BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Software update not going to plan...

My X5 is in for a software update today (currently 03/2019.48). I had experienced the following behaviour over the past couple of weeks:
  • GPS location misaligned by >700m
  • iDrive and Instrument Cluster both went black
  • Rear camera drops out
  • Apple Carplay audio drops out and disconnects intermittently

I also asked them to investigate why the emergency brake assist does not work when parking. It will be nice when OTA is enabled and these issues can be addressed on the driveway. This is my second trip to the dealer for software-related issues in 6 months.

I had not heard anything since I dropped the vehicle at 8am. It's nearly 4pm now so I text the dealer for an update. Apparently they're struggling with a "point-to-point" diagnostic with BMW Canada. Sounds like I may be walking home later!

Last edited by russelldav; 09-20-2019 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Most dealers have only a couple ISTA/P programming systems. And for each vehicle it takes 1-2.5 hours, assuming there's no issues. You might be in line behind other cars.
      09-21-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Most dealers have only a couple ISTA/P programming systems. And for each vehicle it takes 1-2.5 hours, assuming there's no issues. You might be in line behind other cars.
Agreed they might also be waiting for BMW to authorise the update. Mine ran over to the following day when it went in for an update. They were investigating an engine fan failure warning BMW asked them to remove fan and bench test then update software. I followed movement using remote view....car went in and out of workshop at one point sitting outside for 4 hours fealer said waiting for response from BMW. They finally got a slot to get it onto a programming system on the following morning
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Plus the damn programming has a habit of crashing and needing help from BMW. My dealer hates the thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

So I did get it back eventually with 07/2019.53.

The service report is interesting - it shows how many resets I had made of the iDrive, and all the failure messages stored. Apparently the diagnosis is a new head unit however BMW remotely programmed the car and have asked me to monitor it before they go ahead with a head unit swap.

The dealer gave me a load of BS saying I had received an "experimental" software version from the engineers. I highly doubt that. I suspect he had just never seen 07/2019.53 before.

I can see caring car and the experience modes now, I also noticed the map is always present in the instrument cluster and is larger / more colourful. No sign of the driving assist screens others have shown even when I used the autonomous mode on the highway. Any clue how you trigger that? Also no sign of the pre-ventilation temp settings for the seats or steering wheel in the climate mode.

Maybe they will slowly appear as caring car etc. Was not there when I picked it up from the dealer but was when I went out about 3 hours later.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post

The service report is interesting - it shows how many resets I had made of the iDrive, and all the failure messages stored. Apparently the diagnosis is a new head unit however BMW remotely programmed the car and have asked me to monitor it before they go ahead with a head unit swap.

The dealer gave me a load of BS saying I had received an "experimental" software version from the engineers. I highly doubt that. I suspect he had just never seen 07/2019.53 before.

I can see caring car and the experience modes now, I also noticed the map is always present in the instrument cluster and is larger / more colourful. No sign of the driving assist screens others have shown even when I used the autonomous mode on the highway. Any clue how you trigger that? Also no sign of the pre-ventilation temp settings for the seats or steering wheel in the climate mode.

Maybe they will slowly appear as caring car etc. Was not there when I picked it up from the dealer but was when I went out about 3 hours later.
I just got the X5 back after being at the dealership for 2 weeks. They put on 07/2019.47 so I'm a bit behind you. I finally got all the features I was missing like Experience Mode, Caring Car, Climate Rules etc. I've played with them all and work great. I don't have the Driving Assist Screens either. I noticed more detail in the instrument cluster but didn't see any colour map details. I did test the Autonomous mode yesterday and it worked flawlessly. What I did notice is that it took about a minute before it engaged into Driving Assistant Plus. As soon as the message comes up on the screen you are good to go. Also it only works at 60 km/h or less. Beyond 60 km/h you'll need to put your hands on the wheel.

On a separate note, I did complain about the Cross Traffic Warning and he said he'd look at it. I'm not sure if this software version did anything to correct that. Also, the BT connection is great. So far no issues with the screen either.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Quote:

I just got the X5 back after being at the dealership for 2 weeks. They put on 07/2019.47 so I'm a bit behind you. I finally got all the features I was missing like Experience Mode, Caring Car, Climate Rules etc. I've played with them all and work great. I don't have the Driving Assist Screens either. I noticed more detail in the instrument cluster but didn't see any colour map details. I did test the Autonomous mode yesterday and it worked flawlessly. What I did notice is that it took about a minute before it engaged into Driving Assistant Plus. As soon as the message comes up on the screen you are good to go. Also it only works at 60 km/h or less. Beyond 60 km/h you'll need to put your hands on the wheel.

On a separate note, I did complain about the Cross Traffic Warning and he said he'd look at it. I'm not sure if this software version did anything to correct that. Also, the BT connection is great. So far no issues with the screen either.
Where are you able to find the climate rules?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
No sign of the driving assist screens others have shown even when I used the autonomous mode on the highway. Any clue how you trigger that? .
The driver assist in the IC is not available for the 2019s, only the 2020s get it for now.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Should be with the Apps and also in the Car settings.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Found it - thanks.

Shame about the Driver Assist only working on 2020s. That must be codeable.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Found it - thanks.

I would think it will. I just hope the developer updates the BimmerCode App as we have lost most of the features outside of the Auto Start Stop.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Found it - thanks.

Yes it is. Here is a thread with a walkthrough of one way to do it.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653100
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Quote:

Wow! Two weeks what took them so long what was the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #14
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Quote:

Wow! Two weeks what took them so long what was the problem?
Lol. Not sure. They never gave me a work order. It went in for a Driver Seat cover replacement, trim replacement, rim repair and software update. I picked it up and and they had completed the rim repair and software update. The seat and trim are on back order.

I'm happy with the software update. No issues. If anything my iPhone connects much faster, the iDrive has been flawless and I now have Experience Modes, Caring Car and Climate Rules. I question if some of the safety features are operational like the Assisted Braking.

The only thing that bugs me is I lost the coding and now I can only code using the BimmerCode the Auto Start / Stop. Hoping the developer will update this soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
sounds like my car, except that was without an update. I hope it gets addressed properly
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0