BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

"Bubble" Under Sensatec Dash?

Hi all,

Picked up my new G05 yesterday and absolutely love it.

Was travelling home this evening and noticed this area near my HUD that seems to be a bubble under the dash. It feels like an area where the sensatec has lifted from not having enough glue.

Not sure if I'm being overly fussy or this is normal, so was hoping someone could help and let me know if theirs is similar or this isn't right.

Will get more pics in daylight tomorrow, best I could get at the mo is attached.

Thanks
David
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

You are not being too picky. As it is it should be fixed. If you don’t fix it, it is libel to spread.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Ugh, like the opposite of a sagging headliner....I'd take it to the dealer and ask for a fix. No clue how they will fix it though and I'd hate the thought of them pulling the dash out They might inject glue via a syringe. I would certainly ask them how they intend to fix it before giving them permission to take it into their own hands.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Ugh, like the opposite of a sagging headliner....I'd take it to the dealer and ask for a fix. No clue how they will fix it though and I'd hate the thought of them pulling the dash out They might inject glue via a syringe. I would certainly ask them how they intend to fix it before giving them permission to take it into their own hands.

Thanks both, wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid but seems there might be an actual problem...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I agree with them too. You're not being too picky and it'll probably get worse as time wears on.
      09-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Should I also say something about the door sills that I've noticed today?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Ok so just been down to BMW.

They're going to be replacing the dash and the door sill kick plates.

They did say it was a big job and asked if I wanted to go ahead with it, but I said that as there's a chance it could get worse I'd rather not risk it and as I've seen it and it's directly in my line of sight I won't be able to just leave it.

Hopefully it will go ok!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

That's a good idea, it will probably just get bigger if you leave it. It will also affect its resale price when that day comes. I, also, hope it goes well. Replacing the dash is big job.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #9
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjpaypal View Post

They did say it was a big job and asked if I wanted to go ahead with it, but I said that as there's a chance it could get worse I'd rather not risk it and as I've seen it and it's directly in my line of sight I won't be able to just leave it.

Hopefully it will go ok!
How long is it going to take them and hopefully youre getting a courtesy car? Thats grounds for rejection to be honest
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #10
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:

Hopefully it will go ok!
How long is it going to take them and hopefully youre getting a courtesy car? Thats grounds for rejection to be honest
Reject the entire car?

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth... the change in insurance documentation alone would be a headache!

I'm going to let them give it a go- if they mess it up then I'll kick up more of a fuss.

Just a shame they don't have a way to repair without complete removal.

Perhaps they can upgrade to a real leather dash rather than sensatec 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Reject the entire car?

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth... the change in insurance documentation alone would be a headache!

I'm going to let them give it a go- if they mess it up then I'll kick up more of a fuss.

Perhaps they can upgrade to a real leather dash rather than sensatec 😂
Ugh! I would probably not survive a complete dash replacement. I am actually a little surprised they cannot insert a tiny needle into the bubble and lightly try to fill it with glue, just to see if that works, before going through the hassle of a dash replacement. I mean for me, a dash replacement would be last resort. If they screw up the glueing or it just doesn't work, they can always replace the dash.

I hate rattles and uneven seams and cannot imagine they can get it back to factory tight when done and the potential collateral damage to the rest of your interior is beyond my ability to cope. I would have pressed for a replacement car and done the insurance paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Reject the entire car?

Perhaps they can upgrade to a real leather dash rather than sensatec
Ugh! I would probably not survive a complete dash replacement. I am actually a little surprised they cannot insert a tiny needle into the bubble and lightly try to fill it with glue, just to see if that works, before going through the hassle of a dash replacement. I mean for me, a dash replacement would be last resort. If they screw up the glueing or it just doesn't work, they can always replace the dash.

I hate rattles and uneven seams and cannot imagine they can get it back to factory tight when done and the potential collateral damage to the rest of your interior is beyond my ability to cope. I would have pressed for a replacement car and done the insurance paperwork.
I had an issue with the dash in my Audi SQ5, a Ft Worth dealer replaced it under warranty. it was the last resort but there were no rattles. they did, however, mess up my instrument panel surrounding trim quite a bit
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I imagine that the entire dash will be removed to fix it. Yikes. I don’t know if I would do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #14
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I had an issue with the dash in my Audi SQ5, a Ft Worth dealer replaced it under warranty. it was the last resort but there were no rattles. they did, however, mess up my instrument panel surrounding trim quite a bit
Did they fix their damage to the instrument panel?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #15
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Hi all,

Quick update on this.

Collected the repaired car last week. In total it took 2 months to get the part in, and then a further 2 weeks to fix.

It would have only taken 2 days to fix, however it turns out the VIN strip on the dash is not supposed to be transferrable (security I'm assuming), and it broke when they tried to remove from old dash. Unfortunately it was a back order part, so took a while to get in.

All in all, extremely happy with the service, care and attention all members of staff had at Harold Wood (Essex) servicing dept. Car back as good as new, and *touch wood* no rattles yet...!
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
      12-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Hi all,

Quick update on this.

Collected the repaired car last week. In total it took 2 months to get the part in, and then a further 2 weeks to fix.

It would have only taken 2 days to fix, however it turns out the VIN strip on the dash is not supposed to be transferrable (security I'm assuming), and it broke when they tried to remove from old dash. Unfortunately it was a back order part, so took a while to get in.

All in all, extremely happy with the service, care and attention all members of staff had at Harold Wood (Essex) servicing dept. Car back as good as new, and *touch wood* no rattles yet...!
Good stuff, nice to have met you there by chance!
Appreciate 0