they'll fix what's currently broken just not what's causing the breaking.
...unless the power module affects the quality or tolerances of the voltages going to those other quirky modules. But that is what we engineers call a SWAG. 😉
      08-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #81
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...unless the power module affects the quality or tolerances of the voltages going to those other quirky modules. But that is what we engineers call a SWAG.
Only time will tell my car has plenty of SWAG per your definition
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      08-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #82
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
BMW once again declining my request for a trade assist despite not being able to program the car or find the real issue. This must be some sort of joke internally by now

Edit: Another interesting development. My former case manager, Fran, gave me a call today. I explained what was going on and they are reopening my case. I have no confidence in anything else getting done via BMW NA, at the same time I want to be optimistic.
Attached Images

Last edited by AndroidRobot; 08-29-2019 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #83
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW once again declining my request for a trade assist despite not being able to program the car or find the real issue. This must be some sort of joke internally by now
I would say that isn't a firm "no trade assistance"; it sounds conditional to me. Once BMW confirms that neither BMW nor the dealer can program your vehicle BMW might reconsider.

Can the car even be driven if it is not programmed?

Doesn't TX have a lemon law that forces BMW to take the car back if they can't stop the error messages from popping up?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #84
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I would say that isn't a firm "no trade assistance"; it sounds conditional to me. Once BMW confirms that neither BMW nor the dealer can program your vehicle BMW might reconsider.

Can the car even be driven if it is not programmed?

Doesn't TX have a lemon law that forces BMW to take the car back if they can't stop the error messages from popping up?
They will figure it out but the amount of issues I've had is beyond normal and I don't foresee them stopping. I guess we will find out eventually. as always I'll keep this updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #85
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They will figure it out but the amount of issues I've had is beyond normal and I don't foresee them stopping. I guess we will find out eventually. as always I'll keep this updated.
Thanks for keeping us updated. If Shakespeare were still around I'm sure he would use your travails as an outline for a play...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #86
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for keeping us updated. If Shakespeare were still around I'm sure he would use your travails as an outline for a play...
it certainly wouldn't be a Romeo an Juliet more like MacBeth
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #87
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
it certainly wouldn't be a Romeo an Juliet more like MacBeth
You may want to re-read Romeo and Juliet. It didn’t turn out so well either.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #88
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
You may want to re-read Romeo and Juliet. It didn’t turn out so well either.
The issue is I'm not planning to kill myself, on the other hand my car keeps trying to
Appreciate 0