BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Car accelerated without pushing gas pedal

While in bumper to bumper traffic on a one lane road, I noticed the car doesn't stop accelerating even when I fully stop and have to press brake pedal so firmly to keep the car from moving. The engine kept making acceleration noise constantly. I first started changing driving mode from Eco to comfort and sport but didn't matter and only made the rev higher with the mode. I put the car in neutral but no help. I then turned off the engine and turned back one still same issue. Problem was I was in a backed up road so couldn't accelerate at all myself as the car already accelerated by itself. Finally after 5mins or so scary situation at a full stop auto on/off turned off the engine and when it came back on it was all good.

I wonder if you guys experienced something similar? Since my software about a month ago (I'm on one of early 7/2019.xx versions) I had noticed on eco mode while its cruising, time to time the car goes by itself but it was scary in bumper to bumper traffic and I had no way of resetting it. I suspect its a bug/hung state in Software related to acceleration so may take it to the dealer for a software upgrade. Its one of those things thats so hard to replicate to show to the dealership.

I should add no driver assist mode (cruise etc) was enabled
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Wow, haven't seen or heard anything like this before. Subscribed to this thread!
      09-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
egar2099
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Very scary. Please report to BMW NA. They might be able to pull EDR data.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
In assisted cruise etc, it should accelerate if there's nothing in front, and you are not braking, but braking should cancel the cruise and leave you in control...

ONE thing to watch out for is that assited cruise might try to accelerate in a corner, or a roundabout if there's nobody in front, or it 'loses track' of someone in front (on the other side of a roundabout)...
      09-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egar2099 View Post
Very scary. Please report to BMW NA. They might be able to pull EDR data.
Is there a phone line or email? I can go to dealer Monday but not sure they'll do much besides software update. BMW NA might be better route if they can analyze data and see what happened at that time.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
In assisted cruise etc, it should accelerate if there's nothing in front, and you are not braking, but braking should cancel the cruise and leave you in control...

ONE thing to watch out for is that assited cruise might try to accelerate in a corner, or a roundabout if there's nobody in front, or it 'loses track' of someone in front (on the other side of a roundabout)...
As I said above not assisted driving option/mode was active
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
egar2099
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Is there a phone line or email? I can go to dealer Monday but not sure they'll do much besides software update. BMW NA might be better route if they can analyze data and see what happened at that time.
Call 1-800-831-1117 for Customer Relations

They should take unintended acceleration seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

mattsrs, if this was truly a scary experience that you felt you had zero control over, I would also report it to NHTSA - you can do so here.. .. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
+1 on everyone's comments. Subscribed and following. Haven't experienced anything like that ... yet.
      09-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
mattsrs, if this was truly a scary experience that you felt you had zero control over, I would also report it to NHTSA - you can do so here.. .. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I'd go this route first.

Then immediately contact bmw na and tell them:

I filed a complaint here. Thought you would be interested in this safety issue.

Probably the only way someone will take your seriously.

Polite and professional. Your are helping them
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I wouldn't say I had zero control but I had to press brake pedal so hard to make sure doesn't move. Engine rev was constantly around 2500rpm. Should've filmed it with my phone but in those moments my focus was to get out of the zombie mode. If my wife was driving and this happened not sure how she could've handled it. I will call BMW NA first and if they didn't take it seriously will file with NHTSA.

I just checked my software version and it is 7/2019.39

Last edited by mattsrs; 09-20-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post

that's why it's important to know when you should and shouldn't use cruise control in any car but people don't seem to care because I've seen that happen
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I think you should call the dealer first. Almost for sure, the dealer will need to look at it so see what is going on. My guess is that if you call BMW NA they will ask if you have gone to a dealer to have it looked at.

What do you expect BMW NA to do? They aren't going to fix it. NHSTA isn't going to fix it either. If BMW NA thinks it is a safety issue they are going to tell you to not drive the car and call a dealer or customer support to get it towed to a dealer to be checked. After all, you are talking about unexpected behavior from the car while it is moving.

If you really feel that your wife would not handle the acceleration issue properly then, yikes, I would call the car unsafe.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
egar2099
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I think you should call the dealer first. Almost for sure, the dealer will need to look at it so see what is going on. My guess is that if you call BMW NA they will ask if you have gone to a dealer to have it looked at.

What do you expect BMW NA to do? They aren't going to fix it. NHSTA isn't going to fix it either. If BMW NA thinks it is a safety issue they are going to tell you to not drive the car and call a dealer or customer support to get it towed to a dealer to be checked. After all, you are talking about unexpected behavior from the car while it is moving.

If you really feel that your wife would not handle the acceleration issue properly then, yikes, I would call the car unsafe.
You report to BMW NA and NHSTA to allow for a record of the incident to be created. I agree you should visit your dealer as well.
Appreciate 0